1997 CR 250 Honda Forks disassembly help

TooOld4WFO
Fantasy
1435th
Edited Date/Time 7/29/2018 11:26pm
Trying to rebuild my set of 97 Honda forks.
I cannot get the slider removed from the outer.
I tried 10 or more times by pulling the slider quickly to bump the inner seal from its seat. It will just stick at the length of its travel. I need to hit the axel end with a rubber mallet to knock it away from where it sticks.
The seal shows no signs of moving.

Everything has been removed internally.

Additionally on my second image shows the polished part where it ends is not even in its circumference. I expected that part to simply end evenly around the slider. It is higher on one side. Is this normal? I assume above that is normal in its appearance also.

Looking for any and all help on getting that slider away from the outer....
Thanks in advance for any and all help...

|
Hondas4Life3
7/27/2018 6:19pm
Pull the bottom tube out hard like a slide hammer/bearing puller. Doing it in the vice might not be best option
slipdog
7/27/2018 7:04pm
Your old bushings are probably worn to the point that the piston bushing is pulling through the metal slide/engagement bushing instead of knocking out of the upper tube.

Clamp the lug in your vice instead of the upper tube and heat the area where the seal and bushing seat with a torch then slide hammer it like you're trying to break it. When it sticks it's because the Teflon is being peeled off the piston bushing as it pulls through the metal slide. It will eventually pull all the way through and come apart. Obviously, all bushings will need to be replaced.
TooOld4WFO
Fantasy
1435th
7/27/2018 9:30pm
Tried it. Warm enough to where I could still handle the outer tube near the cap area and slam it apart. No way.
Used a short 2 x 4 on its edge against the lip where the seal sits by hitting the wood with a medium ball pean hammer also. No way is that seal pulling free.

Suggestions?

The Shop

omalley
7/29/2018 6:58am
TooOld4WFO wrote:
Tried it. Warm enough to where I could still handle the outer tube near the cap area and slam it apart. No way. Used a short...
Tried it. Warm enough to where I could still handle the outer tube near the cap area and slam it apart. No way.
Used a short 2 x 4 on its edge against the lip where the seal sits by hitting the wood with a medium ball pean hammer also. No way is that seal pulling free.

Suggestions?
Possibly a shot of brake cleaner in the seal/outer tube junction, or PB Blaster?
speed_racer
Fantasy
2007th
7/29/2018 11:26pm
That seal will pull free. Might have to get it hot with some map gas. Go crazy pulling and sliding, slamming, it is going to be hard to yank and it will destroy the washer underneath.

The bushing is going to stay in the fork and that will be another problem. The steel tube and seal will come out but what is directly underneath the seal is the problem. The bushing is frozen, the bushing along with the washer is what pulls the seal out. You will be forcing the lower bushing past the upper frozen bushing, pull hard.

Forcing the steel out will destroy the seal and washer but you have no choice and they need replacing anyway. After forcing the steel tube out the frozen bushing should be visible.
Use the head of a screw and some vice grips to remove the stuck bushing underneath.
Grip the screw with the vice grips and use the head of the screw to gently catch the lip of the bushing down inside the fork. Tap the vice grips with a small hammer to pull the bushing out, don't let it get cocked. Remember it's stuck so heat will help, get it hot enough to sizzle spit.

Post a reply to: 1997 CR 250 Honda Forks disassembly help

The Latest