16 Showa SFF TAC Fork

bdavis435
Edited Date/Time 5/1/2018 7:18pm

I was wondering if anyone has experienced the problem I am having with mine. They hold themselves up in the stroke well in low speed conditions such as braking hard on corner entry but they blow through the stroke and bottom hard on small high speed impacts when they shouldn't be - my wrists are throbbing after riding the bike. I have gone stiffer on the compression clicker and added up to 18psi to the outer chamber which seemed to help but the fork became harsh and I experienced a loss in traction. What I have found so far is that adding 10 lbs. to the inner chamber has allowed me to run a softer compression setting without sacrificing performance. This has helped but it still isn't where I want it. I'm not sure that adding pressure to the inner chamber is the right route since it is essentially my "spring rate" but it is definitely helping. The forks have been re-valved for 195 lbs B rider and they have me at 145 inner 9 outer 205 bal. Currently I'm running 155 inner 18 outer and 205 bal. All I want to know is if anyone else has experienced this and has any input.
|
AHMFS_412
1/9/2017 12:10pm
Try removing some pressure from the balance chamber.
TSCHAM101
1/9/2017 3:55pm Edited Date/Time 1/9/2017 3:56pm
I would definitely take some out of the balance if it were me.. you will lose some of the plushness initially but you can slowing adjust that down to find a happy medium.. mine was a nightmare at first too.. didnt understand what to do.. but playing with the balance makes the biggest difference in changes.

also im fascinated by the pressure you have in the inner of 145.. (we probably use different people but i run mine at 185-7-190 but i may go up in the balance chamber the next time i ride and see how that feels. )
JH911
1/9/2017 10:52pm
Definitely depends on the tuner, but that seems way too little in the inner chamber. You should be in the 190 range. Showa has an app for the TAC fork that you can download. Enter you bike and your weight and it gives you some good base settings to play with. You can also manipulate each one to see how it affects the fork through the travel.
Radfonz
1/10/2017 4:05am
Needs more fluid in the inner chamber. Stock is 50ml. I run 100ml and I'm 220lb. Fixed the shit out of my fork. For average weight and speed you should try 75ml of fluid in the inner air chamber and run 174psi inner, 12.5psi outer and 203psi balance

The Shop

RussB
Fantasy
986th
1/10/2017 8:41am
RMZ or KXF?
155 IC for 195lb rider seems low and 205 BC is super high. Isn't this set up making your forks run a lot of sag? Your front end is likely dropped in the stroke.
For comparison I'm running 185 IC to 168 BC with 0 outer chamber in my RMZ450, I'm 190lb B rider as well.
I have never liked the way the forks work with a balance chamber pressure that is higher than the inner chamber pressure, but then as previously mentioned it really depends how it has been valved.

Trial and error is the key to setting these up, it takes time but try everything and document it. You will find a good setting soon enough
bdavis435
1/10/2017 9:21am Edited Date/Time 1/25/2017 5:05am
I have heard that Pro Circuit suggests running equal pressures between the IC and BC. My forks are at FC for service right now and I've explained everything to them so we will see what they say.

@RussB- its a KXF
@lips395
1/11/2017 12:41am
Radfonz wrote:
Needs more fluid in the inner chamber. Stock is 50ml. I run 100ml and I'm 220lb. Fixed the shit out of my fork. For average weight...
Needs more fluid in the inner chamber. Stock is 50ml. I run 100ml and I'm 220lb. Fixed the shit out of my fork. For average weight and speed you should try 75ml of fluid in the inner air chamber and run 174psi inner, 12.5psi outer and 203psi balance
bit hard to take you serious when you look like a fucken clown
gristle568
1/11/2017 5:46pm
I have race tech revalve in my 17 kx and I'm running 175 inner,6 outer, and 173 balance. I weigh 250 lbs and I'm very happy with how they work. if the track starts getting rough I usually bump up the balance a couple psi and it makes it plusher.
bdavis435
1/11/2017 8:02pm
gristle568 wrote:
I have race tech revalve in my 17 kx and I'm running 175 inner,6 outer, and 173 balance. I weigh 250 lbs and I'm very happy...
I have race tech revalve in my 17 kx and I'm running 175 inner,6 outer, and 173 balance. I weigh 250 lbs and I'm very happy with how they work. if the track starts getting rough I usually bump up the balance a couple psi and it makes it plusher.
Hmm, that's interesting. Race tech seems to be on the same page as pro circuit suggesting close to or equal pressures IC & BC.. I would think that the inner chamber is your "spring rate" and the balance is the "preload" but I guess with air forks you can't really relate them to spring forks (which might be my problem). I'll have to spend more time on the bike with less air in the balance chamber and see how I feel. It could be in my head that it makes my front end feel loose.
datkin128
1/13/2017 2:06pm
bdavis435 wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has experienced the problem I am having with mine. They hold themselves up in the stroke well in low speed conditions...

I was wondering if anyone has experienced the problem I am having with mine. They hold themselves up in the stroke well in low speed conditions such as braking hard on corner entry but they blow through the stroke and bottom hard on small high speed impacts when they shouldn't be - my wrists are throbbing after riding the bike. I have gone stiffer on the compression clicker and added up to 18psi to the outer chamber which seemed to help but the fork became harsh and I experienced a loss in traction. What I have found so far is that adding 10 lbs. to the inner chamber has allowed me to run a softer compression setting without sacrificing performance. This has helped but it still isn't where I want it. I'm not sure that adding pressure to the inner chamber is the right route since it is essentially my "spring rate" but it is definitely helping. The forks have been re-valved for 195 lbs B rider and they have me at 145 inner 9 outer 205 bal. Currently I'm running 155 inner 18 outer and 205 bal. All I want to know is if anyone else has experienced this and has any input.
I had my forks on my 16 KX 450 revalved by FC and my pressures are way down from stock. I think close to yours (something like 140s or 150s for inner chamber and I think around 203 outer (it's winter and I'm not riding right now Smile

They take the big hits way better with the revalve....
crobargreg
1/24/2017 12:59pm Edited Date/Time 1/24/2017 1:04pm
bdavis435 wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has experienced the problem I am having with mine. They hold themselves up in the stroke well in low speed conditions...

Inner pressure seems low. Im 170 without gear and i run between 174-178 inner 7 lbs outer 190-195 balance. I would go up to 180 -185 inner 7 outer. 200-205 balance. Run mxa dialed in clicker settings. Google for video on you tube or article. If bottoming you can increase the outer a little and decrease your blance pressure.
crobargreg
1/26/2017 9:40am Edited Date/Time 1/26/2017 11:44am
Yes i understand they revalved so you can run.lower pressures. Like on the 2017 kx450f. I had mx tech do the tac r set up on my fork with the skf glide kit and huck valve for bottoming. The glide kit helps with stiction. The fork has 4 air pressures. A seperate high pressure piston above the inner chamber that kicks in in the mid stroke. I like this set up. I works well.
bdavis435
1/26/2017 11:46am
crobargreg wrote:
Yes i understand they revalved so you can run.lower pressures. Like on the 2017 kx450f. I had mx tech do the tac r set up on...
Yes i understand they revalved so you can run.lower pressures. Like on the 2017 kx450f. I had mx tech do the tac r set up on my fork with the skf glide kit and huck valve for bottoming. The glide kit helps with stiction. The fork has 4 air pressures. A seperate high pressure piston above the inner chamber that kicks in in the mid stroke. I like this set up. I works well.
I saw that Huck valve.. It sounds like it has potential to work well. I'd be curious to try it myself. Did you notice much more plushness after having your susp. done? Mine is working pretty good it just isn't as plush as I imagined it would be (feels very close to stock). My buddy has a 2010 crf 450 suspension set up by FC for a 220 LBS B rider and it feels way softer than mine, front and rear.
crobargreg
1/26/2017 1:27pm Edited Date/Time 1/26/2017 1:28pm
crobargreg wrote:
Yes i understand they revalved so you can run.lower pressures. Like on the 2017 kx450f. I had mx tech do the tac r set up on...
bdavis435 wrote:
I saw that Huck valve.. It sounds like it has potential to work well. I'd be curious to try it myself. Did you notice much more...
I saw that Huck valve.. It sounds like it has potential to work well. I'd be curious to try it myself. Did you notice much more plushness after having your susp. done? Mine is working pretty good it just isn't as plush as I imagined it would be (feels very close to stock). My buddy has a 2010 crf 450 suspension set up by FC for a 220 LBS B rider and it feels way softer than mine, front and rear.
Yes it is plusher. It no longer has harshness in the mid stroke feels more progressive. I can also flat land without any problems. My only issue is when the track gets super rough and the breaking bumps are like bricks on the track. I get some feedback in the bars. Thats where a spring fork will always beat an air fork. I may be able to fix that a little by messing with my settings and pressures. Sag etc. One poster suggested lowering the balance. Which would make it stiffer and i can skip over the bumps rather than plow through them with softer settings.
FFDan
4/28/2018 8:54am
I am a B/C vet rider 210lbs. 2017 KX450. Not ripping off huge doubles and triples. Hell I roll some of the bigger more challenging jumps, gotta a job and family to support. Anyway, I ran 145 IC 10 OC 145 balance, when I first got the bike on the track. I was breaking in the engine and was getting used to this bike, 1st 4 stroke Ive ridden. Since then I bumped up the pressures to 155 IC 15 OC and 165 balance. Pretty happy with those settings. I ride a clay track that gets rough quickly, so the front end feels great over chops ruts, and sticks nice in the corners. I do like the the air forks after getting used to them and playing with the pressures. When I bought the bike I swear the dealership confused the IC and OC chamber, the valves are opposite on the 2017 from the 2016. The pressures were opposite of what the suggested settings were. No damage to the fork but I called and they said they don't touch the air forks. Now I just adjust compression and rebound on the L fork.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
4/29/2018 8:47am
I had Factory Connection revalve my 16 KX450F sff tac and I'm really happy with it. I'm a 240 lb B rider, and the air pressure was much lower than stock. I actually thought it wouldn't work because it's so low until I rode it. I'm at 155 inner, 10 outer, 217 balance.

I'm probably going to do a spring conversion at some point just because it's kind of pain to maintain air pressure over a day. Performance of the fork is way better than stock, I highly recommend having them for a revalve.
coastie44
4/29/2018 8:31pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2018 8:31pm
I did a spring conversion before I even rode my ‘17 KXF. Reading threads like this makes me even happier I did that. I set my clickers in a couple of sessions on the first day and other than a needing a few ccs of oil to control bottoming have never touched them again.

Love these Showa sff forks. Thanks TBT!
crobargreg
5/1/2018 6:12pm
Update. I ended up ditching the air internals on my fork and installing ohlins cartridges with spring conversion. Its basically a dual cartridge dual spring conversion for your air fork. I also put on a ttx flow shock. It wasnt cheap but worth it. All my future air fork bike will be running ohlins spring forks. No revalves necessary with ohlins just adjust the clickers. Ttx Shock run 1050 and carts and springs were 1150. So 2200 shipped included correct springs for your weight. I got a pretty decent deal from alex at superbike unlimited. Yes a street bike parts place. They sell more ohlins than anyone and hence the discount.
JBecker 72
5/1/2018 6:18pm Edited Date/Time 5/1/2018 6:22pm
Yeah I ditched my TAC forks for Kayaba spring and couldn’t be happier. Got that plush feel and excellent bottoming resistance back. I know some guys have had good results with the TAC, but I wasn’t a fan.

I have 2011 forks on my 2016 with FC valving and .50 springs with a MXTech revalved shock with low friction piston band and 5.7 spring. I’m a 190 pound Vet B rider.

crobargreg
5/1/2018 6:31pm
I had 2011 kybs on mine they were a little longer than the air forks and stuck up higher through the clamps. Had to run 2nd line to be on 1st line but they also worked great. They were enzo revalved with enzo technica perches

The second photo i have the ohlins conversion on the air fork.
JBecker 72
5/1/2018 6:40pm
You know, I didn’t even bother measuring the overall length. Might have to play around with them a little higher in the triples. I’m at the first line now. I’ve ridden it twice since I did the swap and my initial impressions have been very good. Still playing around with the clickers and finding my sweet spot with sag.
crobargreg
5/1/2018 7:17pm
JBecker 72 wrote:
You know, I didn’t even bother measuring the overall length. Might have to play around with them a little higher in the triples. I’m at the...
You know, I didn’t even bother measuring the overall length. Might have to play around with them a little higher in the triples. I’m at the first line now. I’ve ridden it twice since I did the swap and my initial impressions have been very good. Still playing around with the clickers and finding my sweet spot with sag.
Try the 2nd line on the fork and 105 on the sag. Let me know what you think.

Post a reply to: 16 Showa SFF TAC Fork

The Latest