07 CR250 cylinder/piston help

Hondas4Life3
1/24/2018 11:25am
I’m going to get one. I seen them before and put it off but now it’s m getting it. Along with a lot of other expensive...
I’m going to get one. I seen them before and put it off but now it’s m getting it. Along with a lot of other expensive things that weren’t planned.
They are tricky to put on. Make sure to use a lot of sealant because once you put it on your not going to get it apart again.
1/24/2018 12:11pm
I called Millennium Tech and it sounds like I’ll have around 370 into the cylinder when it’s all said and done. I also messaged Honda of Troy on eBay, they said they don’t have any right now but Honda is telling them early February. Choices choices.
1/24/2018 6:09pm
I called Millennium Tech and it sounds like I’ll have around 370 into the cylinder when it’s all said and done. I also messaged Honda of...
I called Millennium Tech and it sounds like I’ll have around 370 into the cylinder when it’s all said and done. I also messaged Honda of Troy on eBay, they said they don’t have any right now but Honda is telling them early February. Choices choices.
Personally, I would recommend the replating and having the cylinder matched to an “A” size piston, if Honda offers it. That way you get the longest life out of the cylinder and the best performance and reliablility. Plus I’m pretty sure Millenium has some sort of warranty; you won’t get that with an OEM cylinder.
r18b
1/24/2018 10:20pm
I called Millennium Tech and it sounds like I’ll have around 370 into the cylinder when it’s all said and done. I also messaged Honda of...
Personally, I would recommend the replating and having the cylinder matched to an “A” size piston, if Honda offers it. That way you get the longest...
Personally, I would recommend the replating and having the cylinder matched to an “A” size piston, if Honda offers it. That way you get the longest life out of the cylinder and the best performance and reliablility. Plus I’m pretty sure Millenium has some sort of warranty; you won’t get that with an OEM cylinder.
Honda doesn't offer that.. Only thing when people are doing a replating is that when they had a port job done to the cylinder and they don't want to do a new port job. But if you say millenium replating is better then and last longer then a new oem cylinder then ur nuts. Next ur gonna tell that a hot rod crankshaft is better then a oem crankshaft. Performance you get with a port job from Terry Varner.

stick with the oem and ya ride more then 200 hours on a cylinder with some decent oil and a vertex piston but in the end the choice is for (C)oal(R)egion250.

The Shop

1/25/2018 5:16am
Personally, I would recommend the replating and having the cylinder matched to an “A” size piston, if Honda offers it. That way you get the longest...
r18b wrote:
Honda doesn't offer that.. Only thing when people are doing a replating is that when they had a port job done to the cylinder and they...
Honda doesn't offer that.. Only thing when people are doing a replating is that when they had a port job done to the cylinder and they don't want to do a new port job. But if you say millenium replating is better then and last longer then a new oem cylinder then ur nuts. Next ur gonna tell that a hot rod crankshaft is better then a oem crankshaft. Performance you get with a port job from Terry Varner.

stick with the oem and ya ride more then 200 hours on a cylinder with some decent oil and a vertex piston but in the end the choice is for (C)oal(R)egion250.

You guys are making it hard to choose. I like OEM but the guy at Millennium Tech had a good sales pitch( it’ll run better,last longer and more power power power haha). Cost for either will be pretty close. Replating may be a little more expensive, in the end I think I’m just gunna count votes. This is out of my expertise which is why I asked for opinions but it seems like for every person saying black there’s another saying white.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
1/25/2018 9:30am
I've used new cylinders and also had Millennium do up a few. My preferred route is to pick out whatever piston I'm going to run in the bike and send it off with the cylinder. They'll plate it to perfectly match the piston. That way whenever I replace the piston I know it'll fit perfectly.

Check CamP's response in this thread, some gold in there for you.
https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Race-Shop,42/04-Honda-CR250,1235573
YamahaJT1
1/25/2018 10:50am
Millennium ALL THE WAY. I just sent back an OEM CR125 cylinder to a major parts warehouse. What used to be overcasting in the water jackets is now undercasting... Poorly made.

I doubt Honda/OEM makers are actually casting cylinders for bikes of our era. They probably aren't doing production work for our bikes (05'-07') anymore. Economically unsound. The molds/dies, etc. have likely been outsourced, and Honda just stocks them for resale. The cross-hatching was very uneven on the "new" OEM cylinder as well.

I have some pics, so stand by as I upload them. The "Expert" at the major parts vendor said, "Ah, ain't no issue" and no return authorization cuz they ain't getting any better than that".

I called Bullshit and made them take it back. If I had an opportunity to inspect it firsthand, I wouldn't have purchased it.

Your call... I have a spare cylinder in solid shape. Going to Millennium. I'll dig up some pics of a cylinder that was done a few years ago by Millennium on a clapper, and I am still running it. Old OEM, rebuilt for me henceforth.
YamahaJT1
1/25/2018 11:05am Edited Date/Time 1/25/2018 11:11am
This casting deformation was about half way through the casting... I took an .009 inch guitar string and was stunned at how far it penetrated the "crack".

Honing appears sloppy and very uneven?

Pay your $, take your chances. Just my $.02.

YamahaJT1
1/25/2018 11:26am Edited Date/Time 1/25/2018 11:34am
Millennium from an 05' that was redone in 2010 on the right during simultaneous teardowns last year. 07' OE untouched on left. Note the "Frosty White" finish. Great seal. Pics prior to cleanup/deglazing.

Watch your squish via torque and base/head gasket thickness. ALWAYS MEASURE. Refurbished units suffer deck wear during cleanup.
YamahaJT1
1/25/2018 11:50am
Clean up RC valve unit and replace the seals every time you do a piston. This unit is "worn" but still serviceable and within spec. You will run down neglected YZ's with ease if you keep her clean. Even my old fat ass can. Ride RED!

YamahaJT1
1/25/2018 12:12pm Edited Date/Time 1/25/2018 12:25pm
Oh, and OP, I too am running an Lectron carb on my '05'.

What a joy it is. Best $$$ I have ever spent. Super easy to dial in.

Forgive me Jesus for the "Tusk" shifter thingie... Moment of weakness/stupidity while online. OEM is great.

YamahaJT1
1/25/2018 12:29pm
This site is whack, and replacing a previous erroneous photo is a joke. Here is Lectron, OP... I love the thing.

1/25/2018 12:34pm
YamahaJT1 wrote:
Oh, and OP, I too am running an Lectron carb on my '05'. What a joy it is. Best $$$ I have ever spent. Super easy...
Oh, and OP, I too am running an Lectron carb on my '05'.

What a joy it is. Best $$$ I have ever spent. Super easy to dial in.

Forgive me Jesus for the "Tusk" shifter thingie... Moment of weakness/stupidity while online. OEM is great.

That is a good looking machine. Mine did look like that at one point. I’m young, now have 3 kids(got a 2fer) just bought our first house so it takes me a little to get my bikes to where I want them. I have way to much fun riding it to keep it nice. I went with a keihin first then to the Lectron. The PWK has its strong points but in different places. In my opinion the Lectron is best in the trails, and the VHM cylinder head and and the Yamaha’s are a thing of the past.
1/25/2018 12:45pm
YamahaJT1 wrote:
This site is whack, and replacing a previous erroneous photo is a joke. Here is Lectron, OP... I love the thing. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/25/240274/s1200_Final_2005_CR125_049.jpg[/img]
This site is whack, and replacing a previous erroneous photo is a joke. Here is Lectron, OP... I love the thing.

I think the Lectron is worth it just for its look haha. I love it.
YamahaJT1
1/25/2018 12:49pm
That is a good looking machine. Mine did look like that at one point. I’m young, now have 3 kids(got a 2fer) just bought our first...
That is a good looking machine. Mine did look like that at one point. I’m young, now have 3 kids(got a 2fer) just bought our first house so it takes me a little to get my bikes to where I want them. I have way to much fun riding it to keep it nice. I went with a keihin first then to the Lectron. The PWK has its strong points but in different places. In my opinion the Lectron is best in the trails, and the VHM cylinder head and and the Yamaha’s are a thing of the past.
Yeah, It doesn't look like that anymore... Takes me time as well to get them sweet.

Point is that, in my estimation/experience the poor quality of the OEM cylinders being offered today for bikes over 10 years old aren't my preference. Good Luck with your family!
1/25/2018 1:27pm
That is a good looking machine. Mine did look like that at one point. I’m young, now have 3 kids(got a 2fer) just bought our first...
YamahaJT1 wrote:
Yeah, It doesn't look like that anymore... Takes me time as well to get them sweet. Point is that, in my estimation/experience the poor quality of...
Yeah, It doesn't look like that anymore... Takes me time as well to get them sweet.

Point is that, in my estimation/experience the poor quality of the OEM cylinders being offered today for bikes over 10 years old aren't my preference. Good Luck with your family!
Thanks for the input. I think that’s the way I’m going to go. I liked what the Millennium Tech guy had to say and there is a lot of people with good reviews for them as well.
YamahaJT1
1/25/2018 2:01pm Edited Date/Time 1/25/2018 2:12pm
Wow, nice looking unit! Thanks for sharing.

Also, post from "40" member fellow in this thread on 1/23/2018 10:48 AM

He is SPOT ON in his analysis, especially his aversion to silicone in an air box anywhere.. Gas/gas fumes will decompose the shit out of it and you'll suck it into the carb/engine. NOT GOOD. One of the finest and most accurate posts I have read on this site ever concerning Honda 2T air boxes and engine health. Thanks, "40"!

Ride safely!
1/26/2018 6:43am Edited Date/Time 1/26/2018 3:06pm
YamahaJT1 wrote:
Wow, nice looking unit! Thanks for sharing. Also, post from "40" member fellow in this thread on 1/23/2018 10:48 AM He is SPOT ON in his...
Wow, nice looking unit! Thanks for sharing.

Also, post from "40" member fellow in this thread on 1/23/2018 10:48 AM

He is SPOT ON in his analysis, especially his aversion to silicone in an air box anywhere.. Gas/gas fumes will decompose the shit out of it and you'll suck it into the carb/engine. NOT GOOD. One of the finest and most accurate posts I have read on this site ever concerning Honda 2T air boxes and engine health. Thanks, "40"!

Ride safely!

Seal All clearly states "gasoline and oil resistant" which makes it suitable for this application.
Click on the photo for a better view.
There are likely other sealants and adhesives available on the market that are also gasoline and oil resistant, however we have had good results using this one.
You will probably not be able to find a similar level of gasoline resistance in commonly available silicone.
Silicone is not suitable for this application.
Tracktor
1/26/2018 9:12am
r18b wrote:
Honda doesn't offer that.. Only thing when people are doing a replating is that when they had a port job done to the cylinder and they...

You're joking right? Lot's of people replate cylinders that have nothing to do with porting. To say that OEM mass produced plating is better than Millenniums' newer technology is plain silly. Comparing them to Hot Rods is just snapping springs on the weirdo scale..............

Post a reply to: 07 CR250 cylinder/piston help

The Latest