16 ktm 250f kinked gas line fix??

ktm-5
4/8/2018 4:21pm Edited Date/Time 12/30/2020 2:04pm
Decided to change the in tank fuel filters and found out my fuel line is kinked. So what is the fix for this?

Weird thing is bike seemed to run fine
|
kb228
4/8/2018 5:04pm
Id try to use a heat gun and unkink it
Paw Paw 271
4/8/2018 5:28pm Edited Date/Time 4/8/2018 5:49pm
As I recall there is a repair kit just for this as the line was too long from the factory. Check with your dealer or the aftermarkets for this kit. It was a common issue for those bikes. There may have been a factory recall on this also.

Paw Paw
ktm-5
4/8/2018 7:38pm
As I recall there is a repair kit just for this as the line was too long from the factory. Check with your dealer or the...
As I recall there is a repair kit just for this as the line was too long from the factory. Check with your dealer or the aftermarkets for this kit. It was a common issue for those bikes. There may have been a factory recall on this also.

Paw Paw
OK thank u I'll call my local dealer tomorrow
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
4/8/2018 10:18pm
As I recall there is a repair kit just for this as the line was too long from the factory. Check with your dealer or the...

Paw Paw
ktm-5 wrote:
The fixed fuel pump I got actually has a longer hose believe it or not. They said the long hose gave it more room to bend instead of just kinking. I donno, still doesn’t make sense to me... hahaha

Mine original pump hose was kinked but worked fine as well, I swapped it out to be safe. Kinda a sketchy ya know!

The Shop

ktm-5
4/9/2018 12:15pm
OK so I called my dealer and he said only fix was to buy a whole new fuel pump so any ideas where I can go and get this figured out?
ktm-5
4/9/2018 12:49pm
Actually is there any reason not to just get a rubber gas line and use that?
kb228
4/9/2018 1:04pm
ktm-5 wrote:
Actually is there any reason not to just get a rubber gas line and use that?
Nope.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
4/9/2018 1:16pm

Paw Paw
ktm-5 wrote:
The fixed fuel pump I got actually has a longer hose believe it or not. They said the long hose gave it more room to bend...
The fixed fuel pump I got actually has a longer hose believe it or not. They said the long hose gave it more room to bend instead of just kinking. I donno, still doesn’t make sense to me... hahaha

Mine original pump hose was kinked but worked fine as well, I swapped it out to be safe. Kinda a sketchy ya know!
Maybe I retract my statement. I found a photo and maybe the unkinked one is shorter?

The only downside of doing it yourself is making sure the hose is clamped and won’t ever come loose. Maybe use the same type of hose clamps as the factory?
ktm-5
4/9/2018 2:11pm Edited Date/Time 4/9/2018 2:12pm
I got some gas line and Im going to use the oem clamp that came with the filter and I think the hose will stay put to the other side that it connects to but just to make sure I'm going to use some grip safety wire to help hold it
ob
4/10/2018 7:40am
There should be a recal for that. Call the dealer or ktm with your vin.
ktm-5
4/10/2018 12:27pm
ob wrote:
There should be a recal for that. Call the dealer or ktm with your vin.
I'll check into that also, thanks
captmoto
4/10/2018 1:49pm
Is there a symptom that points to the fuel line being kinked like that? Hard start, sputtering?
ktm-5
4/10/2018 1:52pm
Some have had symptoms but I didn't, I was just in the process of changing my in tank filters
ktm-5
4/15/2018 11:03pm
I think I got it fixed

lumpy790
4/27/2018 3:49pm
Remember I make colored carburetor vent & gas line hoses that are flexible. Recently I have been working on some hoses for auto racing and resourcing to make the cars fuel lines.

Did you test the line you used by soaking an end of a hose in a cup of gas for several hours to see how it reacts when submerged 100%?

I personally would not trust that PU hose submerged inside fuel in my bike. PU is ok under atmospheric pressure as a fuel line but putting it under constant PSI submerged and its not going to last. Nylon is a better hose material that works better with gasoline but it is much harder And does not flex as much.
ktm-5
4/27/2018 4:23pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2018 4:27pm
No I didn't test it. I just assumed the inside was constantly in it all of it would be good. I appreciate the info it's something I'll check into, hopefully it makes through the weekend at least. ...lol. or should I swap tanks with the 450 till i get it fixed? Do you make the hose I need to fix this?
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
4/27/2018 7:46pm
ktm-5 wrote:
No I didn't test it. I just assumed the inside was constantly in it all of it would be good. I appreciate the info it's something...
No I didn't test it. I just assumed the inside was constantly in it all of it would be good. I appreciate the info it's something I'll check into, hopefully it makes through the weekend at least. ...lol. or should I swap tanks with the 450 till i get it fixed? Do you make the hose I need to fix this?
I’m sure your good for the weekend or a few weeks. But maybe swap it out with a fuel line meant for submerged just to be safe.

I just did a quick search and there are different lines for inside the fuel tank.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/abt-cfd402?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-go…
ktm-5
4/28/2018 4:30am
OK thank u for that
lumpy790
4/28/2018 6:28am
ktm-5 wrote:
No I didn't test it. I just assumed the inside was constantly in it all of it would be good. I appreciate the info it's something...
I’m sure your good for the weekend or a few weeks. But maybe swap it out with a fuel line meant for submerged just to be...
I’m sure your good for the weekend or a few weeks. But maybe swap it out with a fuel line meant for submerged just to be safe.

I just did a quick search and there are different lines for inside the fuel tank.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/abt-cfd402?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-go…
Good find!
That looks like a good product match as long as the ID is 5/16 which is the std carb fuel hose size.
Byron909
5/1/2018 5:51am
That poly line wont work. You need a fuel line that is for submersible applications, as well as for handling pressure. The poly line will break apart soon.
My brand new 450 had its fuel pump outlet line kinked more or less like yours.
I removed the whole assembly, from pump to regulator, replaced with submersible line, on outside threw out the restrictive quick connect/ weedeater filter, installed new line/ golan filter between tank/ injector.
I put a fuel cap sock in tank.
So as fuel is poured in, the strainer gets anything big. Still have the pump inlet strainer. Nothing from pump outlet until the golan on outside of bike. I check the golan every other oil change. Its always clean for most part.
Simple maintenance. And never any fuel problems, or expensive crap filters to replace.
Byron909
5/1/2018 5:55am
Oh, forgot.
Submersible line you need is gates 27093. It can handle pressure, but is made to be in liquid.
I use injection style band clamps rather than worm gear clamps.
My bike has about 50 hrs on the above, no troubles. Have helped some guys out with same setup with double that, all is as nice as day it was put in, and no issues with fuel flow or trash.
ktm-5
5/1/2018 1:11pm
Yup I pulled the fuel pump out and it will not work, it still had a small kink in it, I definitely need a flexible line meant to be submerged
ktm-5
5/1/2018 1:16pm
Byron909 wrote:
That poly line wont work. You need a fuel line that is for submersible applications, as well as for handling pressure. The poly line will break...
That poly line wont work. You need a fuel line that is for submersible applications, as well as for handling pressure. The poly line will break apart soon.
I removed the whole assembly, from pump to regulator, replaced with submersible line, on outside threw out the restrictive quick connect/ weedeater filter, installed new line/ golan filter between tank/ injector.
So as fuel is poured in, the strainer gets anything big. Still have the pump inlet strainer. Nothing from pump outlet until the golan on outside of bike. I check the golan every other oil change. Its always clean for most part.
Simple maintenance. And never any fuel problems, or expensive crap filters to replace.
Do you have any pics? How long of a hose did you use? The hose I used was 2.5in long and still had kinked, so I either need it to be shorter yet or an actual flexible line
ktm-5
5/1/2018 1:18pm
lumpy790 wrote:
Remember I make colored carburetor vent & gas line hoses that are flexible. Recently I have been working on some hoses for auto racing and resourcing...
Remember I make colored carburetor vent & gas line hoses that are flexible. Recently I have been working on some hoses for auto racing and resourcing to make the cars fuel lines.

Did you test the line you used by soaking an end of a hose in a cup of gas for several hours to see how it reacts when submerged 100%?

I personally would not trust that PU hose submerged inside fuel in my bike. PU is ok under atmospheric pressure as a fuel line but putting it under constant PSI submerged and its not going to last. Nylon is a better hose material that works better with gasoline but it is much harder And does not flex as much.
Do you make a flexible hose that will fix this?
Byron909
5/1/2018 1:29pm
Byron909 wrote:
That poly line wont work. You need a fuel line that is for submersible applications, as well as for handling pressure. The poly line will break...
ktm-5 wrote:
Do you have any pics? How long of a hose did you use? The hose I used was 2.5in long and still had kinked, so I...
Do you have any pics? How long of a hose did you use? The hose I used was 2.5in long and still had kinked, so I either need it to be shorter yet or an actual flexible line
Found some photos of when i did this
First two more or less shows kink. Its a little worse when installed.

Go to an oriley auto parts. They sell gates products. You need gates 27093.
Use fuel injection style band clamps. Not worm gear.
ktm-5
5/1/2018 1:35pm
Thank you for that. It seems like the filter is causing the issue of the kink
Byron909
5/1/2018 2:10pm
Yeah. That plastic filter has no business being on the pressure side of the system. Ive taken a few of those out that had been there a while, and the housing was cracked.
But, in stock trim, think of the in tank as a prefilter, it gets all the large stuff, inline on qd as the one that gets things clean. BUt really they are both junk. And that qd is restrictive with out a filter even in it.
So what i do is put a sock on tank. That way it catches anything big. Still has strainer at pump inlet. Nothing between pump/ regulator, and on outside of bike i put a golan brand 5/16 barb filter inline between tank outlet and injector. Easy maintenance and and better filtration.
Simple, no restriction from the qd, no plastic filter in tank.
ktm-5
5/1/2018 4:59pm
I just got off of the phone with ktm and of course they said only fix was buy new pump but I don't wanna go that route when all I need is a hose. So if I eliminate the inline filter in the tank and run a straight hose do I need to put an inline filter on the outside fuel line or is the little one good enough? I just ordered 2 tank socks for each bike so I will be using a tank sock. I appreciate all of the help and tips
Byron909
5/1/2018 6:06pm
BUy a golan 70-312g for the outside. You need a better filter than the stock one in the qd.
That is if you remove the in tank
ktm-5
5/1/2018 6:13pm
Byron909 wrote:
BUy a golan 70-312g for the outside. You need a better filter than the stock one in the qd. That is if you remove the in...
BUy a golan 70-312g for the outside. You need a better filter than the stock one in the qd.
That is if you remove the in tank
Is this available at auto store?

Post a reply to: 16 ktm 250f kinked gas line fix??

The Latest