18-21 RMZ 450/250 ECU re mount?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/23/2020 6:37 PM

I’ve got a project bike that I’ve been working on and enjoyed my first ride on it! In the process of doing the must have mods on it as we speak.

Has anyone re mounted these ECUs to be in a easier to access location ?

Currently you have to remove the seat ,tank, metal bracket , then Allen brackets holding it to the frame , then shimmy it out of a very tight spot between the TB, frame and all the wiring.,

Anyone else come up with something to make a vortex accessible for relative easy trim and map changes ?

|

11/28/2020 8:48 AM

I'm wondering the same thing. I recently installed a Vortex ECU and it would be nice to access is without taking the bike apart.

|

11/28/2020 8:58 PM

Not trying to thread jack here because I have wondered the same thing for when the day comes that I bite the bullet on an Vortex, but what's your thoughts on the gains on the 450? I've got an 18' that's all stock and am looking for something to fill in that drop in too end power. Debating between a pipe and the Vortex or what but one of the off-putting things of the Vortex is the fact that you can't access the screws on the RMZ

|

11/29/2020 3:05 PM

Coughlin639 wrote:

Not trying to thread jack here because I have wondered the same thing for when the day comes that I bite the bullet on an Vortex, but what's your thoughts on the gains on the 450? I've got an 18' that's all stock and am looking for something to fill in that drop in too end power. Debating between a pipe and the Vortex or what but one of the off-putting things of the Vortex is the fact that you can't access the screws on the RMZ

My ECU is programmed by Jamie at Twisted Development. It made a pretty signifigant gain. The engine revs much faster/free feeling. It also revs further, and has more power through the RPM range. I also have a Yoshimura full exhaust. I installed the exhaust first and have probably 10 hours with just the exhaust upgraded. I would assume that the exhaust increases the performance of the ECU. The exhaust alone had similar results, but they were not as drastic. For me the ECU made a bigger difference, but I don't know how it would have been with the stock exhaust? I also installed a map switch with the vortex, so I have access to 2 of the 10 maps, which seems to be reasonable. I usually stay in 1 map and occasionally switch to the 2nd one. It would be nice to access the trim screws and other maps on the ECU without taking the bike apart, but it's not the end of the world. All together the bike feels much better than stock. It still has the smooth linear power, but more of it. If I had to choose between the exhaust and ECU I would probably pick the ECU based on performance. The exhaust sure does look good though. Hope this helps.

- GR

|

11/29/2020 3:25 PM

Gryan128 wrote:

My ECU is programmed by Jamie at Twisted Development. It made a pretty signifigant gain. The engine revs much faster/free feeling. It also revs further, and has more power through the RPM range. I also have a Yoshimura full exhaust. I installed the exhaust first and have probably 10 hours with just the exhaust upgraded. I would assume that the exhaust increases the performance of the ECU. The exhaust alone had similar results, but they were not as drastic. For me the ECU made a bigger difference, but I don't know how it would have been with the stock exhaust? I also installed a map switch with the vortex, so I have access to 2 of the 10 maps, which seems to be reasonable. I usually stay in 1 map and occasionally switch to the 2nd one. It would be nice to access the trim screws and other maps on the ECU without taking the bike apart, but it's not the end of the world. All together the bike feels much better than stock. It still has the smooth linear power, but more of it. If I had to choose between the exhaust and ECU I would probably pick the ECU based on performance. The exhaust sure does look good though. Hope this helps.

- GR

At the moment I would agree as well . Will have a PC pipe on this one shortly , the package should be great combined .

|

11/29/2020 3:54 PM

Coughlin639 wrote:

Gryan128 wrote:

- GR

JkopMx wrote:

At the moment I would agree as well . Will have a PC pipe on this one shortly , the package should be great combined .

You'll love it. It sucks that people can't get over a kick starter. It really is a great bike. I absolutely love mine.

|

11/29/2020 10:12 PM

Gryan128 wrote:

- GR

JkopMx wrote:

Gryan128 wrote:

You'll love it. It sucks that people can't get over a kick starter. It really is a great bike. I absolutely love mine.

I had a ton of issues with mine right off the bat. Crank locked up with 27 minutes of run time on it, come to find out, somehow it had walked into right side engine cover destroying the seal where the oil is fed I to the crank. After that was resolved though, it's the best bike I've ever rode. I even love the factory suspension and have no issues with the BFRC. I figured if I could spice up the top end a little bit to make it even more competitive with the Honda's, it could only get better

|