19 YZ250 jetting help needed please.

Anonymous (not verified)
Edited Date/Time 10/30/2020 6:02pm
It seems to run well, but a little lean on top(says the plug). The rad valve instructions say to lean it out, but is already a little lean. Should I up the main jet? I'm new to this and trying to learn, but I'm spinning my wheels. Not really sure what to do. I have had this thing about 6-7 months and have not taken it out. I'd really appreciate any help you guys could throw my way. Thank you.

Stock jetting:
#178 main
N3EW 2nd clip
#50 pilot
Screw out approx 1 1/8th

*Running 92 non eth pump gas @ 50:1 Motul 800

She has a Fatty pipe, Turbine Core 2.1, Radvalve, twinair with cage.
|
cwtoyota
5/27/2019 1:28pm
Anonymous wrote:
It seems to run well, but a little lean on top(says the plug). The rad valve instructions say to lean it out, but is already a...
It seems to run well, but a little lean on top(says the plug). The rad valve instructions say to lean it out, but is already a little lean. Should I up the main jet? I'm new to this and trying to learn, but I'm spinning my wheels. Not really sure what to do. I have had this thing about 6-7 months and have not taken it out. I'd really appreciate any help you guys could throw my way. Thank you.

Stock jetting:
#178 main
N3EW 2nd clip
#50 pilot
Screw out approx 1 1/8th

Motocross or off-road?
I see you're in WA, so if you're riding moto, we probably go to some of the same places.

I haven't run straight pump gas in a two-stroke in over a decade and 50:1 seems way too lean for MX if you care about crankshaft longevity. If you're super slow, 40:1 is about as light as I would go on a track.

I run a 50/50 mix of Trick 114 and 92 ethanol-free, so my jetting setup will be a little lean for your fuel.
Also I run Yamalube 2R @ 32:1.

My jetting is:

M = 175
N3EW - 2
P = 45
AS = 1-3/4
PJ = Stock

I run a milled head (20.5cc with ≈0.045" squish clearance) VF3 reed and a couple of different pipes, usually the FMF Factory Fatty.

Getting the head milled on your YZ is one of the best ways to make it run crisp and easy to jet. If you don't want to splash a little race gas in there, get it milled to between .045" and .055" squish, but keep the stock 21.5cc volume.

Guys who are riding in the woods seem to like a larger slide cutaway and less oil (I have a #8 slide in my box of parts, but have never felt the need to test it out). There are also a lot of guys who like the Suzuki needles, but you have to switch your main jet down a couple sizes to run them.

Here's a plug from last week:
40acres
5/27/2019 2:15pm
Anonymous wrote:
It seems to run well, but a little lean on top(says the plug). The rad valve instructions say to lean it out, but is already a...

Stock jetting:
#178 main
N3EW 2nd clip
#50 pilot
Screw out approx 1 1/8th

50:1!!!!? Yamaha even put a big fat eyesore of a sticker on the fender that says 32:1 for you.
Doddy
5/27/2019 2:26pm
I ride both. My 07 was good, but i have no idea what settings it had. Never really had to mess with it.
gristle568
5/27/2019 2:40pm
i have a 2017 with an fmf pipe and vforce reeds. I jump back and forth between a 178 and 180 main depending on the temp, I run 40:1 I would bump the main to a 180 and see how it runs.

The Shop

5/27/2019 6:37pm
2011 YZ 250 here in Ohio elevation right around 1,000ft.
Main - 178
Pilot - 48
Needle - 2nd clip
Air screw - 1 turn out
FMF Factory Fatty & Shorty
Vforce3
R&B head mod
VP c12/ pump 93 from Shell 50/50 with Klotz oil. Here’s my plug

chump6784
5/27/2019 9:18pm
My 2010 yz250 with DEP pipe and silencer ran lean up top with the 178 main in it. I ended up going to a 182 and that was sweet. I have a 2018 yz250 now with HGS pipe and hgs short silncer and I am running a 180 main.

50:1 is also pretty lean. I've been running 40:1 for years with no trouble but premix ratio is an argument that has been going on for years.
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
5/28/2019 6:55am Edited Date/Time 5/28/2019 6:59am
50:1 is more leaner obviously when it comes to your oil/fuel mix but more commonly we are talking about the air/fuel mix when talking lean vs rich so 50:1 actually richer in terms of air/fuel mix then 32:1

OP I would start with mixing your fuel at 40:1 minimum, 32:1 preferably. and bumping up the main to a 180 and see if that helps.
15tc150
5/28/2019 7:25am Edited Date/Time 5/28/2019 7:44am
I find it strange that your running a rad valve, and it's lean, I put my rad valve in my 15 yz250, and had to hack the main and the pilot down, and eventually cut down a size on the slowjet, and yes, 50:1 for mx is lean, for trail that's fine, your never on the pipe long enough to keep the engine cleaned out, so it loading up isnt good, but for mx, nothing less than 40:1, and the harder you twist, and hold it on pipe, the more oil is required, mix to your RPM RANGE, not what people tell you they thing is okay, and if you think 32:1 is too rich, most DFI 2 stroke sleds at wide open will get down to 20:1 ratios, so oil is vital at high rpm, keeps things cool and lubed, and there is also another factor of premix nobody really Takes into consideration. That is an oils flashpoint, the tempuratur at which the oil combusts at. They all have a different flash point, so choosing one appropriate for your riding is important, and can make a huge difference in running. But I gotta take one jab, DROP MOTUL PREMIX!!! That stuff is the worst premix Iv ever seen used, pistons come out with facial hair it's so bad, ring stickage, and black blowby like nobody's buisiness. I'm not one to tell people what to do with their bikes, but I will gladly protest the use of motul, it's garbage, and my eyes have seen way too many pistons run with that stuff come out horrible, and the cylinder needs to be redone.

As for jetting, you wouldn't wanna know my jets as I go a bit nuts with carb slides, and get the pilot size down, and the needle up to add fuel at the right throttle
Openings

178s main
Stock needle in the 4th clip
And a 45 pilot and 45 slowjet
With a #6 carb slide

Wouldn't recommend a richer carb slide with the stock pipe, tooooo herky jerky off the bottom, but for a setup like pc, it helps with low end and off idle response. If you want some tuning tips for the yz, it's easy to make a lot of power for next to no cash with just the stock components and a set of small files, don't need any cylinder mods, unless youve done everything else, and are hungry for more snot, but just massaging the stock parts to work, is easy, and cheap, just adjusting your pv governor spring tension can add so much power a pipe couldn't ever hope to add in the important part of the rpm range, the low to mid. I'm not saying that adjusting the governor will add just incredible amounts of top end, its not what's needed, but it will take you from needing 2nd in corners to a weee bit clutch in 3rd for slow corners, and effortless roll on from bottom To top anywhere else. My 06 yz250 was ported, with just about the same mods as my 2015, my 2015, stock jug, with a rb designs head, a ported stock reed block, and a retimed pv governor, and it was way faster around the track in every situation.
15tc150
5/28/2019 9:16am
Anonymous wrote:

Stock jetting:
#178 main
N3EW 2nd clip
#50 pilot
Screw out approx 1 1/8th

I missed the fact that your running a turbine core, go up on your main, that silencer is restricting your engines flow at high rpm, you will definitely want to
Go up to a 180-185 possibly, depending
Doddy
5/28/2019 2:56pm
Anonymous wrote:

Stock jetting:
#178 main
N3EW 2nd clip
#50 pilot
Screw out approx 1 1/8th

15tc150 wrote:
I missed the fact that your running a turbine core, go up on your main, that silencer is restricting your engines flow at high rpm, you...
I missed the fact that your running a turbine core, go up on your main, that silencer is restricting your engines flow at high rpm, you will definitely want to
Go up to a 180-185 possibly, depending
Thanks for the replies everyone.
I dont have an issue going 40:1, it was just what my last yz used and it ran well. Was how i got it. Also, what would you recommend instead of motul? How do you feel about Redline and/or Amsoil?
I run the turbine core because i need a sparky and was told this flowed better than the older version. They all are restrictive correct? Just the nature of what it is?
15tc150
5/28/2019 3:40pm
Yes, it's a big turbine baffle inside of the silencer, and unfortunately they back up exhaust pressures, and for premix, I used belray h1r at 40:1 in the trails and never had any issues loading up, and it ran really nicely, pistons come out black ontop, due to what's in it, but clean sides, and never any fuzz ontop of pistons like I have found motul to leave. If I wasn't out of joint being I sold my house and almost all my stuff is in storage, I would take pictures of the pistons I keep for examples and measurements, a few of them I kept were motul run bikes, and had been run solely on motul, since the bike was new. Belray h1r runs awesome for trails, I didn't like it for moto, Iv tried amsoil before, and i know people that stand by it, but I wasn't a fan of it, and as for redline I have heard good things about it, but never tried it, lol, for moto I like k2 for its flashpoint, and the fact that pistons come out looking like new, and I have seen many many people running it with the same results, but not fun for trail, it loads up quickly, hope this helps
Doddy
5/29/2019 11:55am Edited Date/Time 5/29/2019 11:55am
Yeah it does help. Thanks. Gives me more things to think about.
Also, what does the NECJ needle do exactly?
ss-racing
5/29/2019 6:51pm
I ride moto at about 400' , use race fuel and premium pump 50-50, and Maxima 927 @ 32:1
My bike is jetted with a 175 main 48 pilot N3EJ needle #2 groove 1turn on the air screw.
rocketship.

...i believe that's exactly what Pro circuit recommends for stock bikes
yzrider269
10/30/2020 5:09pm
ss-racing wrote:
I ride moto at about 400' , use race fuel and premium pump 50-50, and Maxima 927 @ 32:1 My bike is jetted with a 175...
I ride moto at about 400' , use race fuel and premium pump 50-50, and Maxima 927 @ 32:1
My bike is jetted with a 175 main 48 pilot N3EJ needle #2 groove 1turn on the air screw.
rocketship.

Everybody I see here is way too lean...if you can ride the bike with a bigger jet you will get.more air and power.
Dep pipe shorty silser
110 octane race fuel for the head work done
Sporting to cylinder
Rad valve system with carbon dual stage
Holes in nber plate to allow.more air to filter(top end)
Retarded time 1/8 inch
40 deg this weekend running
195 main
50 pilot.
Air screw 2 turns
Race j day off road. Always ran much bigger jets and prefer them over 178-182 ranger
AJ565
10/30/2020 6:02pm
ss-racing wrote:
I ride moto at about 400' , use race fuel and premium pump 50-50, and Maxima 927 @ 32:1 My bike is jetted with a 175...
rocketship.

yzrider269 wrote:
Everybody I see here is way too lean...if you can ride the bike with a bigger jet you will get.more air and power. Dep pipe shorty...
Everybody I see here is way too lean...if you can ride the bike with a bigger jet you will get.more air and power.
Dep pipe shorty silser
110 octane race fuel for the head work done
Sporting to cylinder
Rad valve system with carbon dual stage
Holes in nber plate to allow.more air to filter(top end)
Retarded time 1/8 inch
40 deg this weekend running
195 main
50 pilot.
Air screw 2 turns
Race j day off road. Always ran much bigger jets and prefer them over 178-182 ranger
I hope he got it figured out over a year later.

Post a reply to: 19 YZ250 jetting help needed please.

The Latest