18 CRF450r Yosh RS-9 Ti system / Vortex CDI ?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/28/2018 5:45 AM

A reputable shop stated that they were able to get about 6 more HP out of the stock oem engine with this set up. I asked if they had a dyno graph to back up their claims, but were unable to provide one. From speaking to a couple of reputable engine tuners the new engine design responds really well to mods..
Is that a realistic claim of HP increase with good race fuel ?

Have read on forums that some members were able to get a few extra ponies on the 17's when they 1st came out by adding an aftermarket exhaust & a remap with the oem cdi.

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

11/28/2018 5:48 AM

I cant speak to your exact setup or provide dyno charts. But from my experience the biggest power gains ive made on my bikes was race gas, a remap, and a pipe. 6 hp? Maybe. I want to think ive seen dynos of PC and FMF pipes adding a couple ponies alone

|

11/28/2018 6:02 AM

kb228 wrote:

I cant speak to your exact setup or provide dyno charts. But from my experience the biggest power gains ive made on my bikes was race gas, a remap, and a pipe. 6 hp? Maybe. I want to think ive seen dynos of PC and FMF pipes adding a couple ponies alone

I've gotten noticeable gains on previous 450's owned with an aftermarket exhaust & remap on the oem cdi.
I was wondering if the Vortex CDI is that much more of an improvement over the oem ?
I've seen good reviews on the Vortex & was wondering if that mod upgrade makes that much more of a difference over the stock one.
I've ran JD aftermarket ignitions on 250 2t's & was able to get noticeable gains vs. the stock cdi..

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

11/28/2018 8:06 AM

kb228 wrote:

I cant speak to your exact setup or provide dyno charts. But from my experience the biggest power gains ive made on my bikes was race gas, a remap, and a pipe. 6 hp? Maybe. I want to think ive seen dynos of PC and FMF pipes adding a couple ponies alone

H4L wrote:

I've gotten noticeable gains on previous 450's owned with an aftermarket exhaust & remap on the oem cdi.
I was wondering if the Vortex CDI is that much more of an improvement over the oem ?
I've seen good reviews on the Vortex & was wondering if that mod upgrade makes that much more of a difference over the stock one.
I've ran JD aftermarket ignitions on 250 2t's & was able to get noticeable gains vs. the stock cdi..

From what I’ve heard from tuners is that Vortex ECU gives them the ability to tweak things further and more detailed. It’s all in who’s do mapping not just the box itself.

For example, maybe stock Ecu is 0% Throttle, 25%, 50%, 75 and 100.

With Vortex maybe they can go every 10% throttle movement from 0-100%.

|

11/28/2018 8:16 AM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

From what I’ve heard from tuners is that Vortex ECU gives them the ability to tweak things further and more detailed. It’s all in who’s do mapping not just the box itself.

For example, maybe stock Ecu is 0% Throttle, 25%, 50%, 75 and 100.

With Vortex maybe they can go every 10% throttle movement from 0-100%.

The person I spoke with yesterday mentioned the vortex cdi having a better software vs. the oem thus giving it more parameters to tune with maps. Thnxz..

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

11/28/2018 9:01 AM

The Vortex works great for engine builders improving the stock motor with heads, porting, cams, pistons etc.

. A stock and re-flashed ECU is fine for stock engines and most riders/bikes.

. I don't think you would gain much when comparing a Vortex to a re-flashed stock ECU on stock motor internals.

I have both Vortex and reflashed stock ECU and didn't gain anything but I do like playing with all the maps on the Vortex other than that there is no huge HP gains.

|

11/28/2018 9:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/28/2018 9:12 AM

Ecu is only as good as the tune in it. Vortex will get you higher resolution for fuel and ignition maps over most stock ecu’s, along with some other nice features. When it comes down to it XX degrees of timing with XX injector pulse width will make the same hp regardless of ecu. All that being said, a good custom tune in your stock Honda ecu is plenty capable for bolt on mods. It has decent resolution (tps cells by fuel/timing cells).

|

11/28/2018 10:00 AM

I do like the idea of having the options the Vortex cdi offers vs. the oem.. Just placed an order for one through Tokyo mods.

Thnxz for the responses..

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

11/28/2018 11:31 AM

Would be interested to hear your results on the Tokyo Mods Vortex CDI.

The stock ECU is pretty configurable, but the parameters you can change may not offer the fine tuning capability required. It's also unclear how much change is being made when changing from +1 to +2 in a given cell.

Photo

|

11/28/2018 1:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/28/2018 3:27 PM

erik_94COBRA wrote:

Would be interested to hear your results on the Tokyo Mods Vortex CDI.

The stock ECU is pretty configurable, but the parameters you can change may not offer the fine tuning capability required. It's also unclear how much change is being made when changing from +1 to +2 in a given cell.

Photo

Hey Erik - I m looking forward in trying out the Vortex box combined with the Yosh system. There is a member I've talked to on TT that has used ithe Vortex on 3 450's & said he's gotten good gains over the oem cdi..
Justin at Tokyo Mods did a good job on explaining some features it has that I'm looking for.
I haven't seen any bad reviews on Tokyo Mods maps or the Vortex cdi & think it will be a nice upgrade.

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

11/28/2018 8:46 PM

erik_94COBRA wrote:

Would be interested to hear your results on the Tokyo Mods Vortex CDI.

The stock ECU is pretty configurable, but the parameters you can change may not offer the fine tuning capability required. It's also unclear how much change is being made when changing from +1 to +2 in a given cell.

Photo

H4L wrote:

Hey Erik - I m looking forward in trying out the Vortex box combined with the Yosh system. There is a member I've talked to on TT that has used ithe Vortex on 3 450's & said he's gotten good gains over the oem cdi..
Justin at Tokyo Mods did a good job on explaining some features it has that I'm looking for.
I haven't seen any bad reviews on Tokyo Mods maps or the Vortex cdi & think it will be a nice upgrade.

Justin is super cool. Good info also

|