1988 RM 250 Rear Shock Question

Create New Tag

2/2/2018 9:37 AM

I have a 1988 RM250 that I am starting to rebuild. I have the suspension out to a local shop for rebuild and they called today to tell me the rear shock body has some of the anodizing worn off the inside of the shock body. They recommend seeing if I can find another shock body to use.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can determine what years and models used this same KYB shock body? The Suzuki OEM fiche doesn't list a specific PN for the body. My guess is that the same shock body was used for several years and models. I am trying to make sure I can search as widely as possible for a replacement.

The other options would be to:

1. Rebuild the shock and use it as is.
2. Not sure if the anodizing can be removed and re-done?

I'm guessing this is not a unique problem for older bikes and would appreciate any suggestions/help.


2/2/2018 11:03 AM

You are correct about Suzuki not having a part number for the shock body. The entire shock is 62100-26C10-163.

Part numbers for the 1989 model through 1992 model all look like 62100-28C**-163, with only the asterisks changing. From what I understand about Suzuki's part numbers superseding, I think any of those models would interchange. Putting any of those shocks on your bike, however, might be a different story. For what it's worth, the exploded drawings look the same.

My suggestion would be to re-anodize the shock body at a reputable finishings vendor and reuse the existing piece.


Braaapin' aint easy.

2/3/2018 12:41 AM

If your 30 year old shock body has worn off anodizing, another one may be the same way.

Look up hard anodizing service or roll the dice on a used shock off ebay, etc.

If you want to try a different year, look on eBay auctions, current and complete and look for differences. You might not rule some in, but you can surely rule some out.


2/3/2018 4:15 AM

While restoring my 88, I found out the 87 250 shares the most parts with the 88, not all but most. I would say the 87 shock is interchangeable....There is a guy selling an 87 roller on one of the rm facebook pages & he is in MA. May be a good option for you as it may have other usable parts if needed... I remember RaceTech offering a hard coating for the early shock bodies, came out black. I would price out both options...just curious, would the worn off inner shock body coating effect seal life or just contaminate oil faster?


2/3/2018 7:44 AM



much ty. How to spot a paid forum poster/artificial forum traffic producer (see list of actions/phrases below):

Copius pattern amounts of phrases like “Anyone have”..., “Anybody know?”.... and their variations.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

2/5/2018 6:06 PM

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I found several shocks on eBay that look like they will work. I think I will give one of them a try.

If that does not work I may look at the anodizing option or more likely rebuild what I have. The shop told me that once the shock starts to wear off the anodizing it will continue to do so and that this can effect the damping. That's the main concern.