20 ktm 450sx fork help?

sf702/410
Swapped my shock spring this week on the new bike, sags are correct, increased my fork to 11.5 bar ( 285 in gear) and rode a small worn out track and found the fork rather harsh considering the very small hits with no chop. Travel o ring shows about 1.5" remaining before bottoming. Also the steering felt twitchy.

I liked the soft, cushy feel of the stock suspension, minus the fork bottoming (completely). Tubes are factory height. I'm assuming I want to soften compression damping (speed up the stroke) and bump it up even higher in psi? The normal tracks I visit have more chop than this and much bigger hits comparatively speaking. What say ye?
|
Digger29
6/6/2020 11:06am
sf702/410 wrote:
Swapped my shock spring this week on the new bike, sags are correct, increased my fork to 11.5 bar ( 285 in gear) and rode a...
Swapped my shock spring this week on the new bike, sags are correct, increased my fork to 11.5 bar ( 285 in gear) and rode a small worn out track and found the fork rather harsh considering the very small hits with no chop. Travel o ring shows about 1.5" remaining before bottoming. Also the steering felt twitchy.

I liked the soft, cushy feel of the stock suspension, minus the fork bottoming (completely). Tubes are factory height. I'm assuming I want to soften compression damping (speed up the stroke) and bump it up even higher in psi? The normal tracks I visit have more chop than this and much bigger hits comparatively speaking. What say ye?
The 19.5/2020 KTM and Husky shock doesn't have enough rebound or H/S comp and I feel that is making the forks feel even worse in my opinion and it seemed like I was chasing a good fork setting every weekend and I hate that. Anyways here's where I'm at and I think I got it working great now. Shock 102 sag, Low speed comp 12, High speed comp 1 turn out, rebound 8 out from full hard. Forks, 3rd line up in the clamps, 10.9 bar, comp 12, rebound 20. Give it a try because you've got nothing to lose :-)
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
6/6/2020 2:16pm
sf702/410 wrote:
Swapped my shock spring this week on the new bike, sags are correct, increased my fork to 11.5 bar ( 285 in gear) and rode a...

Digger29 wrote:
The 19.5/2020 KTM and Husky shock doesn't have enough rebound or H/S comp and I feel that is making the forks feel even worse in my...
The 19.5/2020 KTM and Husky shock doesn't have enough rebound or H/S comp and I feel that is making the forks feel even worse in my opinion and it seemed like I was chasing a good fork setting every weekend and I hate that. Anyways here's where I'm at and I think I got it working great now. Shock 102 sag, Low speed comp 12, High speed comp 1 turn out, rebound 8 out from full hard. Forks, 3rd line up in the clamps, 10.9 bar, comp 12, rebound 20. Give it a try because you've got nothing to lose :-)
I’ve also recently started to run the forks at 3 lines up in the clamps, it’s helped front end traction and haven’t lost any stability.
sf702/410
6/6/2020 5:24pm
sf702/410 wrote:

Digger29 wrote:
The 19.5/2020 KTM and Husky shock doesn't have enough rebound or H/S comp and I feel that is making the forks feel even worse in my...
What kind of weight, speed are you? Is my theory correct or should I consider the opposite? Less air, more damping and more fluid perhaps? Thanks man
Digger29
6/6/2020 7:32pm
sf702/410 wrote:

Digger29 wrote:
sf702/410 wrote:
What kind of weight, speed are you? Is my theory correct or should I consider the opposite? Less air, more damping and more fluid perhaps? Thanks...
What kind of weight, speed are you? Is my theory correct or should I consider the opposite? Less air, more damping and more fluid perhaps? Thanks man
I'm 215 and vet expert. I was in that same school of thought as you and I went down as low as 130psi in the forks and was at 20 and 20 on the clickers but after talking with Billy at Powerband and setting my shock up with less sag and stiffer overall than I running it and getting the rear to stay up in the stroke it allowed me get run quite a bit more pressure in the fork and run stiffer compression as well and that got them up in the right part of the stroke as well. The whole bike feels more balanced and much better now.

The Shop

sf702/410
6/6/2020 10:44pm
Thanks alot man, I'll give it a whirl and see where I end up. Thanks for the insight. I hadn't considered that maybe being a factor.

Post a reply to: 20 ktm 450sx fork help?

The Latest