2004 CR125 Ignition Timing

cobra46
Edited Date/Time 4/11/2018 12:24pm
Hey all.

First post here. Just got done doing a bottom end on my son's bike. The service manual says to use a timing light to set the ignition timing but this has proved difficult. It's been difficult because I can't get a freaking timing light that actually works. I finally bought a light that says it works with two strokes and has a tach but it doesn't fire the light.

Anyway, a dude I work with loaned me a dial indicator and said they time kart engines with the indicator. This sounds like a great method but my service manual doesn't make any mention of this technique so I don't know how to set the stator. Anyone have any insight?

By the way, the bike runs great and we've put several hours on it with the timing set to the default position.

Thanks
|
4/10/2018 5:11pm
The CR125 has a fixed timing mark on the stator plate and inner engine case. Simply line up the marks on the plate, (they may be shown as an arrow), and the engine and tighten down the plate.

Post some pics of the inside of your ignition side part- J
cobra46
4/11/2018 12:20pm
Getting my son to turn a wrench is like pulling teeth.

Anyway here's a photo with the piston at TDC as verified by a dial indicator. I'm thinking things are good to go since the single line on the flywheel lines up with the line on the stator. The book says to make sure the double line is lined up at 3000 rpm.

I tried to take the photo as square as possible. There's a lot of error if you look even at a slight angle.

4/11/2018 12:24pm
Yes, you are good, that stator plate has a small pin/lock position on it as well now that I look at it..should fire right up-

Post a reply to: 2004 CR125 Ignition Timing

The Latest