1972 Montessa kickstart failure

crockett
Edited Date/Time 2/19/2018 10:17am
Bought a beautiful trials bike a few years back off the side of the road. wasn't running but guy said it did at one point. The price was cheap enough and Within a day or 2 I had it running, probably not peak performance, but it was only intended to put around on so I was happy.
One week I'm away and a brother hops on the bike, next thing I know all the oil has leaked right out of the case and it won't start

This is what I found, looks like the PO had done some handy work to salvage the case

From what I can see the kickstart stop was busted and some jb weld was used to keep it place, it didn't take long to fail.
I would like to fix the bike, and know a machining guy in the are.
But wanted to ask here some of you more inclined engine guys.
What is the proper fix for that
And what's the chances it will happen again.

|
Paw Paw 271
2/19/2018 10:17am
You can try to find a replacement case, which may be almost impossible and rebuild. So the next option would be to take it apart and have the case welded with the broken part in place and if done correctly it should hold, but you will still be in for a rebuild and possible case machining as it will distort some from the heat of the welding.
Neither are great choices, so you just may want to part it out as someone will want the parts.

Paw Paw

Post a reply to: 1972 Montessa kickstart failure

The Latest