2003 CR250R brakes compared to new bikes

Yesterday I test rode the 2022 Yamaha YZF450/250 and YZ250 during a demo day ride event and was amazed at how much more powerful the front brakes were on the new bikes compared to mine.

Couple of questions:

1. Has braking technology progressed that much in the last 15 to 20 years that no amount of master cylinder/caliper rebuilding, brake line replacement etc. is ever going to get the 2003 era OEM components I'm using even close to the 2022 level?

2. If the braking power and feel should NOT be night and different and at least somewhat close what would you suggest? I have fresh pads, no leaks, properly routed lines and a properly bled system and have never once felt like my brakes were compromised or lacking until riding those newer bikes.

Thank you

|
rhummel628
4/25/2022 8:28pm
You can try an oversized front rotor, stainless braided lines and fresh rebuilds on your masters and calipers to get you closer. I did that on my 07 cr250 and added ebc mxs pads. It’s pretty close to my buddies 2020 crf450r brakes now as far as power. I feel better modulation with the newer stuff though.
4/26/2022 11:35am
I could be wrong on the year but I think the crf,s got a new style ball actuater etc master cylinder in 07. Not sure of later yr up dates. I hv to update my 04 cr125 brakes master cylinders need a full rebuild. I,ll make a rebuild for the practice bike work but I need a lot more powerful brakes for the mod bike.
Rickyisms
4/26/2022 1:50pm
The CRF cylinder swap seems to be the popular route for most bikes. I have a KTM so I haven’t done it, but if you search it’s easy to find what year MC and what all you need to do. I suppose fitting a brembo MC off a KTM would be good as well, just don’t know what’s involved. Oversized rotor is a good easy start, that with something like Brakings CM46 pads will give you a great base to work with and fine tune.
Rickyisms
4/26/2022 1:50pm
And don’t listen to the guys who tell you they can tell a difference in feel between certain brake fluids. Grinning

The Shop

4/27/2022 2:48am
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to start keeping my eyes pealed for a good deal on any of the newer tech items as suggested. Once again thank you to each of you who responded.
4/29/2022 5:53pm
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to start keeping my eyes pealed for a good deal on any of the newer tech items as suggested...
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to start keeping my eyes pealed for a good deal on any of the newer tech items as suggested. Once again thank you to each of you who responded.
So I have a 2003 CR250, just rebuilt the master, core braided line, rebuilt caliper. 280mm galfer wave rotor on it. Still doesn’t stop as good as my completely OEM stock 2022 CRF450 with I believe a 270 mm front rotor on it
4/29/2022 5:58pm
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to start keeping my eyes pealed for a good deal on any of the newer tech items as suggested...
So I have a 2003 CR250, just rebuilt the master, core braided line, rebuilt caliper. 280mm galfer wave rotor on it. Still doesn’t stop as good...
So I have a 2003 CR250, just rebuilt the master, core braided line, rebuilt caliper. 280mm galfer wave rotor on it. Still doesn’t stop as good as my completely OEM stock 2022 CRF450 with I believe a 270 mm front rotor on it
Thank you Jeff! I totally appreciate the real world comparison. That let's me know what direction to go in.
4/29/2022 6:22pm
So I have a 2003 CR250, just rebuilt the master, core braided line, rebuilt caliper. 280mm galfer wave rotor on it. Still doesn’t stop as good...
Thank you Jeff! I totally appreciate the real world comparison. That let's me know what direction to go in.
Yes sir no problem. I will say the upgrades when I did do the CR250 brake system did help out a good bit. But still not like the 450.
murph783
5/1/2022 11:55am
Rickyisms wrote:
And don’t listen to the guys who tell you they can tell a difference in feel between certain brake fluids. Grinning
I notice only in that I boil anything that doesn’t have a stupid high boiling point…wouldn’t if I’d stop dragging my brakes, but here we are Grinning

Post a reply to: 2003 CR250R brakes compared to new bikes

The Latest