'18 150SX spark issues

Related:
Create New Tag

5/12/2018 4:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/12/2018 4:43 PM

2018 KTM 150SX 60 hours on the clock:
Situation: Bike ran great all day, then started breaking up a bit on the low end, then just quit one me.
Diagnosis: Weak spark, then intermittent, then nothing.
Troubleshooting: The coil is out of spec per the service manual (but so is the one in my 250xc when i pulled to swap it over and it has bright strong spark), also per the service man the "ignition charging circuit" is out of spec on the stator.

Question: Kind of bummed anyone else experienced this kind of failure on such a young bike? Also thoughts on both coils being out yet both showing strong spark?

Edit: everything else checked in spec per the manual.

|

5/12/2018 10:09 PM

So does it run with the 250 coil?

|

5/13/2018 3:58 AM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

So does it run with the 250 coil?

The 150 won't run with either coil. The 250 runs fine with the 150 coil.

|

5/13/2018 5:32 AM

Definitely check and make sure you dont have any wires rubbing or loose connections. Otherwise, could be the stator. Some earlier KTM 2 strokes use to have stator problems, but it is not common on the new gen models. May be worth a call to the dealer. KTM has warrantied older and more expensive stuff than that before.

|

5/13/2018 7:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/13/2018 7:33 AM

Check your ground connections are clean and tight.

Replace the spark plug or check it on the 250.

Remove the kill switch or replace.

There’s not much to the 150 wiring. I wonder if your CDI went bad for some reason? That’s all that’s really left or stator but I never really heard of those going bad. Make sure it’s clean as all still connected.

Like stated above from MX 915 check for broken wire or connection that came apart.

|

5/13/2018 6:19 PM

Ended up actually being the connection to the CDI. Came to this conclusion after swapping over all suspect parts from a friends working 150. The plug is a little loose and doesn't seem to really fit deep enough into the the CDI itself, so one big zip tie all the way around it and bingo its good to go. I swapped all my parts back on the bike and she still runs perfect, so im calling it good.

|

5/13/2018 9:12 PM

navalseabee wrote:

Ended up actually being the connection to the CDI. Came to this conclusion after swapping over all suspect parts from a ...more

Mine is the same actually but because the clip broke. I used 2 zip tys and gorilla tape to ensure it doesn’t come off. I’d go over the top, more than you need on this because you don’t want it to cut out.

|

5/14/2018 9:43 AM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

Mine is the same actually but because the clip broke. I used 2 zip tys and gorilla tape to ensure it doesn’t come off. I’d go ...more

care to post up a picture?

|