19 KTM 350 shifting issues, anyone else

Motohead279
Have a 19 KTM 350 that since day one does not want to shift from 2nd to 3rd under power even when dabbing the clutch. Basically have to let of the throttle to get it to shift. Bike has 2.5 hours on it and it’s been like that since I bought it new.

Anyone else having issues like this?
|
Jeremy_Kirk
8/5/2019 2:40pm
Have a 19 KTM 350 that since day one does not want to shift from 2nd to 3rd under power even when dabbing the clutch. Basically...
Have a 19 KTM 350 that since day one does not want to shift from 2nd to 3rd under power even when dabbing the clutch. Basically have to let of the throttle to get it to shift. Bike has 2.5 hours on it and it’s been like that since I bought it new.

What has the dealer said?
pete24
8/5/2019 4:50pm
my buddy and I both have 19 husky tc250s yes they are two strokes but they do the same thing
Motohead279
8/5/2019 4:53pm
Have a 19 KTM 350 that since day one does not want to shift from 2nd to 3rd under power even when dabbing the clutch. Basically...

He said he doesn’t know of any issues he was going to talk to a few people and let me know.
Motohead279
8/5/2019 4:55pm
pete24 wrote:
my buddy and I both have 19 husky tc250s yes they are two strokes but they do the same thing
Which is odd because the 19s have the Panko transmission which is supposed to be a step up. I also have a 2015 250 factory edition and while it sometimes occurred nothing to this level.

The Shop

DynoDan22
8/5/2019 9:39pm
I have a '19 350 sx-f and the shifting is excellent. It has always shifted well even during break-in. That's odd that your having issue with it not shifting under load.
WEAL
8/5/2019 11:23pm
The dogs that engage into the corresponding gears are undercut on a KTM/HQV. Thus you need to lift the throttle or pull the clutch a bit when you want to change gear. Two reasons for this: while changing up the undercut degree of dogs will pull the next gear in faster and hold it as long as there is load on the transmission. Japanese bikes don´t have this feature. They have cast gearwheels with 90 degree dogs, all that holds them into the next gearwheel is the shift fork.
Jeremy_Kirk
8/6/2019 4:40am
WEAL wrote:
The dogs that engage into the corresponding gears are undercut on a KTM/HQV. Thus you need to lift the throttle or pull the clutch a bit...
The dogs that engage into the corresponding gears are undercut on a KTM/HQV. Thus you need to lift the throttle or pull the clutch a bit when you want to change gear. Two reasons for this: while changing up the undercut degree of dogs will pull the next gear in faster and hold it as long as there is load on the transmission. Japanese bikes don´t have this feature. They have cast gearwheels with 90 degree dogs, all that holds them into the next gearwheel is the shift fork.
What causes these bikes to go into neutral on their own when in second gear, usually in a corner with the clutch pulled in but not always.
Jeremy_Kirk
8/6/2019 4:47am

He said he doesn’t know of any issues he was going to talk to a few people and let me know.
This is what they all say. "There are no known issues". Yet everyone know about it. Jmc racing has a video on youtube where one of their supercross riders bikes jumped into gear when he reved his husqy on the start line and it threw him off the back. Someone laughed at the riders mistake , The mechanic acknowledged these bikes have tranny issues and that it wasnt the rider error.
Motohead279
8/6/2019 5:10am
WEAL wrote:
The dogs that engage into the corresponding gears are undercut on a KTM/HQV. Thus you need to lift the throttle or pull the clutch a bit...
Like I said in my original comment I was dabbing at the clutch , Same way I shift my other KTM.
mxryan25
8/6/2019 5:16am Edited Date/Time 8/6/2019 5:31am
I’ve got 50 hours on a 19 and it’s pretty much the same way, it’s a bit different at first but you’ll get used to it. I came off a rmz450 that would shift easily under load but frequently hit a scary false neutral. I either give the clutch a good slip (it takes a full pull for an easy shift) or let off the gas like you said and it shifts fine. I’d much rather prefer how ktm has it than deal with false neutrals and damaged transmission. Not one single missed shift/false neutral yet 😊 After 10ish hours it seems to free up a bit and shifts well with a quick clutch pull, the early hours it definitly felt more locked in. However it still doesn’t want to shift under heavy load with no clutch which isn’t a bad thing
Motohead279
8/6/2019 8:14am
mxryan25 wrote:
I’ve got 50 hours on a 19 and it’s pretty much the same way, it’s a bit different at first but you’ll get used to it...
I’ve got 50 hours on a 19 and it’s pretty much the same way, it’s a bit different at first but you’ll get used to it. I came off a rmz450 that would shift easily under load but frequently hit a scary false neutral. I either give the clutch a good slip (it takes a full pull for an easy shift) or let off the gas like you said and it shifts fine. I’d much rather prefer how ktm has it than deal with false neutrals and damaged transmission. Not one single missed shift/false neutral yet 😊 After 10ish hours it seems to free up a bit and shifts well with a quick clutch pull, the early hours it definitly felt more locked in. However it still doesn’t want to shift under heavy load with no clutch which isn’t a bad thing
I’ll have to adjust my shifting technique at the next practice. Even though I am dabbing at the clutch I may have to be more pronounced with my clutch than what I was on my 250.

I actually did hit one false neutral was coming out of a corner and was trying to get it up a gear and I was fumbling with the clutch and right before the jump I hit neutral. The other half of the time I was hitting jumps A gear too low because I couldn’t get the bike to shift.
mxryan25
8/6/2019 8:39am
I’ll have to adjust my shifting technique at the next practice. Even though I am dabbing at the clutch I may have to be more pronounced...
I’ll have to adjust my shifting technique at the next practice. Even though I am dabbing at the clutch I may have to be more pronounced with my clutch than what I was on my 250.

I actually did hit one false neutral was coming out of a corner and was trying to get it up a gear and I was fumbling with the clutch and right before the jump I hit neutral. The other half of the time I was hitting jumps A gear too low because I couldn’t get the bike to shift.
Do you have your shifter in the standard position or one ? If standard going one up may help. I’ll also leave it in 2nd for jumps that are somewhat out of a corner yes it revs high but that’s where a 350 makes power. I’ve tried 50, 51, and now 52 rear sprocket which I prefer most, it makes the transition from 2nd to 3rd gear closer which allows it to short shift better before the engine gets really loaded in the high rpms, allowing it to shift much easier
WEAL
8/6/2019 10:09am
This is what they all say. "There are no known issues". Yet everyone know about it. Jmc racing has a video on youtube where one of...
This is what they all say. "There are no known issues". Yet everyone know about it. Jmc racing has a video on youtube where one of their supercross riders bikes jumped into gear when he reved his husqy on the start line and it threw him off the back. Someone laughed at the riders mistake , The mechanic acknowledged these bikes have tranny issues and that it wasnt the rider error.
The detent for neutral is not very deep on the shifterdrum to aid quick and easy shifting from first to second. Maybe high revs, some vibrations and a weak detent spring caused the jump into gear. Or the neutral detent was not selected properly - who knows.
Motohead279
8/6/2019 10:42am
I’ll have to adjust my shifting technique at the next practice. Even though I am dabbing at the clutch I may have to be more pronounced...

mxryan25 wrote:
Do you have your shifter in the standard position or one ? If standard going one up may help. I’ll also leave it in 2nd for...
Do you have your shifter in the standard position or one ? If standard going one up may help. I’ll also leave it in 2nd for jumps that are somewhat out of a corner yes it revs high but that’s where a 350 makes power. I’ve tried 50, 51, and now 52 rear sprocket which I prefer most, it makes the transition from 2nd to 3rd gear closer which allows it to short shift better before the engine gets really loaded in the high rpms, allowing it to shift much easier
It’s in the standard position . Position is not the issue it’s moving up but just won’t engage to the next gear no matter how hard I push it.

I am also running a 52, UnFortunately some of the jumps you need 3rd that are about 50’ out of the corner.

I’m going to try to adjust my technique a little, been riding 35 years and never had to before but this bike might just be different.

Do you have an issue with the bike stalling in corners at all? Last weekend I stalled it like 5 or 6 times jumping into a corner, clutch in and just cut out. I’ve also noticed a few times if it’s on the stand and I rev it that it will just cut out after the RPMs com back down. I brought this up to the dealer and he said KTMs are notorious for that and that I need to run my idle extra high. Never had these issues on my 250sxf
wheeler727
8/6/2019 10:48am
I have a 19 350 and I had the same issues when under load, coming off of Honda’s I was used to shifting under load and had two miss shifts on my 350 and then backed off the throttle while shifting and no more problems.
mxryan25
8/6/2019 1:13pm
It’s in the standard position . Position is not the issue it’s moving up but just won’t engage to the next gear no matter how hard...
It’s in the standard position . Position is not the issue it’s moving up but just won’t engage to the next gear no matter how hard I push it.

I am also running a 52, UnFortunately some of the jumps you need 3rd that are about 50’ out of the corner.

I’m going to try to adjust my technique a little, been riding 35 years and never had to before but this bike might just be different.

Do you have an issue with the bike stalling in corners at all? Last weekend I stalled it like 5 or 6 times jumping into a corner, clutch in and just cut out. I’ve also noticed a few times if it’s on the stand and I rev it that it will just cut out after the RPMs com back down. I brought this up to the dealer and he said KTMs are notorious for that and that I need to run my idle extra high. Never had these issues on my 250sxf
Try to really focus on grabbing 3rd gear as soon as you exit the turn to get the shift before its really high in the rpm, but also use the most out of 2nd gear when the section/jump allows, don’t be scared to let it sing occasionally. Again with only 2.5 hours it should free up a bit with some time. As far as the idle yes I had to bump mine up a quite a bit from where it was originally set, from the dealer it was idling very low
MXer391
8/7/2019 12:44pm
I have a '19 350 as well but I haven't noticed it shifting any different than my previous '17. But I do agree with what some of the guys previously said that it does require a different technique. I have an RM-Z 450 that feels much different. The transmissions do take some time to break in a little bit but I wouldn't think it would be noticeably different. I didn't see anyone else mention it but what oil are you running? I run high quality synthetic in mine (Motorex or Maxima Pro Plus 10w-50) and haven't had any problems but my riding buddy was running Rotella T4 in his and complaining about how his KTM was shifting. He has since switched oils. I know that wouldn't be the case from new because it had factory filled oil but I just thought I'd mention it.
mxryan25
8/7/2019 1:06pm
MXer391 wrote:
I have a '19 350 as well but I haven't noticed it shifting any different than my previous '17. But I do agree with what some...
I have a '19 350 as well but I haven't noticed it shifting any different than my previous '17. But I do agree with what some of the guys previously said that it does require a different technique. I have an RM-Z 450 that feels much different. The transmissions do take some time to break in a little bit but I wouldn't think it would be noticeably different. I didn't see anyone else mention it but what oil are you running? I run high quality synthetic in mine (Motorex or Maxima Pro Plus 10w-50) and haven't had any problems but my riding buddy was running Rotella T4 in his and complaining about how his KTM was shifting. He has since switched oils. I know that wouldn't be the case from new because it had factory filled oil but I just thought I'd mention it.
Good points. I also run maxima pro plus 10w50, I’ve also rode a buddies 18 350sxf with little hours and the shifting didn’t feel quite as smooth so I think the ‘19 updates are definitely an improvement
Motohead279
8/7/2019 1:22pm
MXer391 wrote:
I have a '19 350 as well but I haven't noticed it shifting any different than my previous '17. But I do agree with what some...
I’ve never had a 350 before I’ve been running the 250, although I hear they share the same transmission.

I am running Motorex 10 W 50 also and have already changed it once after The first ride.
skyrebel88
4/6/2021 5:38am
I am having the same issue with my19 250sxf shifting 2nd to 3rd while hard accelerating. i have to let off the gas to make the shift happen. Im not sure if there is an issue with shifting up to other gears as i mainly just use second and third. Does KTM have a recall or fix for this? Does anyone have a fix for this?

Post a reply to: 19 KTM 350 shifting issues, anyone else

The Latest