18' TC250 updates.

Slosh 112
Edited Date/Time 11/29/2017 3:39pm
So I've been riding a fair bit lately and really loving the bike, coming off a 2013 YZ450F that totally shattered my confidence in all aspects of my riding, its awesome to push past my personal barriers each time I take it out for a ride. The more I ride it the faster I get, its amazing to be able to take corners at pace and be able to hold a line and hit a jump and know whats going to happen.

Anyway, I've clocked up 6 hours on it now got a few bolt on bits for it and heres a few things i found. First off the exhaust system definitely is not a necessity with this bike, I got it because I wanted to be able to put the original exhaust away so that when the time comes to upgrade again in a few years I can jam it all back on with all the Original plastics (that I took off before I even rode it) and it will look brand new.

The day I put the deposit down on the bike I went unto the parts counter and ordered a few things straight up, some where based solely off Motocross Actions recommendations with 17' model, other stuff was for looks. Got a Faast Co rear brake return spring kit because apparently the rear brake pedal springs were breaking and ordered a full Pro circuit system, with the works pipe and R304 shorty. Not impressed PC stuff at all, the muffler didn't fit well and honestly has the worst finish I've ever seen on a brand new exhaust, the sticker was all faded pink and had scratches on it new out of the bag. I don't know what the works pipe was like because after waiting 3 months for it to arrive in Australia I cancelled the order. The shorty made it hard to ride and was hard to keep the terrible scotch bright finished bare aluminium nice. I've seen better finishes on those cheap Chinese radiators you see getting around on flogged out 06 CRF250R's...

So after enquiring about how much longer the works pipe would be on back order from the states (if thats where they are really made...) the importer got back to us and said it wasn't in their last shipment for the year so it would be here "sometime in the new year, maybe". So canned that and straight up ordered an FMF factory fatty and Titanium Powercore 2.1, Both arrived 5 days later... Anyway I'm super Impressed with the FMF stuff spot on fitment as always and it just looks tough, I did some riding with the stock silencer back on and loved the way it rolled on nice and smooth, coming off a lifetime of four strokes its what I need but I also didn't want it to be 300exc. the 2.1 silencer is best of both worlds its crisp but smooth and gave the bike a bit more over rev with is nice. The FMF fatty seems to be pretty similar to the stock husky pipe.

Few other little things, I fitted V-Force 4 in it because I heard of the issues with the 17's getting gaps between the cage and the petals, sure enough at 3hrs on the clock I pulled it out and it was bad. Got an Acerbis black plastic skid plate, easy lightest thing out there, its full coverage more like a full on enduro bash plate but it looks nice and is tough, but it can be fiddly to mount up especially when your in a hurry to ride. I still say Factory Effex make one of the best seat covers you can get, I've tried and fitted for others a lot of covers (not all mind you) out there and Factory Effex are are at the top for me. ODI lock on grips are the best! end of story!

Future mods down the line will be a Lectron 38mm HV carb setup, Airbox battery tray deletion, a suspension revalve for my speed, I've also been thinking about getting an SDI bladder kit for the shock as I've heard good things about it, coming from Jap bikes it does feel a little different in the back. Maybe I'll powder coat frame black and get some proper gold rims and anodise the hubs black. What do you guys think? any other things worth mentioning if you own one? 17 & 18 250SX owners too!
|
sandman768
11/29/2017 5:04am
I have a 2018 sx 250 with about 12 hrs on it now. I use FMF on all my modern bikes, I don't run the stock pipe & silencer until it's time to sell the bike...Ktm/ husky 2 stroke pipes have a habit of cracking after some use...best to just save them for the resale. I too used Mxa baseline settings....I have never broke a Ktm brake spring in 4 years of riding them...keep eye on the pipe & silencer bolts, they like to come loose, especially the lower pipe mount with the clip nut, I put another nut on the back side of that clip, loctite, never comes loose now. Have my jetting pretty good with 37.5 pilot & stock needle & clip position & 1-2 steps richer main depending on temp & terrain. Another thread in here has someone stating a leaner slide 5.0~6.0 works better. I backed out powervalve tension spring & went 1 tooth smaller in the rear as per Mxa, works good on hardpack/ intermediate dirt, long fast tracks, not so sure about deep sand tracks, I may go back to stock gearing while I"m riding down in Fla. due to the deep sand. Have not pulled my reed cage out yet. I rode a few times with the stock Aer forks, they are good forks, but I have conevalves from my 450 On it now, I have my conevalves setup perfectly, No matter what bike I put them on, don't even touch the clickers. I don't know that I"m faster on the 250 sx, than my 450, but it sure is a lot of fun to ride!
sandman768
11/29/2017 5:08am
I cannot find a plastic skid plate! Cycra stated nothing availible until after New Years! I even went to Ktm dealer, no listing from power parts catalog.
Whymee
11/29/2017 6:10am
I have been a Yamaha man for the past 15 years. Honda's too for the post vintage stuff. I never even considered a European machine.

Until now.

The plan was to buy a new 18 YZ250. I knew the YZ is 10 years dated. Looked around and decided on a Katoom or a Husky after I attended a ride day in Ohio. Purchased a TC250 a couple weeks ago because, well, it is white. I didn't want to invest 500 bux in making the 18 SX into a white machine.

Skip to present day, I have done the following to my zero time machine:

Acerbis Full white kit. AS others have said, saving the virgin plastics for resale. I will be retaining the stock shrouds as I like the look of the stock graphics that are embedded. I have not found a graphics company that reproduces the stock look. Also keeping the the stock fork guards. Possibly there will be a stock color replacement from Acerbis before I ride it this spring.

LCM seat cover. This is my third one. Love 'em. Pricey, but hey, my ass stays planted.

I also read about the issues with the 17 TC250 that MXA had. Was planning on a PC Platinum or Works & a 304 silencer. I might have to rethink that after reading the above post. I also can see a V-Force 4 is in my future...

In the process of deciding on a wheel set. Not a fan of black rims. I really want a gold hub & gold rims. Thats going to be around 1700 bux dressed out. (Magnesium/gold is a second choice, same price) If I go blue /black I drop down to a Tusk set & dress them out at around $1000 bux. I haven't decided but I think gold/gold would be SO bitchen...

ASV C-6 Levers
in the mail.

Even bought a new lift / stand for the occasion.
Also a tire changing stand is planned. (Mikes?)

I plan on running VP 110 cut 50% with 90 recreation fuel (non ethanol). I haven't decided on the oil yet. Been using Yamaha R for most of my adult life and never had a lubrication issue ever. But I have not mixed it at 60:1 either. I am assuming you are mixing at 60:1 too.

Glad someone started this thread. I have not seen any tests on the '18, so I do not know what is different from the '17 model. Will be nice to hear what other peeps are doing as they put time on their machine. Winter here in WV. Mine won't see the light of day until spring.

opyguy
11/29/2017 8:13am
pc 304 silencer makes a big difference, I was surprised, very noticeable difference on over rev.
Riding sand today, mid 50's, 37.5 pilot and went up to 450 main, will give a report back..
Also, I tend to turn PV adjuster in on sand (more hit), back it out on hardpack (smoother power)

The Shop

sandman768
11/29/2017 8:18am
I think 17 & 18"s identical aside from some minor suspension changes? I"m running 90 rec/non ethanol with 50% 110 Sunoco leaded or c12. I"m at 50:1 amsoil dominator. Can't pull trigger on 60:1.... Running my 450 FE plastic, fits right on & looks like an FE 2stroke! The big issue is getting the mikuni jetted correctly for your local & riding type. For me it is too rich off idle & slightly lean on top. Dropping 2 steps down on pilot & raising main 1-2 gets it very close...I feel the needle & clip,position are good. As others have stated in another jetting post on here, the #4 slide is too rich, I will be ordering a #5 soon, but it's not unrideable. If you plan on riding trails or single track I think the slide change would be a must...
Whymee
11/29/2017 8:53am
I think I heard something about some jetting changes on the 18. Not 100% sure on that.

Is the JD Kit worth the $?
AJ565
11/29/2017 11:57am
sandman768 wrote:
I think 17 & 18"s identical aside from some minor suspension changes? I"m running 90 rec/non ethanol with 50% 110 Sunoco leaded or c12. I"m at...
I think 17 & 18"s identical aside from some minor suspension changes? I"m running 90 rec/non ethanol with 50% 110 Sunoco leaded or c12. I"m at 50:1 amsoil dominator. Can't pull trigger on 60:1.... Running my 450 FE plastic, fits right on & looks like an FE 2stroke! The big issue is getting the mikuni jetted correctly for your local & riding type. For me it is too rich off idle & slightly lean on top. Dropping 2 steps down on pilot & raising main 1-2 gets it very close...I feel the needle & clip,position are good. As others have stated in another jetting post on here, the #4 slide is too rich, I will be ordering a #5 soon, but it's not unrideable. If you plan on riding trails or single track I think the slide change would be a must...
I run my '18 250SX at the recommended 60:1 with amsoil dominator using straight C12 and havd no problems once I got it jetted close with the JD jet kid. I have a #6 slide on order to try once it gets here.
AJ565
11/29/2017 12:00pm Edited Date/Time 11/29/2017 12:04pm
Whymee wrote:
I think I heard something about some jetting changes on the 18. Not 100% sure on that.

Is the JD Kit worth the $?
It made a huge improvement to my '18. I ride at 450 above sea level and it was rich all over, most noticeably down low. Its much crisper everywhere with the JD kit and revs much better on the top end.

Back on topic. I ordered the ride engineering steering stabilizer bracket with their black Friday sale and a Honda stabilizer from AOMC.

I have been looking at a PC silencer, but now you have me thinking of not getting it.
11/29/2017 3:39pm
Black and white looks nice man. One thing to try is adjusting the squish band on the cylinder head. From what i understand is it makes tuning much easier and more power. I have my head milled but got injured on the first ride with it so i cant give much more info on performance.

Post a reply to: 18' TC250 updates.

The Latest