18 kx 450 suspension

Related:
Create New Tag

3/11/2018 6:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/11/2018 6:44 PM

Hey guys recently bought a 2018 kx 450, had the 16 and loved it so i bought another one, on the 16 i had my forks dialed even though they were the infamous showa TAC fork i still found a great setting without having to get them revalved i felt comfortable on the stock stuff

Im struggling with the 18 settings ( air pressures are ran different than the 16s with the newer models) everything is either way to harsh or way too soft ive tried all the mag test settings to see what i could do with those and still havent really found anything great that im happy with. Thought i would come here to see if any of you guys had any ideas before i took em for a revalve and or spring conversion

My weight is about 250lbs ( with gear on) and im 6 foot 3 so im a bigger guy

Were also running 105 mm of sag in the rear with a 6 3 spring (heavier than stock) thought id leave that here as i know that can effect the way the fork works

Any tips or help is greatly appreciated thanks guys

|

3/11/2018 6:50 PM

You tried the showa app?

|

3/11/2018 6:58 PM

mxb2 wrote:

You tried the showa app?

Yes, didnt really get much there either it was too stiff for the most part but it could be because i didnt understand it that well either

|

3/11/2018 7:27 PM

mxb2 wrote:

You tried the showa app?

braap981 wrote:

Yes, didnt really get much there either it was too stiff for the most part but it could be because i didnt understand it that well either

My buddy tried it said it was ok. Free generic settings lol,. Ended up with spring conversion frt kit and rear sprung and revalved. Factory connection has good settigs for that bike.

|

3/11/2018 7:27 PM

I have new spare InnTech SKF Glide kit for the KX SFF Air if you're interested. It makes a noticeable improvement on eliminating harshness, but does require some labor to install

|

3/11/2018 7:38 PM

mxb2 wrote:

You tried the showa app?

braap981 wrote:

mxb2 wrote:

My buddy tried it said it was ok. Free generic settings lol,. Ended up with spring conversion frt kit and rear sprung and revalved. Factory connection has good settigs for that bike.

Kinda what saw as well but thanks ill keep that in mind if i end up revalving and putting springs in it

|

3/12/2018 9:45 AM

What pressures are you running in each chamber?

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

3/12/2018 10:05 AM

I have a 2017 KX450 and fought with the air settings for a few weeks. I went with a Pro Circuit Spring Conversion and resprung my rear/re-valve and it works really well. Had to adjust the clickers to the track conditions, but no complaints

|

3/12/2018 10:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/12/2018 10:34 AM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

Inner-167 psi
Outer-16.5 psi
Balance-193 psi

|

3/12/2018 3:09 PM

braap981 wrote:

Inner-167 psi
Outer-16.5 psi
Balance-193 psi

Your outer chamber pressure is really high.... The 17-18 got new TAC internals in 2017 even though I don't really think many mags talked about it. The skf glide kit wont work as the piston is larger.

Your inner also seems low for your weight and height; while saying, running a high balance pressure might blow you right through your initial stroke.

Where is the fork being to harsh or to soft? Bottom part of the stroke?

|

3/12/2018 4:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/12/2018 4:00 PM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

braap981 wrote:

Inner-167 psi
Outer-16.5 psi
Balance-193 psi

wisconsinracer24 wrote:

Your outer chamber pressure is really high.... The 17-18 got new TAC internals in 2017 even though I don't really think many mags talked about it. The skf glide kit wont work as the piston is larger.

Your inner also seems low for your weight and height; while saying, running a high balance pressure might blow you right through your initial stroke.

Thanks for the feedback, as one thing i did know was the internals changed for the 17-18 model and i think thats where im struggling as i im not sure really where to start for my weight these were some mag settings they said worked good and theyre the best i have tried personally so far but theyre still far from working good.

I have he high balance pressure set high for the fact that was what made my 16 work really good ( my 16 we ran 204 in the balance with 14.5 and 174 in the inner and outer chambers) and from what i understand you run the pressures a little lower in the 17-18 models than the 2016 but please correct me if i am wrong on that. It works okay in the big bumps and stuff but with the small chop it beats me to death but im kinda just confused on where to start with these forks because im not sure how much lower i should be running my pressures.

|

3/13/2018 8:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/13/2018 8:57 AM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

braap981 wrote:

Inner-167 psi
Outer-16.5 psi
Balance-193 psi

Try running Inner at 180, Outer at 0-5psi, Balance around 180-185. My dad is close to your size and that's around what he runs as a 50+ expert

Edit: These are the recommended pressures from Enzo. That should give you a decent starting point. Your biggest issue could definitely be all that pressure in the outer chamber.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

3/13/2018 12:44 PM

braap981 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, as one thing i did know was the internals changed for the 17-18 model and i think thats where im struggling as i im not sure really where to start for my weight these were some mag settings they said worked good and theyre the best i have tried personally so far but theyre still far from working good.

I have he high balance pressure set high for the fact that was what made my 16 work really good ( my 16 we ran 204 in the balance with 14.5 and 174 in the inner and outer chambers) and from what i understand you run the pressures a little lower in the 17-18 models than the 2016 but please correct me if i am wrong on that. It works okay in the big bumps and stuff but with the small chop it beats me to death but im kinda just confused on where to start with these forks because im not sure how much lower i should be running my pressures.

Small chop is always going to be a problem for the TAC, reducing as much stiction as possible is going to help. Dropping that outer chamber pressure and increasing the inner to compensate will help. If you need bottoming help add oil. Outer chamber pressure creates a lot of stiction

|

3/13/2018 1:05 PM

wisconsinracer24 wrote:

braap981 wrote:

wisconsinracer24 wrote:

Small chop is always going to be a problem for the TAC, reducing as much stiction as possible is going to help. Dropping that outer chamber pressure and increasing the inner to compensate will help. If you need bottoming help add oil. Outer chamber pressure creates a lot of stiction

Thanks guys, i will give these a try sounds like i have my outer chamber too high and the inner too low makes sense why it would feel harsh in the small chop

|

3/13/2018 4:05 PM

+1, I my 16 i run 160-5.5-165, then raised the oil height 10cc in the left fork for bottoming. As a side note even on spring forks i have to raise the oil level with stock valving as i weigh 135lbs

|

3/13/2018 7:05 PM

Dont forget you have lots of Compression and Rebound damping adjustment to work with! Don't just chase air pressures without dialing in your clickers.

|

3/13/2018 7:27 PM

RGaede wrote:

+1, I my 16 i run 160-5.5-165, then raised the oil height 10cc in the left fork for bottoming. As a side note even on spring forks i have to raise the oil level with stock valving as i weigh 135lbs

Absolutly loved my 16 thats the bike im trying to get the 18 to feel like as they are different than the 16s on the pressures

|

3/13/2018 7:30 PM

theycallmeebryan wrote:

Dont forget you have lots of Compression and Rebound damping adjustment to work with! Don't just chase air pressures without dialing in your clickers.

We have messed with some clickers for sure especially with me being the weight i am i think right now im mostly just struggling with the air pressures i think if i could get a decent feeling pressure i could dial it in with the clickers but maybe softening the compression would make it a little softer in the small chop? Not sure but its definantly something to think about trying as well

|