‘19 CRF 450 shock removal

mike martin
Edited Date/Time 1/8/2019 1:44am
Was wondering if there was an easier way to remove the shock than taking the subframe off and disconnecting everything from battery and air box..Thanks
|
brody
1/6/2019 6:39pm
Might be able to pull it down
Dont know if it will clear
Id measure
JohnMatrix
1/6/2019 7:44pm
What I do on my 18 is remove both silencers. Remove the 4 bolts that hold the ecu bracket and then disconnect the ecu and remove all that. Remove both bottom subframe bolts and the top right side subframe bolt, then loosen or remove the top left one. At this point you should be able to kind of flip the subframe up and to the left enough to drop the shock down a bit and then pull it out kind of on the right side. Your rear fender will be pointing more up in the air for reference. You may decide to do things a bit different but the goal is to get the subframe to move out of the way enough to sneak the shock out without having to touch the air boot or remove the air box from the subframe.

The Shop

Monk
1/6/2019 8:10pm Edited Date/Time 1/7/2019 6:55am
No
Can't pull the linkage and swingarm and slide it out the bottom?
mike martin
1/7/2019 6:01am
Thanks for the help, will try pulling it out from the right side.
slipdog
1/7/2019 6:52am Edited Date/Time 1/7/2019 6:55am
No
Monk wrote:
^^^How I do it.

Remove swingarm and pull rod bolts. Remove brake pedal and master cylinder and remove entire rear end(Edit: obviously remove chain as well). Now the shock would drop out the bottom but the airbox is wrapped around the piggyback reservoir so you must remove both exhaust bolts and lower subframe bolts while loosening the top subframe bolt. That will let the subframe swing up just enough(1-1 1/2") to allow the shock to drop out without undoing the airboot or any electrical.

Sounds like a bitch reading it but you'll find it takes 5-6min total and no messing with any wiring.
Monk
1/7/2019 6:55am
No
Monk wrote:
slipdog wrote:
^^^How I do it. Remove swingarm and pull rod bolts. Remove brake pedal and master cylinder and remove entire rear end(Edit: obviously remove chain as well)...
^^^How I do it.

Remove swingarm and pull rod bolts. Remove brake pedal and master cylinder and remove entire rear end(Edit: obviously remove chain as well). Now the shock would drop out the bottom but the airbox is wrapped around the piggyback reservoir so you must remove both exhaust bolts and lower subframe bolts while loosening the top subframe bolt. That will let the subframe swing up just enough(1-1 1/2") to allow the shock to drop out without undoing the airboot or any electrical.

Sounds like a bitch reading it but you'll find it takes 5-6min total and no messing with any wiring.
I don't own a Honda, hence why my suggestion was in the form of a question. But I do the same on my KTM and Husqvarna, though it sounds like the Honda might need another step or two...
Kenny Lingus
1/7/2019 7:19am
Hmm, I'll try it next time. I didn't think it was too bad the other way though.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1992nd
1/7/2019 2:28pm
slipdog wrote:
^^^How I do it. Remove swingarm and pull rod bolts. Remove brake pedal and master cylinder and remove entire rear end(Edit: obviously remove chain as well)...
^^^How I do it.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try it that way on my RX...gotta get the shock serviced soon, gonna do the swingarm, linkage and shock bearings too.
1/8/2019 1:42am Edited Date/Time 1/8/2019 1:44am
easiest way i found and it takes me at most 5 min
i take the take the seat and number plate& air box panels off then i undo tank bolts and bottom radiator shrouds bolts out put the tank to the side of the frame or disconnect it , remove the mufflers and then take out the 2 bottom sub frame bolts out, just undo the top sub frame bolts 1 turn.
then undo the shock bolts the i lift the sub frame up and you just grab the shock out

its pretty easy

Post a reply to: ‘19 CRF 450 shock removal

The Latest