2000 kx 125

Tryhard
So , i bought a new to me kx 125 last year some time . The bike has supposedly been rebuilt and such . Anyways i paid a cheap price for it with intentons of going through it due to lots of sketchy work being seen on the bike ...The whole bike is in a box , and i bought a new matching case set , due to the old one being cracked .

So i broke the entire bike down about a year ago , And im about to get back into the build now that i have some parts stored to get started , i have several questions which maybe a matter of some's opinion but ill shoot for it ...

The bike had a brand new "namura" piston which is crap i know . The cylinder had def been re plated and was clean with barely any hours on new top end ... I plan to replace with wiseco , or stock kx piston if i can get one ..

The crank had 0 up and down play , but had i swear about a 1/4 to 3/8s of an inch side to side play , which just seems unreal . I want the crank rebuilt and done right . can anyone suggest a place to do that , VIA state side ... preferably eastcoast or Virginia.

Also looking to remain with factory forks and strut , i know the 2000 model does not have the best ride quality by far nothing compared to newer models , but not looking to go all out with this one . Can anyone recommend someone to rebuild the forks and strut , for a resonable price??

Thanks , james
|
pmshortt2
3/5/2018 7:29am
I would send the suspension to racetech or factory connection to get it setup for your weight, rebuilt, and whatever kind of riding you’ll be doing. Not sure on getting the crank rebuilt though.
kb228
3/5/2018 7:32am
1/4-3/8 is a bit much compared to my old kx125. Side to side is normal though - just not that much. Ken oconnor racing is on the east coast i believe. Millennium tech does cranks.

If you can build your motor you can rebuild your forks and shock. Its pretty easy. But FCR suspension is fairly close. Hell any small shop can rebuild it.
Tryhard
3/5/2018 7:37am
kb228 wrote:
1/4-3/8 is a bit much compared to my old kx125. Side to side is normal though - just not that much. Ken oconnor racing is on...
1/4-3/8 is a bit much compared to my old kx125. Side to side is normal though - just not that much. Ken oconnor racing is on the east coast i believe. Millennium tech does cranks.

If you can build your motor you can rebuild your forks and shock. Its pretty easy. But FCR suspension is fairly close. Hell any small shop can rebuild it.
Yeah , i took it all apart and still have pretty decent photo graphic memory of everything , i also have the complete service manual for the bike as well . So i may try to dive in to the suspension myself to save some cash for extra stuff , But the side to side play is to much , i know some is okay . I will get in touch with ken oconnor , see what his schedule looks like !

Thanks a ton man
3/5/2018 8:26am
Check the service manual for tolerances. I believe on a YZ250, it’s about a 1/4”, so if yours is in spec for the manual, run it.

You could try The Moto Lab in CT, Factory Connection in NH, Pro Action in PA, or FCR which is in North Carolina I think.

I’ve had good luck with TML, FC is very reputable and comes with some perks if you aren’t happy with it or if you have them service it again. Pro Action is pretty cheap as far as labor goes. Haven’t heard anything about FCR.

The Shop

Tryhard
3/5/2018 9:41am
Check the service manual for tolerances. I believe on a YZ250, it’s about a 1/4”, so if yours is in spec for the manual, run it...
Check the service manual for tolerances. I believe on a YZ250, it’s about a 1/4”, so if yours is in spec for the manual, run it.

You could try The Moto Lab in CT, Factory Connection in NH, Pro Action in PA, or FCR which is in North Carolina I think.

I’ve had good luck with TML, FC is very reputable and comes with some perks if you aren’t happy with it or if you have them service it again. Pro Action is pretty cheap as far as labor goes. Haven’t heard anything about FCR.
Yeah i believe it is a 1/4 inch @ work right now but can check when i get home . Regaurdless i am a firm believer do it once or do it again very soon . The Previous owner installed a " Namura " piston ... That alone tells me i should be very cautious with using anything he / or they did or used ... Thank you for the suggestions , I may do some readin on suspension and using the service manual try and tackle a suspension re build myself

Post a reply to: 2000 kx 125

The Latest