'17 250SX stiff throttle pull

riv187
10/10/2018 1:44pm
LumpDog841 wrote:
Thanks for the reminder gents because of this thread popping up again this reminded me that the dealer still has my f-up carb awaiting a KTM...
Thanks for the reminder gents because of this thread popping up again this reminded me that the dealer still has my f-up carb awaiting a KTM rep to look at it. Though they've had it for a year soooooooo, not holding my breath.
If you ever get the junk carb back,,Id be interested in buying it for parts.
erik_94COBRA
10/10/2018 9:53pm
Installed a throttle and cable from an older Honda CR250 on mine as a test (had parts in shop already). Throttle pull is much better. Haven't had it on track yet, though.

For me, I started noticing arm pump after a short time where I didn't have it before. This was due to having to squeeze the grip harder in order to twist the throttle.
LumpDog841
10/11/2018 4:36am
riv187 wrote:
If you ever get the junk carb back,,Id be interested in buying it for parts.
I have a non junk mikuni that I used for 3 weeks (I bought a brand new carb), that'll I'll sell you. Shoot me a PM if interested.
LumpDog841
10/11/2018 4:38am
Installed a throttle and cable from an older Honda CR250 on mine as a test (had parts in shop already). Throttle pull is much better. Haven't...
Installed a throttle and cable from an older Honda CR250 on mine as a test (had parts in shop already). Throttle pull is much better. Haven't had it on track yet, though.

For me, I started noticing arm pump after a short time where I didn't have it before. This was due to having to squeeze the grip harder in order to twist the throttle.
That's awesome to hear. I had issues with arm pump also. It was a nice relief when I stopped having to put my entire upper body into the throttle.

The Shop

Keating
10/12/2018 1:23pm
Installed a throttle and cable from an older Honda CR250 on mine as a test (had parts in shop already). Throttle pull is much better. Haven't...

So, everything was a good fit??

Did you get to ride it yet??
Keating
10/12/2018 2:14pm

LumpDog841 wrote:
That's awesome to hear. I had issues with arm pump also. It was a nice relief when I stopped having to put my entire upper body...
That's awesome to hear. I had issues with arm pump also. It was a nice relief when I stopped having to put my entire upper body into the throttle.
Sometimes you gotta put your whole body into it..... Just sayin'!
erik_94COBRA
10/16/2018 6:56pm

Keating wrote:

Everything did fit good. Housing, throttle tube, and cable were all from a 2003 Honda CR250. I also had to use the nipple on the top of the carb from an old Mikuni carb. The new cable has a crimped on fitting which doesn't come apart (not for me anyway). I ruined mine trying to pull it out.

The pull is definitely easier, but more importantly didn't change over 1.5 hrs of riding. I also noticed I was gripping harder than needed many times. Easy to correct now since I don't need a kung-fu grip to tisr theottle.

One other note is that the ODI lock on grip throttle tube doesn't seem to be as smooth as the Domino/oem style on initial fiddling. Will review again as their installation as much better than glue/wire/etc.
ThatOneKid
10/18/2018 8:58am

Keating wrote:

Everything did fit good. Housing, throttle tube, and cable were all from a 2003 Honda CR250. I also had to use the nipple on the top...
Everything did fit good. Housing, throttle tube, and cable were all from a 2003 Honda CR250. I also had to use the nipple on the top of the carb from an old Mikuni carb. The new cable has a crimped on fitting which doesn't come apart (not for me anyway). I ruined mine trying to pull it out.

The pull is definitely easier, but more importantly didn't change over 1.5 hrs of riding. I also noticed I was gripping harder than needed many times. Easy to correct now since I don't need a kung-fu grip to tisr theottle.

One other note is that the ODI lock on grip throttle tube doesn't seem to be as smooth as the Domino/oem style on initial fiddling. Will review again as their installation as much better than glue/wire/etc.
I had a similar issue with my 17 150SX and I went with the G2 Domino replacement throttle assembly. It is a full kit that includes a cable that works with the stock carb. My throttle pull got bad early this year and since I went to the domino style tube haven't had any issues. I initially used an ODI grip as well which was a good improvement, and in the last month replaced that with a standard throttle tube and grip, which was even better.

I went with the longer throttle cable as well so you can route it between the bars and number plate.

https://www.g2ergo.com/store/hr-cross-throttle-assembly-ktmhuskybeta/

Duncster316
Fantasy
1795th
10/25/2018 4:53pm
Just compared my throttle pull to my new bike, way stiffer. Didnt even notice before. So are we saying that if I want to go with new parts, putting the stock throttle back on fixes the issue?
BR8ES
10/25/2018 5:19pm
By stock, you 16 and below right? I used the old Domino housing and the long Motion Pro cable. Some are just using the KTM cable.
Duncster316
Fantasy
1795th
10/25/2018 5:26pm
I have a 2017 tc250, replaced the throttle with a g2 quick turn unit almost right away. Throttle pull is definately stiff. Still have the oem 4 stroke style throttle. Not sure what other options are available and have a light, smooth pull.
CSAR FE
10/25/2018 5:34pm
I put a domino throttle assembly on mine with the G2 aluminum throttle tube. It is butter smooth. I think the other piece of the puzzle is the slide spring, which you can't really do anything about. The throttle pull on my FX450 is stupid easy, and smooth very smooth.
luke11
Fantasy
2280th
11/3/2022 12:50pm
Just reviving this thread as I’ve got 2021 tc250 with a super heavy pull however it already has the little throttle pulley wheel in the housing. Anyone got a solution for these newer bike? Reading this thread I’m going to try and reroute the cable to begin with.
Schlava
11/3/2022 1:52pm
If you order the oem throttle and cable from a 16 ktm it's a great setup and significantly lighter.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
11/3/2022 4:33pm
Schlava wrote:
If you order the oem throttle and cable from a 16 ktm it's a great setup and significantly lighter.
That was the fix for the 2017-2020 bikes which did not have a pulley in the housing from stock. in 2021 they started putting a pulley in the housing.

Make sure your housing and tube are all clean and not dragging on the handlebar. If the pull is still too stiff, you can cut a few coils off the carb spring and stretch it a little longer. Make sure you know what you are doing and don't create a safety hazard doing this.
luke11
Fantasy
2280th
11/4/2022 4:00am
Schlava wrote:
FGR01 wrote:
That was the fix for the 2017-2020 bikes which did not have a pulley in the housing from stock. in 2021 they started putting a pulley...
That was the fix for the 2017-2020 bikes which did not have a pulley in the housing from stock. in 2021 they started putting a pulley in the housing.

Make sure your housing and tube are all clean and not dragging on the handlebar. If the pull is still too stiff, you can cut a few coils off the carb spring and stretch it a little longer. Make sure you know what you are doing and don't create a safety hazard doing this.
Yea don’t think I’ll be fucking about with modding the spring in the carb. If all else fails I’ll try and find a lighter spring to replace the stock.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
11/4/2022 8:39am
Schlava wrote:
FGR01 wrote:
That was the fix for the 2017-2020 bikes which did not have a pulley in the housing from stock. in 2021 they started putting a pulley...

luke11 wrote:
Yea don’t think I’ll be fucking about with modding the spring in the carb. If all else fails I’ll try and find a lighter spring to...
Yea don’t think I’ll be fucking about with modding the spring in the carb. If all else fails I’ll try and find a lighter spring to replace the stock.
My buddy, who absolutely hates a stiff throttle, has been doing this to every Mikuni carb'd bike he has had since the 90's, YZ125's, etc. It's very simple and effective. But I concur with you making your own assessment.
luke11
Fantasy
2280th
11/4/2022 4:03pm
FGR01 wrote:

luke11 wrote:
Yea don’t think I’ll be fucking about with modding the spring in the carb. If all else fails I’ll try and find a lighter spring to...
FGR01 wrote:
My buddy, who absolutely hates a stiff throttle, has been doing this to every Mikuni carb'd bike he has had since the 90's, YZ125's, etc. It's...
My buddy, who absolutely hates a stiff throttle, has been doing this to every Mikuni carb'd bike he has had since the 90's, YZ125's, etc. It's very simple and effective. But I concur with you making your own assessment.
Worst case I’ll have a look into it and see if I have the bollocks to do it!
11/4/2022 4:30pm
Check routing if the cable
Is pinched anywhere it will cause drag, lube the cable, as stated make sure the throttle tube isn’t against the end of the bar.
DrewJett747
8/8/2023 6:19am

I have a 21 ktm 250sx and the throttle pull has gotten really stiff in the last 20 hours or so. I currently have 65 hours on the bike, cable & throttle housing. I've lubed the cable and cleaned the housing multiple times and have replaced the tube twice; I've also checked the handlebars for wear. Nothing has resolved this issue. 

I'm having a hard time determining my next steps. A new KTM throttle cable is $80. The Domino throttle assembly is $40, or do i jump straight to the G2 throttle assemble for $140? 

Schlava
8/8/2023 6:54am
I have a 21 ktm 250sx and the throttle pull has gotten really stiff in the last 20 hours or so. I currently have 65 hours...

I have a 21 ktm 250sx and the throttle pull has gotten really stiff in the last 20 hours or so. I currently have 65 hours on the bike, cable & throttle housing. I've lubed the cable and cleaned the housing multiple times and have replaced the tube twice; I've also checked the handlebars for wear. Nothing has resolved this issue. 

I'm having a hard time determining my next steps. A new KTM throttle cable is $80. The Domino throttle assembly is $40, or do i jump straight to the G2 throttle assemble for $140? 

Rockymountain atv has stock 16 cable and throttle assembly for about $85.

8/8/2023 12:35pm

I went with the domino setup from the 16 and throttle cable on my 21 250sx. Much lighter pull than stock. I had the pwk on it all ready. So it wasn't the mikuni which was prefect shape or a misrouted cable. 

The stock throttle housing sucks. 

sandman768
8/8/2023 12:42pm

My 18 had a really stiff pull, bike had around 75hrs I think, after trying everything but cutting the slide spring, I replaced the cable…. And that was it… stock cable felt ok pulling on it but when I replaced it is felt smooth & easy again. 

Post a reply to: '17 250SX stiff throttle pull

The Latest