06 RM 250

I haven't ridden dirt bikes in a long time and decided to get into it again. I purchased a used 06 RM260, its been a bit neglected and looks to have been used as a trail bike. Its got really good compression and starts first kick however it spits a lot, to much in my opinion. I took the pipe off to clean it and black oil came out of the pipe. It also poured out of the slip on. Its black thin oil and it looks like it just hasn't been run all that hard and the previous owner has obviously mixed at a pretty low ratio. It also is really flat mid throttle kind of hesitating and burping so I think it needs a good carb cleaning and re-jetting. I plan on running pump 91 gas with Amsoil dominator at a 40:1 ratio. I also plan to pull the carb and look what's in there, its got a pro circuit platinum 2 pipe on it so if its stock jetting that could be the issue. I plan to clean it up and rejet it, Is this a good place to start? I'm about 3000ft above sea level. I was planning to start with the procircuit specs which are 168 Main 48 Pilot and the needle in the 3rd position. Then do a plug check.
|
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
638th
8/2/2019 11:56am
the 06-08 rm250s were the best years for sure. sounds like yours was lugged around getting loaded up quite a bit. yeah, cleaning everything out is great way to start. check the reeds also. that bike should run crispy crisp.
here's some good info on your bike

https://motocrossactionmag.com/mxas-2006-suzuki-rm250-two-stroke-full-t…
8/2/2019 12:01pm
I took the carb off last night and gave it a very thorough cleaning.It was running a 48 pilot and and 168 main. I left the pilot alone and dropped it down to a 165 main. I turned the air screw out a turn and a half and it started right up and my fender wasn't full of black oil right away so that's a good sign. it was late when I finished so Ill have to give it a test run today. When I test rode it before the carb it was brutal. It had absolutely zilch in the mid range and wouldn't put the front wheel up in 1st. I'm hoping its just a dirty carb from sitting. Like I said it has good compression so its gotta be fuel related.
chump6784
8/2/2019 2:09pm
The platinum 2 pipe is also a woods pipe, it's designed for more bottom to mid and go flat on top. I had an 07 rm250, it was an awesome bike
b8res
8/2/2019 2:45pm
Will_Nyman wrote:
I took the carb off last night and gave it a very thorough cleaning.It was running a 48 pilot and and 168 main. I left the...
I took the carb off last night and gave it a very thorough cleaning.It was running a 48 pilot and and 168 main. I left the pilot alone and dropped it down to a 165 main. I turned the air screw out a turn and a half and it started right up and my fender wasn't full of black oil right away so that's a good sign. it was late when I finished so Ill have to give it a test run today. When I test rode it before the carb it was brutal. It had absolutely zilch in the mid range and wouldn't put the front wheel up in 1st. I'm hoping its just a dirty carb from sitting. Like I said it has good compression so its gotta be fuel related.
Repack the silencer, and burn that oil oil out of the pipe.

The Shop

suspensionguy
Fantasy
2001st
8/2/2019 7:26pm
Great bikes. I had a 06’ rc edition. You should be able to find tons of information on set up. I’ve never liked gnarly or pc2 pipes, they take away from up top to boost the bottom. The last years like yours were basically a YZ250 motor clone but with a lighter flywheel, 8oz lighter if I remember correctly so they benefit from a FWW unless your riding AX or SX with it. 14/48 gearing Works good if you ride fast tracks. I bet you’ll end up with a 45 pilot and 162 in it, maybe even a 42 pilot. Also sounds like it’s rich on your needle clip right now.
BAMX
8/2/2019 9:58pm
I have an 06 RM250 and it is a great bike on the track and offroad.

I have been using Diggers jetting suggestions and have had no issues.

Fuel: 50/50 91/ 100 or more race gas ( looking to be 95 plus octane)
Oil: Motorex Cross Power 2T @ 40:1
Main: 172
Pilot: 48
Needle: stock 3rd
Air: 1.5

Other than that, I run V Force reeds, PC Platinum pipe, PC spark arrestor silencer and a flywheel weight. My top ends are ProX with ProX gasket kits and an OEM needle bearing.

The clutch is shit so get a Hinson basket and a KG clutch kit (they make the OEM plates) To me it feels like the springs in the KG kit are slightly stiffer but, I haven't tested them on a spring rater. I am just going by feel. They work well even in hard enduro type stuff. Trans oil for me is Motorex Top Speed 10w-40
8/15/2019 10:25am
I'm getting frustrated. I got the spooging issue fixed I bought a brand new exhaust (FMF Gnarly and FMF Shorty) put in a new plug. Its got a clean carb new jets, clean filter brand new exhaust. I took it out last night to finally get a really good test in and had piss poor results. Its got crap for power it seems like it wont hit the power band. It also started spooging out of the cylinder cover next to the power valve adjustment knob. When you crack it wide open it seems to hit a wall before it will hit the power band. I took the exhaust off and checked the power valve it does open and seems like its connected. It seemed to me there is quite a bit of tension on that rod to open and close the power valve. I'm tempted to bring it a qualified 2 stroke mechanic but I really wanna learn this stuff myself. I fear if I bring it in that's the quitters way out. When I took the exhaust off and looked in the piston looks brand new and it has 210 compression so I don't think the top end is going.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
8/15/2019 10:39am
I think I'd look closer at the power valve assembly at that point.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
8/15/2019 7:40pm
have you checked your reeds?

im with seth though sounds PV related.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
8/20/2019 10:51am
x3 on the power valve, especially if the main jet is clean as you say. Does it run correctly at low RPM? If you gradually rev it up to higher RPMs while riding, is the cut-out at the same RPM range?

Remember, the PV governor works at a particular RPM; the throttle response is more about carburetor. Slowly pulling up to speed may tell you something.

Post a reply to: 06 RM 250

The Latest