2003 CR250 Front Fork Options

Hi everyone, my dad has been riding my 2003 CR250 now for a couple years and loves it, he has put a ton of time on it riding MX and cased a lot of jumps while he was learning. The forks are wore out with no adjustment left on the clickers and I'm looking for options to rebuild or convert to a newer fork.

I have searched for people that have rebuilt them but mostly found 2001 and prior videos and forum posts. Does anyone have experience rebuilding these or converting their 02-07 CR to different forks?

Thanks for your advice
|
karlz
7/10/2017 9:35am
These forks are good when set up correctly. Make sure you have the correct springs and rebuild with new seals bushes and oil. Another thing to look for is the inner chamber leaking, if so its usually the seal at the top inside the piston that moves on the spring. Hope that makes sense.

www.karlzracing.com
arvid
7/10/2017 9:49am
karlz wrote:
These forks are good when set up correctly. Make sure you have the correct springs and rebuild with new seals bushes and oil. Another thing to...
These forks are good when set up correctly. Make sure you have the correct springs and rebuild with new seals bushes and oil. Another thing to look for is the inner chamber leaking, if so its usually the seal at the top inside the piston that moves on the spring. Hope that makes sense.

www.karlzracing.com
When the inner chamber is leaking what happens then ? is this something you can feel when riding ?
karlz
7/10/2017 1:32pm
The oil in the inner leaks in to the outer chamber and reduces damping as its damping in air and not oil and can also cause the fork seals to leak. A easy way to check if the upper inner chamber seal has failed is as follows. Remove forks hold the upper tube by hand and just shake it. If you hear a metallic rattle inside the top of the fork, the seal needs replacing.

www.karlzracing.com
omalley
7/10/2017 2:43pm
Definitely rebuild. In my opinion the 02-07 CR250/02-08 CRF450 forks were some of the best OE forks ever made once set up correctly.

The Shop

7/10/2017 6:33pm
These forks are awesome and don't need to be swapped out. I'm not sure what you mean by no adjustment left on the clickers. Do they still adjust and click in either direction? Is it that you're not feeling a difference? Are the seals leaking? Rebuilding forks is pretty straight forward and fairly easy. You always have the other fork there to remind you how its assembled if that becomes a problem. When you pull them apart its pretty easy to spot wear.
7/10/2017 8:07pm
Thanks everyone for your advice! To clarify what I meant is the clickers don't make much of a difference and the compression is now all the way in (my dad must have been chasing it trying to make them stiffer). I think the seals have started leaking recently as well. It sounds like rebuilding is the way to go, I have the manual and I've done my ktm 4cs forks so I should be able to figure it out. Will post back with results!
adam8781
7/11/2017 6:33pm
full rebuild is in order, they are great forks, if you can do 4cs complicated garbage you can do your showas, get on youtube they are the same as all twin chamber forks, very easy todo if you have done a 4cs

Post a reply to: 2003 CR250 Front Fork Options

The Latest