2004 CR250R will not idle.

wesmoto101
Hey guys new to the forum.

I’ve got a 2004 cr250r that’s in beautiful shape. However, it will not idle. I’ve cleaned the hell out of every orphace in the carb, and have cleaned and recleaned the idle circuit. I set all jetting back to stock.

Symptoms:
-When warming the bike up it loads up bad and and the only way to clean it out is holding it wfo for 5 or 6 seconds.
- the air screw has no effect on idle speed, I can run it all the way in or completely remove it with no effect.
-Also there seems to be a lot of unburnt fuel getting kicked back into the air box. (From the reeds) but this happens with the stock reed block installed or aftermarket vforce 3.

This thing is giving me one hell of a headache. Any ideas or advice is greatly appreciated.
|
Paw Paw
10/25/2017 3:08pm
Have you reset the float level?

Paw Paw
wesmoto101
10/25/2017 4:30pm
Paw Paw wrote:
Have you reset the float level?

Paw Paw
No I have not, I did not know float level could contribute to such a condition. I’ll give it a shot.

The Shop

ktm-5
10/25/2017 6:14pm
I would only say crank seal if your silencer was spitting out little drops of oil if not then I'd say no. Like paw paw said check your float level and maybe drop your pilot jet 2 or 3 sizes. Being your air/fuel screw doesn't change idel at all whether it is turned in all the way or not then u may be giving it too much fuel hence the no change, the bike should wanna die when turned in all the way
wesmoto101
10/25/2017 8:07pm
ktm-5 wrote:
I would only say crank seal if your silencer was spitting out little drops of oil if not then I'd say no. Like paw paw said...
I would only say crank seal if your silencer was spitting out little drops of oil if not then I'd say no. Like paw paw said check your float level and maybe drop your pilot jet 2 or 3 sizes. Being your air/fuel screw doesn't change idel at all whether it is turned in all the way or not then u may be giving it too much fuel hence the no change, the bike should wanna die when turned in all the way
I will try both of these this weekend, have jets on the way as a matter of fact. Thanks!
10/26/2017 6:55am
I am having a similar problem with my 2004 CR250R. I've owned it for years and it has always ran perfectly. I went down the same path swapping out the reed block and leaning the jetting. I put VP vpr fuel in it and it ran great. I drained the vpr and put the original fuel back in and it loaded up and wanted to foul the plug. The original fuel was premium from a Shell station down the street. I am not sure if this station is actually selling Shell gas or if it is the cheapest fuel they can get. I've seen the fuel delivery truck and it does not say Shell on it. I am going to try premium pump gas from a Race trac or qt and see what happens. The vp vpr stunk up the whole house and my wife wanted to kill me, so it is not an option.
Hondas4Life3
10/26/2017 1:13pm
My stator side crank seal went bad on my 05 cr250. It would run fine and sometimes I could get it to idle but most of the time it would die. Leakdown test will tell you if it needs replaced.
wesmoto101
11/6/2017 8:56am
Well, I set the float level correctly, jetted the pilot from a 32.5 (stock) one step down to a 30. Stuck a new plug in it and it idled great... for 30 seconds. Crank seal?!
jchek779
11/6/2017 5:51pm
wesmoto101 wrote:
Well, I set the float level correctly, jetted the pilot from a 32.5 (stock) one step down to a 30. Stuck a new plug in it...
Well, I set the float level correctly, jetted the pilot from a 32.5 (stock) one step down to a 30. Stuck a new plug in it and it idled great... for 30 seconds. Crank seal?!
The times I've had crank seal issues, the bike would rev down from cracking the throttle with a distinct sound of dehhn....dehnn....dehnnn....dehnnn
An easy way to check the mag side crank seal is to get the bike running and squirt some carb cleaner behind the flywheel. The idea is to see if the revs climb because the crankcase is pulling in the carb cleaner. I've also heard of people using an unlit propane torch with the fuel on instead of carb cleaner
beamer
11/6/2017 6:01pm
wesmoto101 wrote:
Well, I set the float level correctly, jetted the pilot from a 32.5 (stock) one step down to a 30. Stuck a new plug in it...
jchek779 wrote:
The times I've had crank seal issues, the bike would rev down from cracking the throttle with a distinct sound of dehhn....dehnn....dehnnn....dehnnn An easy way to...
The times I've had crank seal issues, the bike would rev down from cracking the throttle with a distinct sound of dehhn....dehnn....dehnnn....dehnnn
An easy way to check the mag side crank seal is to get the bike running and squirt some carb cleaner behind the flywheel. The idea is to see if the revs climb because the crankcase is pulling in the carb cleaner. I've also heard of people using an unlit propane torch with the fuel on instead of carb cleaner
Ether, that’s a gooder too
11/7/2017 6:16am
I put a Lectron carb on mine and it runs great! Better than great. I can't believe how crisp it is. This has to be what a fuel injected 2-stroke will be like.
wesmoto101
11/7/2017 8:11pm
I put a Lectron carb on mine and it runs great! Better than great. I can't believe how crisp it is. This has to be what...
I put a Lectron carb on mine and it runs great! Better than great. I can't believe how crisp it is. This has to be what a fuel injected 2-stroke will be like.
I wish that was in the budget!
wesmoto101
11/7/2017 8:12pm
wesmoto101 wrote:
jchek779 wrote:
The times I've had crank seal issues, the bike would rev down from cracking the throttle with a distinct sound of dehhn....dehnn....dehnnn....dehnnn An easy way to...
beamer wrote:
Ether, that’s a gooder too
Will do guys thanks for the info.

Post a reply to: 2004 CR250R will not idle.

The Latest