‘18 150SX front wheel bearings done at 16 hours, possible warrantee?

Edited Date/Time 12/1/2018 4:58am
Hey guys,
Pulling apart my 150 for the winter and I realized that the front wheel bearings are shot, with only 16.1 hours on them. I wouldn’t get my hopes up for a warrentee with any Japanese brand, but I’ve seen Ktm be extremely generous in the past. Anyone ever delt with KTM to do a warrentee? Is it even worth it or should I just buy some new ones are forget about it? Thanks
|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
11/26/2018 7:34pm
If you have a good dealer it's worth a shot. But at 16 hours it could be from riding sand, mud or pressure washing technique?
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1957th
11/27/2018 1:20am
As said above, that could very well be normal. Thats a pretty cheap fix, maybe save any possible good will from your dealer for a more expensive problem.
kb228
11/27/2018 3:21am
I doubt theyd cover wear items like wheel bearings.
11/29/2018 9:30pm
Nope oem ktm bearings have always sucked and wear out quick. Best bet us to just upgrade your front and rear bearing to the pivot works ktm/husky upgrade kit. Comes with new spacers and o-rings along with better bearings. Moose makes a kit as well that will actually come with a new inner hub collar. U can't go wrong with either one and will get waaaaaaaaay more than 16 hours out of them.

The Shop

FiendzCC
11/30/2018 12:30pm
Nope oem ktm bearings have always sucked and wear out quick. Best bet us to just upgrade your front and rear bearing to the pivot works...
Nope oem ktm bearings have always sucked and wear out quick. Best bet us to just upgrade your front and rear bearing to the pivot works ktm/husky upgrade kit. Comes with new spacers and o-rings along with better bearings. Moose makes a kit as well that will actually come with a new inner hub collar. U can't go wrong with either one and will get waaaaaaaaay more than 16 hours out of them.
I've been doing wheels for a little while now, and I must say this is pretty bad info. OP's bearings likely went out from water getting between the spacer and seal during washing. This is extremely common, and can happen on any brand of bike depending on how you wash your bike. Only other thing I would say it could be is incorrect tightening of the front axle. KTM wheels have a number of issues, but the quality of bearing used isn't one of them.

Also, both products you just recommended are made in China. OP would be DOWNGRADING bearing quality changing to either of those brands from OEM, and the PW one actually changes the size of everything from stock claiming it to be an "upgrade". This is a pointless exercise, trying to fix an issue that doesn't exist.
11/30/2018 2:08pm
FiendzCC wrote:
I've been doing wheels for a little while now, and I must say this is pretty bad info. OP's bearings likely went out from water getting...
I've been doing wheels for a little while now, and I must say this is pretty bad info. OP's bearings likely went out from water getting between the spacer and seal during washing. This is extremely common, and can happen on any brand of bike depending on how you wash your bike. Only other thing I would say it could be is incorrect tightening of the front axle. KTM wheels have a number of issues, but the quality of bearing used isn't one of them.

Also, both products you just recommended are made in China. OP would be DOWNGRADING bearing quality changing to either of those brands from OEM, and the PW one actually changes the size of everything from stock claiming it to be an "upgrade". This is a pointless exercise, trying to fix an issue that doesn't exist.
Yup I’ll go oem for sure on replacement or a decent aftermarket, not moose. I think it’s a combo of sand/mud/washing and lack of grease from Austria.
11/30/2018 6:00pm
To each there own I guess. Just telling you what I've seen and sold during my time behind a parts counter. I personally put the pivot works kit with the new collars and o-ring on my 2014 kx250f when the stock ones wore out...3 years and around 80 hours later they're still going strong and yes I always pressure wash my bike. It's not rocket science to realize that o-rings are going to seal out water and dirt better than a setup with no o-rings...its the same reason why an o-ring chain lasts longer than a non o-ring. PLUS when they do eventually wear out I'll just send them back to pivot works with a copy of my receipt and they send me a new set, it's hard to beat that. I'm absolutely a believer in oem parts especially when it comes to engine internals but when it comes to things like linkage bearings, wheel bearings and other rebuild bearing kits i go with pivot works for myself as well as my customers. IMO they're cheaper, better and like I said you can't beat a lifetime warranty. If your oem bearings wore out after 16 hours the first time they'll most likely do the same thing the second time around. Good luck with whatever you end up going with man.
Rickyisms
11/30/2018 6:05pm
To each there own I guess. Just telling you what I've seen and sold during my time behind a parts counter. I personally put the pivot...
To each there own I guess. Just telling you what I've seen and sold during my time behind a parts counter. I personally put the pivot works kit with the new collars and o-ring on my 2014 kx250f when the stock ones wore out...3 years and around 80 hours later they're still going strong and yes I always pressure wash my bike. It's not rocket science to realize that o-rings are going to seal out water and dirt better than a setup with no o-rings...its the same reason why an o-ring chain lasts longer than a non o-ring. PLUS when they do eventually wear out I'll just send them back to pivot works with a copy of my receipt and they send me a new set, it's hard to beat that. I'm absolutely a believer in oem parts especially when it comes to engine internals but when it comes to things like linkage bearings, wheel bearings and other rebuild bearing kits i go with pivot works for myself as well as my customers. IMO they're cheaper, better and like I said you can't beat a lifetime warranty. If your oem bearings wore out after 16 hours the first time they'll most likely do the same thing the second time around. Good luck with whatever you end up going with man.
There's no time limit on the warranty on Pivot works kits? Just send the receipt back with the old ones and they send you a new set?
11/30/2018 7:19pm
Yup. Only catch is it's a one time free replacement for each kit you buy. So calling it a lifetime warranty is a little misleading because regardless of how good you are with maintenance all bearings will eventually wear out and if you own a bike for a few years you'll most likely have to do certain bearing kits more than twice. Still, no other bearing companies have anything like what pivot works has as far as a warranty goes so going with them over all balls, moose or bearing connections is an easy decision for most. I've attached a pic off PWs website for you also.

barnett468
11/30/2018 7:30pm Edited Date/Time 11/30/2018 7:31pm
Hey guys, Pulling apart my 150 for the winter and I realized that the front wheel bearings are shot, with only 16.1 hours on them. I...
Hey guys,
Pulling apart my 150 for the winter and I realized that the front wheel bearings are shot, with only 16.1 hours on them. I wouldn’t get my hopes up for a warrentee with any Japanese brand, but I’ve seen Ktm be extremely generous in the past. Anyone ever delt with KTM to do a warrentee? Is it even worth it or should I just buy some new ones are forget about it? Thanks
What are all the numbers and letters on your bearings?

You might be able to get better bearings than the original ones or at least ones that are just as good but less expensive if the originals are a bit pricey.
Rickyisms
11/30/2018 8:51pm
Yup. Only catch is it's a one time free replacement for each kit you buy. So calling it a lifetime warranty is a little misleading because...
Yup. Only catch is it's a one time free replacement for each kit you buy. So calling it a lifetime warranty is a little misleading because regardless of how good you are with maintenance all bearings will eventually wear out and if you own a bike for a few years you'll most likely have to do certain bearing kits more than twice. Still, no other bearing companies have anything like what pivot works has as far as a warranty goes so going with them over all balls, moose or bearing connections is an easy decision for most. I've attached a pic off PWs website for you also.

Cool, Thanks for the info. Got a ton of pivot works stuff with the last bike i bought so I don't have the receipts but will be going with them next time too.
BR8ES
11/30/2018 8:56pm
First time I have heard the praises of aftermarket over OEM. Interesting.
kb228
12/1/2018 4:17am
Ive had really good experiences with pivot works and all balls bearings. Ive had the same bearings for 3 years in my 450 and theyre still good. Theyre cheaper than oem and work perfectly fine. I dont see a reason to spend more money. 16 hours on oem bearings is pretty bad. They could have been a fluke tho.
navalseabee
12/1/2018 4:58am
I have had nothing but bad luck with Pivot Works and All Balls wheel and linkage bearings. OEM only for me.

Post a reply to: ‘18 150SX front wheel bearings done at 16 hours, possible warrantee?

The Latest