125sx dies when tilted slightly to the side! Why?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/3/2021 5:57 PM

I haven't owned a 125 since I was a kid, I bought a used 17' 125sx with 60 hrs, been trying to get the jetting sorted, used the recommended settings by Digger and upgraded the jet block gasket and its still dying on me when I tilt it, is this normal, it's like the RPM's drop when I tilt it left to right or evn when I put it on the stand running and the rear lifts up, I'd be worried if I lean the bike over in the air it would stall on me. Just doesn't seem right but maybe I'm clueless and its normal. Jetting changes aren't making a difference, I upgraded to S-4 needle jet, 42-74 ( maybe 43-74) needle, 500 main and 45 pilot. the 35 pilot would cause the idle to go very low like about to die then slowly rise again, going up on the main helped slightly then the 45 pilot cured that. I have 37.5 I haven't tried but have a feeling it's gonna be closer to 40 in the end possibly. ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated, I'm about to throw in the towel and get a Keihin.

|

5/3/2021 6:33 PM

I would check your float heights sounds like the engine may be starving. Also may sure all your electrical connections and grounds are solid

|

5/3/2021 7:13 PM

soggy wrote:

I would check your float heights sounds like the engine may be starving. Also may sure all your electrical connections and ...more

Thanks soggy, I forgot to mention I checked the float height and it seems like it's perfect, the tab is flat so it wasn't messed with ever but maybe I'll adjust it anyways to see if that helps. I didn't check grounds though, will do that , appreciate it!

|

5/3/2021 7:36 PM

I know the ktm four strokes have some sort of tip over sensor that kills the bike if it’s laid over too long(I think). Not sure if the smokers do as well but maybe look into that.

|

5/3/2021 8:29 PM

Did you do the #5 slide as well? It is a critical piece of Digger's jetting.

Something is weird having to use a 45 pilot. I am on 37.5 with no notch and I'm probably the richest in that whole thread.

The float needle and seat are easily replaceable. Maybe yours is sticky. I'd swap it just to be sure.

|

Powerband in every gear !

5/3/2021 9:40 PM

That sounds mechanical problem vs jetting problem.

FWIW 45 pilot seems big.

However, I used a 4 slide and raised the cutout slightly and it was great. When I bought the proper 5 slide it was lean so go figure

|

5/3/2021 9:41 PM

Maybe check the vent lines aren't blocked or pinched

|

5/4/2021 7:58 AM

FGR01 wrote:

Did you do the #5 slide as well? It is a critical piece of Digger's jetting.

Something is weird having to use a 45 pilot. I ...more

Thanks for the input, Yeah I did the large area of the slide but didnt cut the small 5/32" notch. I feel like it's two separate issues. I'm making progress on the jetting but the tilting and dying issue has remained the same. I'll try the new float needle to start and see if that helps, that seems logical. Thanks again

|

5/4/2021 7:59 AM

Bruce372 wrote:

Maybe check the vent lines aren't blocked or pinched

Good idea I'll blow them clean and check the routing! Thanks

|

5/4/2021 10:06 AM

something to check, i had a cr250 when i lleaned it to the left it died, with out the amount of swearing that was involved and the hours of my life i watsed ,
the flywheel was loose

|