18 CRF450r Yosh RS-9 Ti system / Vortex CDI ?

H4L
11/28/2018 5:45am Edited Date/Time 11/28/2018 3:27pm
A reputable shop stated that they were able to get about 6 more HP out of the stock oem engine with this set up. I asked if they had a dyno graph to back up their claims, but were unable to provide one. From speaking to a couple of reputable engine tuners the new engine design responds really well to mods..
Is that a realistic claim of HP increase with good race fuel ?

Have read on forums that some members were able to get a few extra ponies on the 17's when they 1st came out by adding an aftermarket exhaust & a remap with the oem cdi.
|
kb228
11/28/2018 5:48am
I cant speak to your exact setup or provide dyno charts. But from my experience the biggest power gains ive made on my bikes was race gas, a remap, and a pipe. 6 hp? Maybe. I want to think ive seen dynos of PC and FMF pipes adding a couple ponies alone
H4L
11/28/2018 6:02am
kb228 wrote:
I cant speak to your exact setup or provide dyno charts. But from my experience the biggest power gains ive made on my bikes was race...
I cant speak to your exact setup or provide dyno charts. But from my experience the biggest power gains ive made on my bikes was race gas, a remap, and a pipe. 6 hp? Maybe. I want to think ive seen dynos of PC and FMF pipes adding a couple ponies alone
I've gotten noticeable gains on previous 450's owned with an aftermarket exhaust & remap on the oem cdi.
I was wondering if the Vortex CDI is that much more of an improvement over the oem ?
I've seen good reviews on the Vortex & was wondering if that mod upgrade makes that much more of a difference over the stock one.
I've ran JD aftermarket ignitions on 250 2t's & was able to get noticeable gains vs. the stock cdi..
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
11/28/2018 8:06am
kb228 wrote:
I cant speak to your exact setup or provide dyno charts. But from my experience the biggest power gains ive made on my bikes was race...
H4L wrote:
I've gotten noticeable gains on previous 450's owned with an aftermarket exhaust & remap on the oem cdi. I was wondering if the Vortex CDI is...
I've gotten noticeable gains on previous 450's owned with an aftermarket exhaust & remap on the oem cdi.
I was wondering if the Vortex CDI is that much more of an improvement over the oem ?
I've seen good reviews on the Vortex & was wondering if that mod upgrade makes that much more of a difference over the stock one.
I've ran JD aftermarket ignitions on 250 2t's & was able to get noticeable gains vs. the stock cdi..
From what I’ve heard from tuners is that Vortex ECU gives them the ability to tweak things further and more detailed. It’s all in who’s do mapping not just the box itself.

For example, maybe stock Ecu is 0% Throttle, 25%, 50%, 75 and 100.

With Vortex maybe they can go every 10% throttle movement from 0-100%.
H4L
11/28/2018 8:16am
From what I’ve heard from tuners is that Vortex ECU gives them the ability to tweak things further and more detailed. It’s all in who’s do...
From what I’ve heard from tuners is that Vortex ECU gives them the ability to tweak things further and more detailed. It’s all in who’s do mapping not just the box itself.

For example, maybe stock Ecu is 0% Throttle, 25%, 50%, 75 and 100.

With Vortex maybe they can go every 10% throttle movement from 0-100%.
The person I spoke with yesterday mentioned the vortex cdi having a better software vs. the oem thus giving it more parameters to tune with maps. Thnxz..

The Shop

blaze 57
11/28/2018 9:01am
The Vortex works great for engine builders improving the stock motor with heads, porting, cams, pistons etc.

. A stock and re-flashed ECU is fine for stock engines and most riders/bikes.

. I don't think you would gain much when comparing a Vortex to a re-flashed stock ECU on stock motor internals.

I have both Vortex and reflashed stock ECU and didn't gain anything but I do like playing with all the maps on the Vortex other than that there is no huge HP gains.
JohnMatrix
11/28/2018 9:11am Edited Date/Time 11/28/2018 9:12am
Ecu is only as good as the tune in it. Vortex will get you higher resolution for fuel and ignition maps over most stock ecu’s, along with some other nice features. When it comes down to it XX degrees of timing with XX injector pulse width will make the same hp regardless of ecu. All that being said, a good custom tune in your stock Honda ecu is plenty capable for bolt on mods. It has decent resolution (tps cells by fuel/timing cells).
H4L
11/28/2018 10:00am
I do like the idea of having the options the Vortex cdi offers vs. the oem.. Just placed an order for one through Tokyo mods.

Thnxz for the responses..
erik_94COBRA
11/28/2018 11:31am
Would be interested to hear your results on the Tokyo Mods Vortex CDI.

The stock ECU is pretty configurable, but the parameters you can change may not offer the fine tuning capability required. It's also unclear how much change is being made when changing from +1 to +2 in a given cell.

H4L
11/28/2018 1:46pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2018 3:27pm
Would be interested to hear your results on the Tokyo Mods Vortex CDI. The stock ECU is pretty configurable, but the parameters you can change may...

The stock ECU is pretty configurable, but the parameters you can change may not offer the fine tuning capability required. It's also unclear how much change is being made when changing from +1 to +2 in a given cell.

Hey Erik - I m looking forward in trying out the Vortex box combined with the Yosh system. There is a member I've talked to on TT that has used ithe Vortex on 3 450's & said he's gotten good gains over the oem cdi..
Justin at Tokyo Mods did a good job on explaining some features it has that I'm looking for.
I haven't seen any bad reviews on Tokyo Mods maps or the Vortex cdi & think it will be a nice upgrade.
mxb2
11/28/2018 8:46pm
Would be interested to hear your results on the Tokyo Mods Vortex CDI. The stock ECU is pretty configurable, but the parameters you can change may...

H4L wrote:
Hey Erik - I m looking forward in trying out the Vortex box combined with the Yosh system. There is a member I've talked to on...
Hey Erik - I m looking forward in trying out the Vortex box combined with the Yosh system. There is a member I've talked to on TT that has used ithe Vortex on 3 450's & said he's gotten good gains over the oem cdi..
Justin at Tokyo Mods did a good job on explaining some features it has that I'm looking for.
I haven't seen any bad reviews on Tokyo Mods maps or the Vortex cdi & think it will be a nice upgrade.
Justin is super cool. Good info also

Post a reply to: 18 CRF450r Yosh RS-9 Ti system / Vortex CDI ?

The Latest