04 kx250f oil leak

Related:
Create New Tag

9/28/2018 6:26 PM

Hey guys just picked up a 04 kx250f pretty cheap looks like it's been rode pretty hard poorly maintained but has had a lil money spent on some decent parts. Hope I don't wind up doing a full rebuild. I got it cheap because the guy claimed it was more than he wanted and he says after a couple rides he noticed the oil looked funny. Water had got into the filter thru the water pump seal that it had been pinched by previous owner so he decided to sell. I replaced the seal and got it fired up and find oil pushing around the front head bolt. On the right side two maybe 14mm bolt one front and one rear of the head. The rear has no washer and the front has a black washer under the head and that is where the oil is coming from. Not sure why one has a washer and one doesn't anybody have any experience with this?

|

9/28/2018 7:17 PM

Could be a bad head gasket or even a cracked head. You will need to tear it down and find the cause before some real damage happens. These were know to run hot and had cooling issues from day one until about 2006.

Paw Paw

|

9/29/2018 8:20 AM

Those bolts are the main bolts that hold the cylinder and head together. There is supposed to be a copper sealing washer underneath each bolt. There is 4 in total the other two are under the cam shafts. You will have to replace the head-gasket too.

|

9/29/2018 3:56 PM

Theres a washer underneath all 4 bolts on my kx250f as well. Mines an 09, but i believe the motor design is pretty much the same.

|

9/29/2018 4:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/29/2018 4:03 PM

Yea unfortunately it's looking like the previous owner had no clue what he was doing putting it back together guess I'm gona have to tear it apart and do some research to put it back together correctly. Really wish I cud run it long enough to tell if the bottom end is in good shape going to be really disappointed if I do the top end and the bottom goes out after reassembly.

|

9/29/2018 4:57 PM

Check the bottom end when you tear it down, before you put it back together.

Paw Paw

|

9/29/2018 5:13 PM

Not sure what to look at in the bottom end never really did much bottom end work on a dirt bike

|

9/29/2018 7:41 PM

You will be looking for any play up and down on the rod. You will be looking for any rough movement in the crank.
If you have either, replace the crank, bearings, cam chain and seals plus the top end.
As you stated....This bike has been run hard and put away wet it's whole life and has also had poor maintenance, so you will need to expect to put some money and effort into it to have a safe bike.
Be sure to pick up a service manual for this bike before you even start the work.

Paw Paw

|