1995 YZ250 water pump question

Related:
Create New Tag

5/24/2018 8:07 AM

Hey all,
I'm working on a 1995 YZ250 long-rod resto. I was looking at parts diagrams to order some water pump seals
and the 1995 shows that it uses a pinned impeller and a single, wide seal. Photo

However, in my bike, the pump uses two seals and a bearing, as shown in this diagram from a 1998 model.

Photo

My question is- was this a popular mod back in the day? I'd imagine they had to swap on the whole side case?
Or was this just maybe something that a prior owner did if the original side case got whacked?

|

5/24/2018 8:47 AM

Id say they swapped the case. They look sooo similar. The new design is way more reliable and allows a weep hole to be added.

|

5/24/2018 1:52 PM

kb228 wrote:

Id say they swapped the case. They look sooo similar. The new design is way more reliable and allows a weep hole to be added. ...more

That was kind of my thought- that someone doing a long rod would also do other mods while they were at it. Just wasn't sure if this was a common thing back then.

The weep hole . . . I'll have to look next time I'm at the shop, but is that something that is already in the '98 case or something I can/should add myself?

|

5/24/2018 2:34 PM

Its already in the case. Its by design. Tells you if one if those seals are shot. Otherwise youd never know you got oil and coolant mixing

|

5/24/2018 6:42 PM

kb228 wrote:

Its already in the case. Its by design. Tells you if one if those seals are shot. Otherwise youd never know you got oil and ...more

Thanks!!

|