06 YZ250 crankshaft bearing replacement

BevoDave
Edited Date/Time 8/8/2019 9:56pm
I could really use some guidance and I’m hoping to find an answer here.

The lower bearings sound a little rough and probably need replacing. Is this something I should consider doing myself or is splitting the cases beyond your average backyard/weekend/amateur’s ability?

I’ve done top ends and have always have had good luck but the lower end’s a different ballgame. The dealers/shops here in Portland aren’t accepting motor work until fall.

What to do?
|
6/29/2019 1:51am Edited Date/Time 6/29/2019 1:51am
If you can do top ends, you can do a bottom end. I assume you are talking about the YZ250 smoker, though the bottom end of a four stroke isnt any harder. I'm no pro, but build a 2-3 motors a year on my own bikes and friends. I can do a full rebuild on my two stroke working slowly over a long afternoon.

Beyond the tools you probably already have like a torque wrench, rubber mallet, etc, a few inexpensive tools make this job so much easier. A Tusk flywheel puller, case splitter, crank puller, clutch/flywheel holder combo and simple handheld propane torch. Well under $200 in tools you can use a lifetime and you will still have huge savings in labor on just one job (and get it done before fall.)

Can you do it without some of these tools? Yes, did a few as teen decades ago. But its a WHOLE lot harder and wouldn't recommend a newbie try it. Just not worth the all the extra effort, chance to get stuck or f up, and frankly, the right tools are cheap.

The hardest part is putting the tranny back into the cases....and that isnt that hard if you take your time. Like every motor, there are lots of tricks to make the process pretty pain free.

BTW, in my experience if the main bearings are going your big end bearing isnt far behind if you dont already have a relatively low hour crank.

If you want more info or tips when and if you move forward, happy to respond with what I know from my experience. There are also a few of us who are on thumpertalk consistently who have built a lot of these YZ250 motors.

Good luck and well within your ability!
kijen
6/29/2019 4:31am
Pretty sure rmatv has a video, recommend a manual, tools listed in above post, pretty sure you can keep the tranny attached to one side of the case. Harderest part for me is putting the tranny back in, just takes patience. If you do most of your other maint you should at least try.
BevoDave
6/29/2019 10:49am
Terrific feedback guys I really appreciate your help I’ll keep you posted on how I’m coming along with this
FWYT
6/29/2019 12:27pm
Yeah, if I can do it, you can do it. Take your time, keep things organized and clean. Watch some videos; there are some REALLY good ones out there.

The Shop

Alec138
6/29/2019 2:50pm
Order all oem parts and buy the correct tools and follow some online tutorial videos like from RMATV and you will be set. Also freeze the new bearings and get yourself a handheld gas torch to heat the cases.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
6/29/2019 4:23pm
Great advice from all.

I get some dry ice from the local supermarket and set the bearings in there before dropping them into the heated case halves. -109F shrinks the metal a little more than a freezer set around 10F.
Paul_Pitzonka
6/29/2019 6:04pm
one other piece of info to make your job slightly easier is build a square frame out of 2x4s to set the case half on while you load the crank and trans...
FWYT
6/30/2019 7:45am
one other piece of info to make your job slightly easier is build a square frame out of 2x4s to set the case half on while...
one other piece of info to make your job slightly easier is build a square frame out of 2x4s to set the case half on while you load the crank and trans...
Yes! This is such a help!

Also, I got a really HD heat gun instead of torch. Works great.
mxracer666
6/30/2019 10:10am
I'm a newbie at the lower end rebuilding too (but would like to try it!) Top ends are no problem on my 2-strokes. A question I have is, how hot do you need to get the cases (after removing the seals) to get the bearings to come, out and go back in? How do you judge how hot they are?
6/30/2019 7:20pm
mxracer666 wrote:
I'm a newbie at the lower end rebuilding too (but would like to try it!) Top ends are no problem on my 2-strokes. A question I...
I'm a newbie at the lower end rebuilding too (but would like to try it!) Top ends are no problem on my 2-strokes. A question I have is, how hot do you need to get the cases (after removing the seals) to get the bearings to come, out and go back in? How do you judge how hot they are?
Heat until you can push them out without much effort or they fall out. Whichever comes first. A heat gun certainly makes this process more precise, but not everyone has one available. To be honest, I almost always use the oven method these days. 250 degrees on a cookie sheet for 10-15 minutes and the bearings literally fall out. I've even used an outdoor smoker with a nice thermometer this past year when a buddies girlfriend refused us access to the oven inside.

Some folks use more heat, and I have read arguments about metallurgy, too much heat etc.... I've always believed 250 degrees to be safe and more than enough heat to do the job. I'm neither a pro wrench or scientist though. Lol

Reverse process when installing. I leave my bearings in the freezer overnight at minimum and they just fall into the hot case. I've had to revert to dry ice only once when we needed to freeze them fast (cough, somebody forgot to put them in the freezer the night before.)

Pull the crank through the right side case first. If you dont have a puller, a torch or heat gun to warm up the main bearing will work. Set case flat on it sides over a couple scraps of 2x4's on your bench to make putting the tranny in easier.

If you have never done this before, it can be helpful to test fit the cases a couple of times cold with the transmission to get the feel for it without the crank.
BevoDave
7/7/2019 1:12pm
So we’ve removed the motor and came across a crack inside the engine. Is this fatal?
slipdog
7/7/2019 1:30pm
Not a crack. It's a casting seam and all YZs have them, nothing to worry about.
BevoDave
7/7/2019 1:53pm
You are my hero Slip!!! We shall carry on!
BevoDave
7/7/2019 9:15pm
If you can do top ends, you can do a bottom end. I assume you are talking about the YZ250 smoker, though the bottom end of...
If you can do top ends, you can do a bottom end. I assume you are talking about the YZ250 smoker, though the bottom end of a four stroke isnt any harder. I'm no pro, but build a 2-3 motors a year on my own bikes and friends. I can do a full rebuild on my two stroke working slowly over a long afternoon.

Beyond the tools you probably already have like a torque wrench, rubber mallet, etc, a few inexpensive tools make this job so much easier. A Tusk flywheel puller, case splitter, crank puller, clutch/flywheel holder combo and simple handheld propane torch. Well under $200 in tools you can use a lifetime and you will still have huge savings in labor on just one job (and get it done before fall.)

Can you do it without some of these tools? Yes, did a few as teen decades ago. But its a WHOLE lot harder and wouldn't recommend a newbie try it. Just not worth the all the extra effort, chance to get stuck or f up, and frankly, the right tools are cheap.

The hardest part is putting the tranny back into the cases....and that isnt that hard if you take your time. Like every motor, there are lots of tricks to make the process pretty pain free.

BTW, in my experience if the main bearings are going your big end bearing isnt far behind if you dont already have a relatively low hour crank.

If you want more info or tips when and if you move forward, happy to respond with what I know from my experience. There are also a few of us who are on thumpertalk consistently who have built a lot of these YZ250 motors.

Captain-question;

I looked around today for some of these tools and with so many products available I have no idea which brand/style I should get;

“ A Tusk flywheel puller, case splitter, crank puller, clutch/flywheel holder combo and simple handheld propane torch. ”

Can you direct me to some name brands you prefer? I get/saw the Tusk but the others?
7/8/2019 4:12am Edited Date/Time 7/8/2019 4:33am
If you can do top ends, you can do a bottom end. I assume you are talking about the YZ250 smoker, though the bottom end of...

BevoDave wrote:
Captain-question; I looked around today for some of these tools and with so many products available I have no idea which brand/style I should get; “...
Captain-question;

I looked around today for some of these tools and with so many products available I have no idea which brand/style I should get;

“ A Tusk flywheel puller, case splitter, crank puller, clutch/flywheel holder combo and simple handheld propane torch. ”

Can you direct me to some name brands you prefer? I get/saw the Tusk but the others?
The Tusk brand tools are available at Rocky Mtn ATV MC.

Case splitter here and can also be used to push the crankshaft out of the right side of the case after splitting (never use a hammer to knock a crank out.)

Clutch holder that also doubles as a flywheel holder here is helpful in removing the basket and holding the flywheel when taking off and installing the bolt on the end of the crankshaft

Crank puller here

Flywheel puller here double check that it fits your year YZ.

You may be able to find some cheaper versions on ebay... but I have used and trust the Tusk brand from Rockymtn for budget level tools. Been my experience with some of the cheap Harbor Freight or Ebay tools is they simple dont work well or break... like a blind bearing puller I tried off ebay some years ago. Its not a rule, just been my experience.

Tools I use more often, I'll upgrade to brands like Motion Pro. All my suspension tools are Motion Pro. The tools I have linked are in my tool box, have been used multiple times, and work on a budget for the hobby mechanic like myself.

You should also consider making yourself a two stroke leakdown tester (different tool and process from the four stroke tool - they are not interchangeable) to ensure your motor is tight when done. You can make them from parts available at any big box store like Home Depot for under $30. Also very useful in diagnosing and repairing your two stroke, not just rebuilds. The Motion Pro version is $260 which I hope to add some day. But the home made ones most folks use work just as well and only take 20 minutes to assemble.

Good luck with the project and keep the thread updated with your progress. We all have gone through this the first time once before and had plenty of questions!

Hudd_421
7/8/2019 7:48am
This guy posted a step-by-step disassembly of a YZ 250: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxK85fCt0Rs

His channel also has a 3 part video series on reassembly. He goes over EVERY step. Have your phone on your work bench, follow along, pause when you have to. Got my YZ rebuilt easy with this!
BevoDave
7/8/2019 1:46pm
Ive placed my order with rocky mtn for all the tools and a hot rod vertex top end kit. I would like to learn a little bit more about the leak down tester.I really appreciate your help guys. I’ll keep you posted on how things are coming along.
7/8/2019 3:08pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2019 3:09pm
What I am dying to know is who is the woman in your avatar....... I have a squirrel moment every time I open this thread. Woohoo
BevoDave
7/8/2019 3:56pm
My dream girl Captain. Im a fan of brunettes w big bumpers 🤣. Once she sees how smooth this YZ runs she’ll be ALL MINE 😆😆😆
BevoDave
7/8/2019 4:04pm
Check online; pashence_marie on instagram

JM485
7/8/2019 4:33pm
BevoDave wrote:
Ive placed my order with rocky mtn for all the tools and a hot rod vertex top end kit. I would like to learn a little...
Ive placed my order with rocky mtn for all the tools and a hot rod vertex top end kit. I would like to learn a little bit more about the leak down tester.I really appreciate your help guys. I’ll keep you posted on how things are coming along.
With how cheap an OEM crank is for a YZ, I would highly recommend going that route along with OEM crank bearings and seals. Top end I would say you're fine with Vertex, but on the bottom end and something that is such high precision I would only go OEM. Also, while you're in there check all of your transmission bearings, mine were starting to get a bit notchy when I did my bottom end at 150 hours so I replaced them all while I was in there. A cheap press from Harbor Freight will make your life easier when installing the new bearings, but like anything else just use your best judgement and stop if you feel something isn't right.
BevoDave
7/10/2019 10:39pm
BevoDave wrote:
Ive placed my order with rocky mtn for all the tools and a hot rod vertex top end kit. I would like to learn a little...
JM485 wrote:
With how cheap an OEM crank is for a YZ, I would highly recommend going that route along with OEM crank bearings and seals. Top end...
With how cheap an OEM crank is for a YZ, I would highly recommend going that route along with OEM crank bearings and seals. Top end I would say you're fine with Vertex, but on the bottom end and something that is such high precision I would only go OEM. Also, while you're in there check all of your transmission bearings, mine were starting to get a bit notchy when I did my bottom end at 150 hours so I replaced them all while I was in there. A cheap press from Harbor Freight will make your life easier when installing the new bearings, but like anything else just use your best judgement and stop if you feel something isn't right.
The kit I ordered is from hot rod vertex top/bottom rebuild kit includes the crank and tranny bearings.
lumpy790
7/11/2019 9:08am
Takes a special tool to get the case main bearings off the crank too
BevoDave
7/11/2019 11:40am
Hudd_421 wrote:
I'd strongly advise against a hotrods crank
Whats up w hot rod?
BevoDave
7/11/2019 11:41am
lumpy790 wrote:
Takes a special tool to get the case main bearings off the crank too
Got it coming 😊
Paul_Pitzonka
7/11/2019 12:03pm Edited Date/Time 7/11/2019 12:05pm
Hudd_421 wrote:
BevoDave wrote:
Whats up w hot rod?
You’re going to get some mixed review on hotrods... they had a quality control issue a few years back (and while they’re not my first choice in aftermarket rods or cranks); As of late the last few hotrod cranks I’ve spun to make sure they were true ended up spinning incredibly straight (alot straighter than most OEM cranks I’ve trued straight out of the box)... personally, I’ve installed too many hotrod cranks (with zero issues) to write anything negative about the company... just be aware that there are horror stories out there... also a descent tip for you when rebuilding/ building an engine always make sure the crank spins true...
Hudd_421
7/11/2019 12:34pm
Hudd_421 wrote:
BevoDave wrote:
Whats up w hot rod?
You’re going to get some mixed review on hotrods... they had a quality control issue a few years back (and while they’re not my first choice...
You’re going to get some mixed review on hotrods... they had a quality control issue a few years back (and while they’re not my first choice in aftermarket rods or cranks); As of late the last few hotrod cranks I’ve spun to make sure they were true ended up spinning incredibly straight (alot straighter than most OEM cranks I’ve trued straight out of the box)... personally, I’ve installed too many hotrod cranks (with zero issues) to write anything negative about the company... just be aware that there are horror stories out there... also a descent tip for you when rebuilding/ building an engine always make sure the crank spins true...
I had an issue with the Rod. Broke at the wrist pin, punched a hole through the cases and cylinder.

Post a reply to: 06 YZ250 crankshaft bearing replacement

The Latest