14-18 YZ250F ingesting dirt

JBecker 72
Anyone else have this problem? My buddy has a 16 and an 18 and both suck dirt past the filter. He’s taken them completely apart, greased every joint, grease around the air filter base, and is using new Twin Air filters with No Toil oil. He also uses a wash plug when cleaning. Even when he got his new 18 with everything as it came from the factory, it was eating dirt.

You can take it apart, clean everything, grease it all, put a brand new filter in, ride it once, and dirt has made it past the filter. Head scratcher for sure. Anyone found a fix?
|
JBecker 72
4/9/2019 12:01pm
Try different oil. Never thought No Toil was all that good.
I’ve been using it for about 5 years and have never had dirt make it past the filter. Plus the stock filter with whatever Yamaha puts on there was doing it too. From reading around it seems like a common complaint on this model.

Definitely couldn’t hurt to try a different oil though just to rule it out.
mxracer666
4/9/2019 12:08pm
Get a Twin Air complete filter and cage kit. I t addresses this problem. Motocross Action mag has featurured in an issue in the past year ...
JBecker 72
4/9/2019 12:24pm
mxracer666 wrote:
Get a Twin Air complete filter and cage kit. I t addresses this problem. Motocross Action mag has featurured in an issue in the past year...
Get a Twin Air complete filter and cage kit. I t addresses this problem. Motocross Action mag has featurured in an issue in the past year ...
Yeah that’s looking like the best choice so far.

The Shop

fourfourone
4/9/2019 1:59pm
I get the no toil red spray. I coat the outside and inside completely and then work in by hand as well.

If dirt it pulling through the filter usually you will see it on the back side of the filter or see it where the filter seats against the intake. Every time I change my filter the inside of the filter looks brand new and where is seals to the intake is clean.
dmm698
4/9/2019 5:49pm
A buddies 18 was a pile o junk for this. Was looking at Barcias bike last year and they run deflectors at the intake scoops for outdoors Atleast.
njracer46
4/9/2019 6:14pm
I have a 17 250f. I bought a twin air filter because I use them for my 2 stroke. I was not a fan of it. I feel like the edges don’t tuck down enough and it doesn’t sit completely flat against the rim. I would take the filter out and find dirt clumps that got more then halfway past the lip. I went back to stock with the twin air oil. I’d give the stock filter a shot or some other brands.

Weird stuff happens, I was sucking dirt through my filter on my 2 stroke yz, replaced everything in the air box, different brand filters/oil. Finally just bought a new air box and the problem stopped. Good luck, I know it’s a frustrating problem
kb228
4/10/2019 10:21am
Try a twin air filter with a filter skin. No toil’s red spray is really really good. I dont think thats your issue. Your filter is too porous or youre leaking around the seal.

Also, didnt these reversed yz engines have issues with dirt in the airbox? Thought i heard that somewhere
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
4/11/2019 2:44am
JBecker 72 wrote:
Anyone else have this problem? My buddy has a 16 and an 18 and both suck dirt past the filter. He’s taken them completely apart, greased...
Anyone else have this problem? My buddy has a 16 and an 18 and both suck dirt past the filter. He’s taken them completely apart, greased every joint, grease around the air filter base, and is using new Twin Air filters with No Toil oil. He also uses a wash plug when cleaning. Even when he got his new 18 with everything as it came from the factory, it was eating dirt.

You can take it apart, clean everything, grease it all, put a brand new filter in, ride it once, and dirt has made it past the filter. Head scratcher for sure. Anyone found a fix?
Where is he saying the dirt is getting? On the backside of the filter or down in the intake box?
c0ncEpT
4/11/2019 6:00am
I only ever had a had a problem with dirt getting past the filter on my 2016 in the 50 hours I put on it once.

It was purely from poor filter maintenance when I 1st got the bike. I put a few rides on it and when I pulled the filter you could see where dirt was making its way through the filter on the back side.

I used DT1 and Twin Air. I liked the DT1 "mud" filter the best because the extra layer of foam seemed to keep them cleaner longer.

No matter what the air filter needs to be changed every 1-2 rides at a minimum. These bikes do take in a bunch of dirt in the airbox.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
4/11/2019 10:42am
DT1 makes an aluminum filter cage, they were used on the Factory Yamaha's and others during the 2010-2017 models. That cage and with their Superseal filters you aren't getting any dirt past the filter. I have this exact setup on my 2013 YZ450 and regardless of the dust level, my intake boot is always spotless.
Spudnut
4/12/2019 6:49am
I’m using no toil on a 19 450 with no problems of dirt getting past
JBecker 72
4/14/2019 2:54pm
JBecker 72 wrote:
Anyone else have this problem? My buddy has a 16 and an 18 and both suck dirt past the filter. He’s taken them completely apart, greased...

sgrimmxdad wrote:
Where is he saying the dirt is getting? On the backside of the filter or down in the intake box?
Not completely sure on that.

Thanks for all the tips though guys, I sent him a link to this thread and he is going to try some of the suggestions.
4csHATER
4/14/2019 3:00pm Edited Date/Time 4/14/2019 5:38pm
I had 6-8 new yz250f and 450fs over the passed years from 13-2018. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM SUCKED DIRT!!! Poor design by yamaha, and if on a budget not a great bike of choice, switched to KTM and havent had any issues. good luck. oh by the way i tried every brand of filter and filter oil lol
IceMan446
4/14/2019 4:50pm
Never had an issue on my 16.

I do see people having issues when taking the cover off and taking the filter out. If you don't get the hard cover GYTR sells so you can wash the airbox out when you wash your bike you will get dirt falling in the intake when taking the filter out.

I ran OEM and Twin Air with no toil oil and never had a problem. I replaced my air filters every 20 hours or so.
fourfourone
4/15/2019 5:34am
I checked my intake last night. Everything on my bike OEM and I usually run DT1 filters. I found a few small specs in the air box. nothing to be alarmed about. You have to be super careful when pulling the dirty filter off. I am almost positive that's how the few specs got in there.

You can believe it or not but all bikes will end up sucking in a bit of dust in its lifetime. That's why I prefer to keep the fire screen. Helps keep anything big out.

Post a reply to: 14-18 YZ250F ingesting dirt

The Latest