2002 Honda CR 250 who to have do Engine work?

r18b
5/6/2018 7:14am
Hello r18b I have not heard or a DPR pipe? Do they sell them here in the USA? We could have a whole thread on Pipes...
Hello r18b I have not heard or a DPR pipe? Do they sell them here in the USA? We could have a whole thread on Pipes here. I’ve found OEM Honda to be hard to beat for overall power.
r18b wrote:
They can be send to the usa. No problem. Tis is a pipe that will beat every other pipe on overall power. DPR 05-07 [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/04/29/258310/s1200_20180429_173851.jpg[/img] Dpr...
They can be send to the usa. No problem. Tis is a pipe that will beat every other pipe on overall power.

DPR 05-07

Dpr 02-04

r18b- Did you get a chance to ride your bike with the DPR pipe in stock trim? Curious if you noticed any power difference on the...
r18b- Did you get a chance to ride your bike with the DPR pipe in stock trim? Curious if you noticed any power difference on the stock bike and how it changed the power. Those pipes are really nice looking!
With a 49 sprocket? Yes. It's the same as with a 50 or 51. A 49 pulls longer trough a gear then a 51. The power is the same.. from the bottom till the end. No need to clime in rpm like a pc pipe. Just always power. Only on my hometrack i need a 51 coz it's a verry narrow short track.
r18b
5/6/2018 7:32am
r18b wrote:
They can be send to the usa. No problem. Tis is a pipe that will beat every other pipe on overall power. DPR 05-07 [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/04/29/258310/s1200_20180429_173851.jpg[/img] Dpr...
They can be send to the usa. No problem. Tis is a pipe that will beat every other pipe on overall power.

DPR 05-07

Dpr 02-04

r18b- Did you get a chance to ride your bike with the DPR pipe in stock trim? Curious if you noticed any power difference on the...
r18b- Did you get a chance to ride your bike with the DPR pipe in stock trim? Curious if you noticed any power difference on the stock bike and how it changed the power. Those pipes are really nice looking!
That DPR Pipe is definitely sweet looking......it looks HUGE in the pics though, almost like the size of a CR500 pipe!
Yes..it looks and it's a little bit bigger and wider compared to a pc pipe.But that's a change off power output from a pipe that makes the difference. Best pipe what ive tried from all those pipes.. even on the cr85 it's running pretty damn good compares to hgs or a pc.

Only i had to go richer on the needle and from 470 to a 490 main compared to a pc.

omalley
5/12/2018 8:23pm
omalley- Have you had a chance to ride your bike yet? What all did you have Tom do to your bike was it a full blueprint...
omalley- Have you had a chance to ride your bike yet? What all did you have Tom do to your bike was it a full blueprint or just cylinder and head porting? Did he modify your Carburetor?
omalley wrote:
Sorry just saw this post. I had him do the cylinder and head. I’m going to have him do the cases this winter, I didn’t want...
Sorry just saw this post. I had him do the cylinder and head. I’m going to have him do the cases this winter, I didn’t want to pull it back apart after 2 rides...

He cut the base, modified the head for VP110, and it looked like he did some work in the transfers and exhaust. I am guessing he’ll do some work to the intake when he gets the cases. He said that most of the gains in the cases comes in the form of better part-throttle response and torque. He also said that the PC pipe and silencer I’m running narrows the power a little vs FMF, so I may try their pipe/silencer as well. Carb is a stock Mikuni TMX with his jetting specs. The only change I had to make was to use a leaner needle jet (vs the needle itself) since the leaner needle isn’t available anymore.
omalley- thanks for the ride report! You got anymore wide open riding you plan on doing to give more feedback on for us? I'm really surprised...
omalley- thanks for the ride report! You got anymore wide open riding you plan on doing to give more feedback on for us? I'm really surprised there isn't more TMR equipped bikes out there for guys to give feedback on?
Okay, got it to a faster track (mostly 3rd and 4th gear). Impressions:

-this engine wants a lot of fuel. I’m at a 420 main and still haven’t hit the point where it sputters or otherwise runs rich on top. Stock needle in the 2nd groove from the top. Going back abd forth between an S9 and S8 nozzle. I went back to the S9 to cure a slight ping, but I think that was overkill and I’ll likely go back to the S8 and fatten the needle clip (the ping was in the low-mid transition).

-it got faster on top when I richened the main. I was clearly a bit lean with the 380 (stock), but didn’t realize it due to the slow track I was on. However, I was able to learn that the overall character is not a screamer on top. Much stronger midrange than stock, with wider range on both sides, but not a mid-up motor like the older CR250s all were. Tom said that the case mods (when I get them) will add some part-throttle torque which should fill in the bottom a bit.

-the mods completely did away with the normal headaches of the Mikuni TMX. I have to think a lot of the issues that we see in that carb come from the poor stock head design. Although I was playing with jetting, once I got it where it is it stayed consistent all day-I never would’ve said that with the stock engine. Back in 02, the guy that bought my bike got an almost new TMX as I swapped it almost immediately.

-I am super happy with the engine mods. It is an absolute blast to ride. For my out of shape, older than I’d like to admit self, it’s controllable but way more fun to ride than stock. Time for some cardio though, haha...

The Shop

Post a reply to: 2002 Honda CR 250 who to have do Engine work?

The Latest