18' 450sxf TPS adjust???

GCBC
Edited Date/Time 4/9/2019 9:11pm
*all I want to know is how someone else w an 18 450 adjusted this hidden sensor, hopefully without pulling the subframe and basically whole bike apart*

Ok, so apparently I need to increase the v slightly on my new 18 450sxf because it stalls if you look at it sideways, very slight pop on deceleration and the biggest thing as being super jerky on/off throttle transition all pointing to the bike being lean.

Watched the videos and im like ok this is easy, just need to slightly twist the thing and go in .02v increments, go out to garage look at bike and there's this cover over it where you cannot access the 2nd screw holding it on. I took off the lower screw and just bent the entire cover to get partial access to the sensor and loosened the one torx screw but it appears that you need the other sides torx screw to be loose to adjust.

am I missing something obvious here?
|
GCBC
3/17/2019 11:52am

Bruce372
3/17/2019 1:31pm
Turn the idle knob up sligjtly... that raises the tps voltage.

I spoke to Tokyo mods and they insist not to mess with it on these bikes comapared to older ones. Other people have done it, but it's easy to try the idle first
GCBC
3/17/2019 2:04pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Turn the idle knob up sligjtly... that raises the tps voltage. I spoke to Tokyo mods and they insist not to mess with it on these...
Turn the idle knob up sligjtly... that raises the tps voltage.

I spoke to Tokyo mods and they insist not to mess with it on these bikes comapared to older ones. Other people have done it, but it's easy to try the idle first
Yeah I asked about that in another thread, my idle’s deff high enough since I’ve raised it multiple times w no positive effect. Put another hr on the bike today and it’s a really bad jerky on/off transition. I don’t wanna send out my ECUs if this TPS is gonna need adjusted regardless to get it to run right.

As another note, I got itnup on 4th gear and went down a long hill intentionally no throttle to double check for popping and it does do the occasional decel pop.
Bruce372
3/17/2019 2:13pm
I've got the 2017 fc450. Bought the fmf full system along with 2 stroke filter and it lean popped.

Sent the ecu to Tokyo and 20 mins after USPS said it arrived, I got the call to go over my setup. 10 mins later USPS says it's on its way.

The whole process took 4 days door to door, cost $106 and the bike runs amazing ever since.

The Shop

GCBC
3/17/2019 6:43pm
Bruce372 wrote:
I've got the 2017 fc450. Bought the fmf full system along with 2 stroke filter and it lean popped. Sent the ecu to Tokyo and 20...
I've got the 2017 fc450. Bought the fmf full system along with 2 stroke filter and it lean popped.

Sent the ecu to Tokyo and 20 mins after USPS said it arrived, I got the call to go over my setup. 10 mins later USPS says it's on its way.

The whole process took 4 days door to door, cost $106 and the bike runs amazing ever since.
So no tps reset? what options did they have to tune your ecu? were running similar setups I guess. other than altitude and octane
erik_94COBRA
3/18/2019 7:05am
Adjusted the voltage on my '19 450SXF. Improved starting and made for better initial throttle response.

I had to rotate the throttle body in order to access the 2nd screw on the cover.

Did you buy the TPS pigtail/adapter thing?
GCBC
3/18/2019 11:17am
I didn’t buy the tps thing yet, just mailed the ECU to Justin @ tokoyo mods to alieviate my problems. hopefully it’s all sorted. Come the weekend. If it persists I’ll be upset and then adjust the tps which he was vehemently against doing
GCBC
3/24/2019 7:01am
Alright here's the update. it stalls a lot less, only stalled about 10 times in an hr vs 25+ previously before the ecu. bike doesnt seem to run any harder or smoother either. Bike is now stalling mainly while on the gas. ex 2nd gear low speed no clutch but not quite chugging rpms and going from 0-5% and quickly twisting to 25%+ it shuts down. does it consistently. dies off also in 1st gear under same conditions.
Bruce372
3/24/2019 2:42pm
Something really doesnt sound right... more like an issue with the bike vs a fuel setting being off.

Migjt be worth buying the TPS tool to measure the voltage but maybe not adjust until you've checked everything out and talked with Tokyo
GCBC
3/25/2019 1:50pm
they said check the TPS since I know my exhaust has no air leaks and is very nice fitting. so looking like im going to have to tear the bike down to do it since I couldn't access under the stupid cover with its completely hidden rear bolt.
blaze 57
3/25/2019 2:38pm Edited Date/Time 3/25/2019 2:40pm
Yeah they made the access super easy on the 18.5 450 factory edition and the new 19's.

Takes a couple minutes to check. Mine came from the factory at almost .49 v and I bumped it to .62 or around that. Its hard to get it perfect because its so sensitive to movement but you can easily get it in the ball park.

I'm currently running a Vortex mapped by Tokyo Mods.

With the idle correctly at factory spec set you should be able to idle the bike in 1st gear with your hand off the throttle and on flat ground the bike should just easily chug along and not flame-out or stall.
GCBC
3/25/2019 5:16pm
blaze 57 wrote:
Yeah they made the access super easy on the 18.5 450 factory edition and the new 19's. Takes a couple minutes to check. Mine came from...
Yeah they made the access super easy on the 18.5 450 factory edition and the new 19's.

Takes a couple minutes to check. Mine came from the factory at almost .49 v and I bumped it to .62 or around that. Its hard to get it perfect because its so sensitive to movement but you can easily get it in the ball park.

With the idle correctly at factory spec set you should be able to idle the bike in 1st gear with your hand off the throttle and on flat ground the bike should just easily chug along and not flame-out or stall.
If your in 2nd gear say 10-15mph and snap it open to 30%+ throttle like bouncing a no clutch wheelie will yours cut out and stall? my bike “might” be able to gently slip the clutch w no throttle on pavement and pull along and not stall will have to test it. It’s nothing like my 125 or 150 tho that will pull in 2nd gear from idle no throttle and chug along all day up a hill
blaze 57
3/25/2019 8:08pm
blaze 57 wrote:
Yeah they made the access super easy on the 18.5 450 factory edition and the new 19's. Takes a couple minutes to check. Mine came from...

GCBC wrote:
If your in 2nd gear say 10-15mph and snap it open to 30%+ throttle like bouncing a no clutch wheelie will yours cut out and stall...
If your in 2nd gear say 10-15mph and snap it open to 30%+ throttle like bouncing a no clutch wheelie will yours cut out and stall? my bike “might” be able to gently slip the clutch w no throttle on pavement and pull along and not stall will have to test it. It’s nothing like my 125 or 150 tho that will pull in 2nd gear from idle no throttle and chug along all day up a hill
No it won't cut out, flame-out or stall doing that. The throttle response is instantaneous. Even revving the engine on the stand its like a 2-stroke and instantaneous throttle response.
It was like this right after I adjusted the TPS. Before it would easily flame out at only .49v.

I have added the FMF full exhaust, screenless filter cage and Vortex. The Vortex really didn't add any noticeable power over the stock re-mapped ECU.

Is your TPS set above .60 volts?
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
3/26/2019 7:53am
blaze 57 wrote:

GCBC wrote:
If your in 2nd gear say 10-15mph and snap it open to 30%+ throttle like bouncing a no clutch wheelie will yours cut out and stall...
blaze 57 wrote:
No it won't cut out, flame-out or stall doing that. The throttle response is instantaneous. Even revving the engine on the stand its like a 2-stroke...
No it won't cut out, flame-out or stall doing that. The throttle response is instantaneous. Even revving the engine on the stand its like a 2-stroke and instantaneous throttle response.
It was like this right after I adjusted the TPS. Before it would easily flame out at only .49v.

I have added the FMF full exhaust, screenless filter cage and Vortex. The Vortex really didn't add any noticeable power over the stock re-mapped ECU.

Is your TPS set above .60 volts?
You should talk to Twisted about having him map your Vortex. I rode mine back to back against stock EcU after 20 hours and it’s honestly unbelievable the difference. I couldn’t even jump the jumps from the inside lines I was taking. Power difference and the way the power comes on.

Maybe You can ask him to leave the current map you’re using on there also.

Another thing I learned from Chad at XPR motorsports is to reduce fuel from the trim adjusters every +3,000ft in elevation. Or with very cold abnormal temps you can add fuel.
GCBC
3/26/2019 7:36pm
is there a way to check the current V of it without taking it al apart? check some wires at the ecu?
GCBC
4/6/2019 10:07pm
Can I change 1st gear ratio out? How much and will it fit to reduce 1st gear in the gearbox 10-15%? never use it on the track might as well drop it if its only 150$ or so to make it a crawler gear while keeping the nice 2-3-4 it has
4/6/2019 11:49pm
blaze 57 wrote:

After adjusting your tps to 0.62 did you still have the std ECU fitted? My 19 250f also came from the factory at 0.50 ish, I bumped it up to 0.62 (I've opened up the air box and fitted an fmf pipe) but it didn't run right on track, ended up at 0.58 which seems perfect but on the stand if I rev it hard it flames out (tbh its always done this from new and std)...I was considering getting a GET ecu.
blaze 57
4/9/2019 9:10pm
blaze 57 wrote:

After adjusting your tps to 0.62 did you still have the std ECU fitted? My 19 250f also came from the factory at 0.50 ish, I...
After adjusting your tps to 0.62 did you still have the std ECU fitted? My 19 250f also came from the factory at 0.50 ish, I bumped it up to 0.62 (I've opened up the air box and fitted an fmf pipe) but it didn't run right on track, ended up at 0.58 which seems perfect but on the stand if I rev it hard it flames out (tbh its always done this from new and std)...I was considering getting a GET ecu.
I never changed the TPS once I got it at .62. I've run it this way with both the Vortex and stock ECU which has been re-mapped. Runs hard and crisp with either ECU and no flame-outs. Idle is at factory setting. I bought a cheap Tiny Tach. Those work great for checking your idle.

Post a reply to: 18' 450sxf TPS adjust???

The Latest