‘04 YZ250 Steering stem problem?

deccr250
Edited Date/Time 8/4/2018 11:55am
Hey all,

Recently purchased a 2004 YZ250 with the intentions of bringing it back to its former glory.
Today I decided to tackle the steering stem bearings as they were ruined.
After removing the old bearings and races etc I noticed that whoever had changed the bearings at some point before me had been a bit heavy handed and damaged/taken a small chunk out of the lip inside the stem that one of the bearing races sits on.
I carried on and fitted the new bearings etc anyway but I was wondering, has anyone come across this before?? And is it something I should be worried about? I’ve added a picture below of the damaged lip!
Many thanks!

|
8/4/2018 11:09am
Nothing to be worried about. Make sure it isn’t cracked around where the chunk is missing.

The race sits there so it will have no ill affect on the bearings or steering.
deccr250
8/4/2018 11:55am
Nothing to be worried about. Make sure it isn’t cracked around where the chunk is missing. The race sits there so it will have no ill...
Nothing to be worried about. Make sure it isn’t cracked around where the chunk is missing.

The race sits there so it will have no ill affect on the bearings or steering.
Thanks! I cleaned up the area and checked for any cracks before fitting the new bearings and was all good Smile
Drake55
11/1/2023 5:24am

My bottom lip is damaged bent alittle in some parts. Should I try to straighten it alittle more or you think the races will push them back in place when I install the new races? 

Post a reply to: ‘04 YZ250 Steering stem problem?

The Latest