19 ktm 350 spring conversion ?

MX558
So I picked up a nice 19 350 sx with 9 hrs on it for 7k as a second bike. I already know the air forks suck so who makes a good spring conversion that doesn't cost as much as cone valves ( might go that route too if I can find some ) . Thanks in advance
|
Teej317
Fantasy
2087th
5/26/2021 1:47pm
MX558 wrote:
So I picked up a nice 19 350 sx with 9 hrs on it for 7k as a second bike. I already know the air forks...
So I picked up a nice 19 350 sx with 9 hrs on it for 7k as a second bike. I already know the air forks suck so who makes a good spring conversion that doesn't cost as much as cone valves ( might go that route too if I can find some ) . Thanks in advance
Race Tech has a spring conversion kit and I think KYB has a kit as well. Curious...what makes you not like the Aer 48's?
Leeham
Fantasy
3088th
5/26/2021 7:45pm
Make your own judgement on the AER before dropping cash a spring setup. My suggestion is to give it a shot if you havent already. Defintely different feel in the front and pre 21 has a lot of rebound feel to it
MKMX
5/27/2021 2:04am Edited Date/Time 5/27/2021 2:07am
Race Tech, pro circuit, factory connection, Ktech and krooztune all make great spring conversion.

Lainer, KYB, ohlins and MXTech all make great kits to convert both fork tubes.

Make sure if you do go with a conversion kit of some sort, have the valving set up to suit.
Motofinne
5/27/2021 5:21am
First, give the AER fork a shot before buying anything.

If you don't like it and want a spring fork, avoid the cheaper single sided spring kits. Go for a proper cartridge kit for both fork legs or a whole fork.

The Shop

captmoto
5/27/2021 8:30am Edited Date/Time 5/27/2021 8:45am
I like my single sided spring kit. It took all the jolt out of my wrists and I have more front end traction. I think it's a good value for $600.
It seems the spring conversion kits are about $1800 and up. Too much money for my age and speed.
m21racing
5/27/2021 9:27am
Factory wp spring conversion is really good if you want a spring fork.
MX558
5/27/2021 5:54pm
Thanks guys . I had a 17 350 and loved the bike and that shit air fork blew out my tricep. I've been on my 19 kx 450 with re valve and they are amazing . I will give the AER's a go though and at my age don't want to drop 3k on cones
Bradshaw Fan
5/27/2021 6:29pm
MX558 wrote:
So I picked up a nice 19 350 sx with 9 hrs on it for 7k as a second bike. I already know the air forks...
K-Tech. You can get it through JBI Suspension, really cool guy to deal with.
5/28/2021 12:26am
Motofinne wrote:
First, give the AER fork a shot before buying anything. If you don't like it and want a spring fork, avoid the cheaper single sided spring...
First, give the AER fork a shot before buying anything.

If you don't like it and want a spring fork, avoid the cheaper single sided spring kits. Go for a proper cartridge kit for both fork legs or a whole fork.
Did you have an issue with a single sided conversion?
A friend had a full Öhlins fork and switched to the Reiger single side spring conversion and loved it.
Layton
5/28/2021 8:07am
I’d go with MX Tech Lucky’s.
ElliotB16
5/28/2021 9:23am
I’m in the same boat. Coming off a 2019 kx450, gelled really good with the bike but can’t seem to get the suspension on the Gasgas set up. Factory connection is doing a spring conversion now so we shall see...
J-Mill
5/28/2021 10:32am
I’ve been reading and wondering what to do forever with this... I’m finally deciding to ship my forks to MX-Tech for the Lucky gen-2 kit. Almost went with RaceTech but was afraid I wouldn’t like it and would always wonder about the Lucky’s. I’m really happy I’ve made up my mind and can stop obsessing over this!
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
5/28/2021 12:55pm
J-Mill wrote:
I’ve been reading and wondering what to do forever with this... I’m finally deciding to ship my forks to MX-Tech for the Lucky gen-2 kit. Almost...
I’ve been reading and wondering what to do forever with this... I’m finally deciding to ship my forks to MX-Tech for the Lucky gen-2 kit. Almost went with RaceTech but was afraid I wouldn’t like it and would always wonder about the Lucky’s. I’m really happy I’ve made up my mind and can stop obsessing over this!
The lucky is the best bang for buck for dual conversion. I have the RT single conversion in my bike and it’s good but comfort and plushness isn’t quite as good as the luckys
Pirate421
5/28/2021 4:59pm
I love my Mx tech luckies. I had forks done and a shock revalve kit with bladder and it came in all done under $1500.

That said, I rode with a guy last week who has his own suspension shop. He has made night shows in sx and still flies and his 350 just has a revalve. He’s had factory wp suspension on past bikes and he said everything that I like about my luckies feel wise could be accomplished with a revalve. He didn’t talk badly about spring kits but said if you just want the comfort and plushness out of the aer it can be done pretty simply with better valving fwiw.
J-Mill
5/29/2021 9:14am Edited Date/Time 5/29/2021 9:15am
Rickyisms wrote:
Any input on the K tech kit for AERs?
I’m pretty sure it’s the same as all of the (SFF) conversions like RaceTech, Factory Connection, etc. Single function fork system so you’re only changing one side but you’ll want to re-valve the damping leg too. The one good thing about the K-Tech system is it has external preload adjustment so you can adjust preload without taking the fork apart.
J-Mill
5/29/2021 3:21pm
Pirate421 wrote:
I love my Mx tech luckies. I had forks done and a shock revalve kit with bladder and it came in all done under $1500. That...
I love my Mx tech luckies. I had forks done and a shock revalve kit with bladder and it came in all done under $1500.

That said, I rode with a guy last week who has his own suspension shop. He has made night shows in sx and still flies and his 350 just has a revalve. He’s had factory wp suspension on past bikes and he said everything that I like about my luckies feel wise could be accomplished with a revalve. He didn’t talk badly about spring kits but said if you just want the comfort and plushness out of the aer it can be done pretty simply with better valving fwiw.
Damn really? Who did you use? Lucky Gen-2 from MX-Tech with seals and bushings is a little more than $1,500 and that’s forks only.
Pirate421
5/29/2021 3:51pm
J-Mill wrote:
Damn really? Who did you use? Lucky Gen-2 from MX-Tech with seals and bushings is a little more than $1,500 and that’s forks only.
I went with the gen 1’s not the carbons. Those are $981
MX558
6/6/2021 4:09am
I had my first ride on the 350 with the air fork and I have to say it wasn't terrible by any means . I rode my buddies 350 with the gen 2 Lucky's and his is definitely better and the front end grip is noticably better . I probably could get the aer to work as good but after what happened with my 17 350 fork collapsing over a jump I just don't trust air forks
CKNY
6/7/2021 4:17am
MX558 wrote:
I had my first ride on the 350 with the air fork and I have to say it wasn't terrible by any means . I rode...
I had my first ride on the 350 with the air fork and I have to say it wasn't terrible by any means . I rode my buddies 350 with the gen 2 Lucky's and his is definitely better and the front end grip is noticably better . I probably could get the aer to work as good but after what happened with my 17 350 fork collapsing over a jump I just don't trust air forks
You could get it to work close but you won’t get the front end traction and feel.
MX558
6/7/2021 4:21am
MX558 wrote:
I had my first ride on the 350 with the air fork and I have to say it wasn't terrible by any means . I rode...
CKNY wrote:
You could get it to work close but you won’t get the front end traction and feel.
I agree but it was better than I expected. I'll probably just go with the Lucky forks , the front end seemed glued to the track
skyrebel88
6/7/2021 5:58am
i haven't installed my FC single side spring conversion yet but is the front end feel and traction everyone is talking about on the exit of corners? i have been pretty conservative with HS and LS adjustment on the shock to always try and keep plushness but I feel the only way to get good traction and feel on the exit of corners with the AER's is to go really stiff on the shock.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
6/7/2021 7:15am
skyrebel88 wrote:
i haven't installed my FC single side spring conversion yet but is the front end feel and traction everyone is talking about on the exit of...
i haven't installed my FC single side spring conversion yet but is the front end feel and traction everyone is talking about on the exit of corners? i have been pretty conservative with HS and LS adjustment on the shock to always try and keep plushness but I feel the only way to get good traction and feel on the exit of corners with the AER's is to go really stiff on the shock.
I would say I have to agree with you about the shock HC being very important to front end weight bias and handling. I wouldn't say it necessarily has to be really stiff but I would say it is a very fine balancing act between getting front bias you want and the plushness of the shock at the same time. It's really a matter of 1/8th turn on the HC one way or the other. It's very sensitive. I juggle the HC, the sag, and the fork height to get it where I want it. If you find you're having to make the HC really stiff to get enough front bias, try raising the forks one line in the clamps and then open the HC 1/8 turn.
MX558
6/7/2021 1:11pm
I think I might go K-tech now at it seems to be less than half the cost of the lucky's . I didn't think the lucky's were 1500 better than my stock air's . I mostly want a spring because my lack of trust in the air fork
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
6/7/2021 8:19pm
MX558 wrote:
I think I might go K-tech now at it seems to be less than half the cost of the lucky's . I didn't think the lucky's...
I think I might go K-tech now at it seems to be less than half the cost of the lucky's . I didn't think the lucky's were 1500 better than my stock air's . I mostly want a spring because my lack of trust in the air fork
I’ve heard pretty good things on that kit for SFF conversions
Hammer 663s
6/8/2021 10:42am
MX558 wrote:
CKNY wrote:
MX558 wrote:
I agree but it was better than I expected. I'll probably just go with the Lucky forks , the front end seemed glued to the track
I've got 50 hours on the Gen1 Lucky now, and they are awesome. I've posted quite a bit on here about my experience with them. You will not be disappointed. I looked at all the other options too before going this route.

Depending on where you are you have options for installers. JBI, MX Tech )of course!), and here in the PNW Dynamic Ride are all very familiar with the Lucky system.

Hammer 663s
ElliotB16
6/10/2021 5:16am
Rode this past weekend on FC spring conversion. It’s a night and day difference over air forks. Highly recommend it.
J-Mill
6/10/2021 8:37am
Question:
I’m about to get my forks done while recovering from an ACL. I’m really leaning towards having MX-Tech do the Lucky Gen-2. However, for $300 less I can have the RaceTech spring conversion, re-valve, have the shock serviced and re-valved and have a bladder installed.
Do I get the Lucky’s and know I have some of the baddest forks available and do the shock later ORRRRR do I go RT and have the front and rear done?
Vet Intermediate 90% track 10% woods.
Pirate421
6/10/2021 3:18pm Edited Date/Time 6/10/2021 3:19pm
J-Mill wrote:
Question: I’m about to get my forks done while recovering from an ACL. I’m really leaning towards having MX-Tech do the Lucky Gen-2. However, for $300...
Question:
I’m about to get my forks done while recovering from an ACL. I’m really leaning towards having MX-Tech do the Lucky Gen-2. However, for $300 less I can have the RaceTech spring conversion, re-valve, have the shock serviced and re-valved and have a bladder installed.
Do I get the Lucky’s and know I have some of the baddest forks available and do the shock later ORRRRR do I go RT and have the front and rear done?
If it were me I’d just pony up for the luckies and the rear shock at once. Then it’s all on the same service interval and they will work better together. I sent my forks and shock in and it wasn’t all that much for a rear suspension revalve when coupled with the forks. You’ll always be wondering how good it could have been if you got the shock done. That’s me anyway.

I’ve come to learn that it’s less headache if I just spend the money once vice trying to save a few bucks later on. What’s the point in having the best forks if the shock isn’t up to par?
183Matt
Fantasy
1637th
6/10/2021 5:43pm
J-Mill wrote:
Question: I’m about to get my forks done while recovering from an ACL. I’m really leaning towards having MX-Tech do the Lucky Gen-2. However, for $300...
Question:
Spend the extra on the MX tech stuff. Talk to Corey at Fator’s. There’s a reason most of us in the Redding area use Joel at 707 and have the Lucky cartridges. I’ll be at The grand opening at Stillwater Mx this weekend if you wanna talk MX tech in person.

Post a reply to: 19 ktm 350 spring conversion ?

The Latest