17' TC250 Jetting Help

alexk417
3/7/2018 7:51am
AJ565 wrote:
Yes they slide right in. I'm at the same elevation and so far the 5.75 I have is just about spot on if not on a...
Yes they slide right in. I'm at the same elevation and so far the 5.75 I have is just about spot on if not on a tad on the lean side. I'd try and find a 5.5 or the 5.75 if I were you. I plan on ordering a 5.5 myself just to try.
Right on! Thanks for the info. I guess I'll play it safe and go with the 5.5. I don't want to be too lean. But I mean I'm already jumping from a 4.0 to a 5.5 slide..6.0 would likely be too lean.

How noticeable of a difference was it for you? I haven't spent that much time messing with the machine, and have been sitting back reading. If someone has a worthy setting, I'm all for trying it out.

I do have pipe, silencer and vforce reeds if that comes into play... Thanks again for the insight.
AJ565
3/7/2018 8:23am
alexk417 wrote:
Right on! Thanks for the info. I guess I'll play it safe and go with the 5.5. I don't want to be too lean. But I...
Right on! Thanks for the info. I guess I'll play it safe and go with the 5.5. I don't want to be too lean. But I mean I'm already jumping from a 4.0 to a 5.5 slide..6.0 would likely be too lean.

How noticeable of a difference was it for you? I haven't spent that much time messing with the machine, and have been sitting back reading. If someone has a worthy setting, I'm all for trying it out.

I do have pipe, silencer and vforce reeds if that comes into play... Thanks again for the insight.
Night and day different. What fuel are you running? I have a setup for VP C12 and VP u4.4. If you're running pump then the C12 settings will get you in the ball park.
alexk417
3/7/2018 8:53am
alexk417 wrote:
Right on! Thanks for the info. I guess I'll play it safe and go with the 5.5. I don't want to be too lean. But I...

AJ565 wrote:
Night and day different. What fuel are you running? I have a setup for VP C12 and VP u4.4. If you're running pump then the C12...
Night and day different. What fuel are you running? I have a setup for VP C12 and VP u4.4. If you're running pump then the C12 settings will get you in the ball park.
Honestly I haven't been running race fuel in the bike. Just Sunoco 94. Always worked fine on my YZ250. Though I have toyed around with mixing 1/2 and 1/2 for the Husky/KTM.

Running 50:1 premix using BelRay H1R
AJ565
3/7/2018 9:44am
This is the jetting I had with C12 in the mid 60*'s
MJ 470
PJ 32.5
Slide 5.75
Needle 42-75
Clip 4th position
Needle jet s-4
AS 2.0
C12 mixed 60:1 with amsoil donionator
Elevation 560'

Depending on the temp you'll have to adjust the clip. It was warmer this past weekend and I had to drop back to the 3rd clip position as it was in the low 70's. You might want to try that set up, but use a 460 main jet and 1.5 turns on the air screw and see how it runs with pump gas.

The Shop

alexk417
3/7/2018 2:13pm Edited Date/Time 3/7/2018 2:38pm
AJ565 wrote:
This is the jetting I had with C12 in the mid 60*'s MJ 470 PJ 32.5 Slide 5.75 Needle 42-75 Clip 4th position Needle jet s-4...
MJ 470
PJ 32.5
Slide 5.75
Needle 42-75
Clip 4th position
Needle jet s-4
AS 2.0
Elevation 560'

Depending on the temp you'll have to adjust the clip. It was warmer this past weekend and I had to drop back to the 3rd clip position as it was in the low 70's. You might want to try that set up, but use a 460 main jet and 1.5 turns on the air screw and see how it runs with pump gas.
AJ - Are you happy enough to stick with the 5.75 slide or do you still plan to try the 5.5? I ordered everything else up including a 470 main just in case as they didn't come in the owners pack of jets. I'm just having a hard time deciding between the slides as it's the most expensive part. Grinning

If anyone has feedback on the 5.5 slide I'd be curious to hear.
AJ565
3/7/2018 2:25pm
I'm really happy with how it runs right now and would have no problem leaving it like it is. I want to try the 5.5 just to see what happens. I was thinking of sending the stock one out to be cut to a 5.5 as that costs about $20.
3/7/2018 2:32pm
paddyB745 wrote:
Should be. Main reason I used the RM cable and throttle is because it came with the carb and was in good shape. Plus it’s the...
Should be. Main reason I used the RM cable and throttle is because it came with the carb and was in good shape. Plus it’s the longer cable which routes the traditional way which I like better. Im sure I could have made the stock set up work but I didn’t need to.
thanks man. I appreciate the feedback.
riv187
3/13/2018 5:15pm
To those that have a 5.75 slide,,,what is the height and how measured.What would a 5.5 height be? I've ground out slides before,,and wouldlike to do my stock one,once I know the amount to remove.
urbanlift707
3/15/2018 11:16pm
I have a 2017 with 55 hours on it now and like many struggled to be totally satisfied with the jetting. Since I was due for another rebuild I decided to send the jug and head to Pro Circuit for a port and polish job. Total cost was $390 plus shipping. For me this has completely fixed my jetting issues, it is sooo much cleaner running now, I'm kicking myself for not thinking to try this sooner.
PC pipe and silencer
110 sunoco 60:1 with synthetic maxima
v force reed cage
2nd clip
I did not read through this whole thread so sorry if porting has been discussed.
digger
Fantasy
3871st
3/16/2018 6:31am
riv187 wrote:
To those that have a 5.75 slide,,,what is the height and how measured.What would a 5.5 height be? I've ground out slides before,,and wouldlike to do...
To those that have a 5.75 slide,,,what is the height and how measured.What would a 5.5 height be? I've ground out slides before,,and wouldlike to do my stock one,once I know the amount to remove.
A 5.5 slide would be 1.5mm taller at peak arc than the oem #4, with a cut out angle of I believe 35deg.
3/17/2018 2:39am
Is the carb that far off on these bikes? I am considering a 18 TC250 but this thread makes me wonder if it’s a good idea or not

Last thing I want to do after dropping 8 grand is mess with jetting and carb bs. I’m coming off a FI 4 stroke.
3/17/2018 4:23pm
Is the carb that far off on these bikes? I am considering a 18 TC250 but this thread makes me wonder if it’s a good idea...
Is the carb that far off on these bikes? I am considering a 18 TC250 but this thread makes me wonder if it’s a good idea or not

Last thing I want to do after dropping 8 grand is mess with jetting and carb bs. I’m coming off a FI 4 stroke.
my stock jetting at seal level was pretty close, but went to a track at 3800' and it was terrible. the TMX carb seems temperamental with temp and altitude changes. im switching over to JD's pwk and hope to be done with changing jets and needles at the track.
3/17/2018 6:27pm
Is the carb that far off on these bikes? I am considering a 18 TC250 but this thread makes me wonder if it’s a good idea...

my stock jetting at seal level was pretty close, but went to a track at 3800' and it was terrible. the TMX carb seems temperamental with...
my stock jetting at seal level was pretty close, but went to a track at 3800' and it was terrible. the TMX carb seems temperamental with temp and altitude changes. im switching over to JD's pwk and hope to be done with changing jets and needles at the track.
For someone who stays at one altitude is the stock jetting close or should I just plan on a lectron carb? Went and looked today...bikes look sick.
3/17/2018 7:21pm
For someone coming from fuel injection, IMO, prolly wouldnt be a bad idea. Ive heard of guys getting the tc's for 7500 OTD. That will leave you with some left over for the lectron. I'd even work a deal if you buy the bike that the parts department order the lectron for cost+10% for you.
CSAR FE
3/18/2018 2:32pm Edited Date/Time 3/24/2018 9:44pm

my stock jetting at seal level was pretty close, but went to a track at 3800' and it was terrible. the TMX carb seems temperamental with...
For someone who stays at one altitude is the stock jetting close or should I just plan on a lectron carb? Went and looked today...bikes look...
For someone who stays at one altitude is the stock jetting close or should I just plan on a lectron carb? Went and looked today...bikes look sick.
If you're going to get another carb, get a Keihin from JD jetting. $330 bucks with the jetting kit. I tried the Lectron and it made the bike feel wicked slow. With the 38mm Keihin on it, it flat out rips. Starts first try, idles perfectly, and pulls strong all the way through the RPM range.
sdhuskyrider
5/28/2018 3:35pm Edited Date/Time 5/28/2018 3:37pm
AJ565 wrote:
This is the jetting I had with C12 in the mid 60*'s MJ 470 PJ 32.5 Slide 5.75 Needle 42-75 Clip 4th position Needle jet s-4...
MJ 470
PJ 32.5
Slide 5.75
Needle 42-75
Clip 4th position
Needle jet s-4
AS 2.0
Elevation 560'

I tried this setup today and it was REALLY close. Here is where I ended up. I'm running 50/50 91 octane and VP C12 mixed at 60:1 with Bel Ray H1-R. It was about 80F today and the elevation is about 500ft.

MJ 470
PJ 32.5
Slide 5.75
Needle 42-75
Clip 3rd position
Needle jet s-4
AS 0.5

Generally the bike felt really good and I had very little inclination to mess with it other than to validate the settings. If anyone is going to try this setup in a similar environment I'd try a 480 main. Top end felt a little bit chained. I'd have tried it myself but I ended up running out of time. Happy day!

riv187
5/28/2018 5:12pm
Sdhuskyrider,,, Great I'll try that one next time I'm out! Our last race of season was 2 weeks ago and I lent my 17 TC250 to a friend for the day. His bike CR139 was down for the day. He never rode i the TC250 before. He signed up 50+C, his class,,,fired it up,,made a couple test spins around the pits and couple hits beside starting line... then pulled the holeshot and won me $25 coupon at the steak house!!! With AJs jetting he zapped around a tight twisty technical track never loading up. We're at 200-300ft,,was 70s and humid. 60-1 sunuco 110 and Klotz snowmobile oil (jaso rated). I normally run red spring 2 turns in,,,but went to yellow 3 turns in to tame the instant hit down for him. My bike is stock except for reeds and holes in airbox. I also use a Denso plug,,,w24 shorty. I think they burn a little cleaner with the 'hot-U' tip. Cheaper than the NGK too.
sandman768
5/29/2018 6:11am
UPSman334 wrote:
anyone use castor 927??
I used to use the 927, appears to gum up the powervalves a little faster than the newer synthetic oils. Also have seen the 927 separate from some types of fuels....I think old air cooled engines= castor oil.... Newer powervalved engines= newer synthetic oils....
riv187
5/29/2018 6:22am Edited Date/Time 5/29/2018 6:23am
The new Huskies call for JASO rated oil. Thats a japanese rating system. I've for years used Pennzoil Synthetic Marine lube found at Walmart and others,,,because I lived near the plant and knew they produced and shipped to other companies for repackaging at higher prices. When I got the Husky,,I called Pennzoil and they wheren't JASO rated,,,so I found this list attached and chose the KLOTZ techniplate as it's cheaper per gallon and I liked Klotz in past. I don't know the age of list and if every single one on it is available or ones not on it...I just went with KLOTZ for the cost and past experiance and it's JASO.
http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/2T_EV_LIST.pdf
AJ565
5/29/2018 6:28am
Sdhuskyrider, glad that jetting worked out for you. I was real happy with it when I ran C12. I've been running T2 (its mixed 40:1) and u4.4 (mixed at 44:1) and its crazy how much power it picked up, I did have to richen up the main and pilot though (490 and 37.5). If you're ever feeling like a test is in order I wouldn't mind some validation to my findings on that one.
AJ565
5/29/2018 6:32am
riv187 wrote:
Sdhuskyrider,,, Great I'll try that one next time I'm out! Our last race of season was 2 weeks ago and I lent my 17 TC250 to...
Sdhuskyrider,,, Great I'll try that one next time I'm out! Our last race of season was 2 weeks ago and I lent my 17 TC250 to a friend for the day. His bike CR139 was down for the day. He never rode i the TC250 before. He signed up 50+C, his class,,,fired it up,,made a couple test spins around the pits and couple hits beside starting line... then pulled the holeshot and won me $25 coupon at the steak house!!! With AJs jetting he zapped around a tight twisty technical track never loading up. We're at 200-300ft,,was 70s and humid. 60-1 sunuco 110 and Klotz snowmobile oil (jaso rated). I normally run red spring 2 turns in,,,but went to yellow 3 turns in to tame the instant hit down for him. My bike is stock except for reeds and holes in airbox. I also use a Denso plug,,,w24 shorty. I think they burn a little cleaner with the 'hot-U' tip. Cheaper than the NGK too.
Credit is due to digger on the jetting. Without him pointing us in the direction he did I think we'd still be chasing our tails. I know my bike runs super crisp and has zero hesitation, I love it.

Do you like the red spring better than the stock? I'm running the stock spring 1 3/4 turns in and the bike is amazing.
sdhuskyrider
5/29/2018 8:27am
riv187 wrote:
Sdhuskyrider,,, Great I'll try that one next time I'm out! Our last race of season was 2 weeks ago and I lent my 17 TC250 to...
Yea I was lugging it around a lot and didn't experience any loading up either. I am currently running the yellow spring at 2.5 turns in from all the way out. I plan to swap to the red spring and get a flywheel weight.
sdhuskyrider
5/29/2018 9:02am Edited Date/Time 5/29/2018 9:02am
AJ565 wrote:
Sdhuskyrider, glad that jetting worked out for you. I was real happy with it when I ran C12. I've been running T2 (its mixed 40:1) and...
Sdhuskyrider, glad that jetting worked out for you. I was real happy with it when I ran C12. I've been running T2 (its mixed 40:1) and u4.4 (mixed at 44:1) and its crazy how much power it picked up, I did have to richen up the main and pilot though (490 and 37.5). If you're ever feeling like a test is in order I wouldn't mind some validation to my findings on that one.
I'm going to try both VPR and U4.4. I think the C12 I am running now is probably a bit too cold. I'm thinking plug color would be perfect with either of those fuels and the associated jetting changes required.
riv187
5/29/2018 10:41am
riv187 wrote:
AJ565 wrote:
Credit is due to digger on the jetting. Without him pointing us in the direction he did I think we'd still be chasing our tails. I...
Credit is due to digger on the jetting. Without him pointing us in the direction he did I think we'd still be chasing our tails. I know my bike runs super crisp and has zero hesitation, I love it.

Do you like the red spring better than the stock? I'm running the stock spring 1 3/4 turns in and the bike is amazing.
The red spring at 2 in is quick! I went to that setup when I was heading to race a tight arenacross style track. The idea was so I could keep with the 4 strokes squirting out of 180* hair pin corners. Yes it works for that. I think for sandy tracks or momentum ones the yellow 2-3 in would be fine. The red spring setup does take respect...I did some skyshots that day at arenacoss track because it did hit so quick and take me off guard. I guess it's skill and taste. I'm a old 125 rider,,,but the TC250 is too powerful to ride WFO on tight stuff so I used red spring to make it more like my old open CR480 power
sdhuskyrider
5/30/2018 8:57am
Has anyone had to replace spokes yet? I'm already almost out of adjustment on mine. I don't want to replace the entire wheel sets but I am considering it.
AJ565
5/30/2018 9:05am
Has anyone had to replace spokes yet? I'm already almost out of adjustment on mine. I don't want to replace the entire wheel sets but I...
Has anyone had to replace spokes yet? I'm already almost out of adjustment on mine. I don't want to replace the entire wheel sets but I am considering it.
I haven't even had to adjust mine let alone run out of thread on them.
5/30/2018 5:55pm
I ended up buying a 2018 TC250. My stock jetting seems to be pretty solid when mixed at 60:1. I tried 50:1 on Saturday and it just didn't seem right. Thankfully that tank was quite small so I filled it with 60:1 and it instantly ran better/normal. I am not a fast rider but trying to be a smooth rider. I am using Bel Ray mix.
sdhuskyrider
5/31/2018 7:59am
I ended up buying a 2018 TC250. My stock jetting seems to be pretty solid when mixed at 60:1. I tried 50:1 on Saturday and it...
I ended up buying a 2018 TC250. My stock jetting seems to be pretty solid when mixed at 60:1. I tried 50:1 on Saturday and it just didn't seem right. Thankfully that tank was quite small so I filled it with 60:1 and it instantly ran better/normal. I am not a fast rider but trying to be a smooth rider. I am using Bel Ray mix.
Lucky fella! I'm guessing you are in a colder climate?
AJK
5/31/2018 11:03pm
Has anyone had to replace spokes yet? I'm already almost out of adjustment on mine. I don't want to replace the entire wheel sets but I...
I'm about to replace all the rear wheel spokes on my 2018 250 SX because it started breaking spokes just about every other lap. Before this happened I had to tighten spokes maybe a dozen times, mainly the ones next to the rim lock. The bike has 58 hours on it now and I'm pretty bummed that the wheel didn't last longer. I'm going to replace the rim also because it has some dents, nothing major but I want a fresh start.

As for the jetting I'm happy with the current setup and got nothing to complain:
- PC 304 silencer
- Squish tightened from stock 1,5mm to 1,2mm
- Jetting stock except 37.5 pilot and 460 main
- Red power valve spring 1 1/4 turns in

Post a reply to: 17' TC250 Jetting Help

The Latest