04 CR85 bogging mid throttle

Ray 37
New to the site guys so try and take it easy on me.. Bought this bike last month idles fine and when i can mess with the throttle and get it to the power band i can ride it out in all gears with the front wheel off the ground. Mid throttle will bog when anything over a quarter throttle. Compression is good, new reeds put in, carb cleaned filter is in good shape. still same problem. I took it to a local shop and they have not figured it out yet. Any one have any ideas on what might be the problem...please help!!
|
Rockinar
3/30/2017 10:30pm Edited Date/Time 3/30/2017 10:32pm
Could be a couple things. Sounds like jetting issue to me. Try some different jetting and see if it helps or gets worse.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
3/31/2017 8:20am
Check the needle position. The needle controls 1/4 to 3/4 throttle.
Hondas4Life3
3/31/2017 8:28am Edited Date/Time 3/31/2017 8:28am
Agreed sounds like jetting. Play with main sizes until you get the bog fixed then fine tune it with the needle. Start with needle in middle position. I would go up first and if the bog gets worse go the other direction. An air leak can also cause erratic jetting.
Ray 37
3/31/2017 8:40am
Thanks everyone for the info. I tried adjusting the needle with mostly same outcome before i took it in to the shop. I was thinking jetting because previous owner said he did a top end job on it. I just have never messed with jetting a carb after looking into it does not seem to hard. I will talk to the tech today and hopefully get my boy back on two wheels before he drives me insane..

The Shop

Rockinar
3/31/2017 12:43pm Edited Date/Time 3/31/2017 12:46pm
Ray 37 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the info. I tried adjusting the needle with mostly same outcome before i took it in to the shop. I was thinking jetting...
Thanks everyone for the info. I tried adjusting the needle with mostly same outcome before i took it in to the shop. I was thinking jetting because previous owner said he did a top end job on it. I just have never messed with jetting a carb after looking into it does not seem to hard. I will talk to the tech today and hopefully get my boy back on two wheels before he drives me insane..
People do strange things to used bikes. Check to see what jetting is in it for starters and see if its stock or someone messed with it.

I dont know that a shop will test different jetting settings. I would think that it its not something they can fix with the twist of a wrench, they wont do it. I cant see them ordering new jetting to test on your bike. Maybe they will? I dunno.

Here's what jetting Pro Circuit recommends. YMMV

https://www.procircuit.com/jettingspecs3.htm

4/3/2017 10:23pm
If jetting doesnt fix it. Check the stator. I bet you its the stator. Had the same problem for 6 months with a yz85. One of the winding stacks had a burned wire
Ray 37
4/13/2017 1:29pm
Thanks guys, i will be picking it up from the shop tomorrow. They told me its made that way three weeks later lol. So i will go at it again myself checking jet sizes and the stator windings. Let you know how it goes.
Ray 37
10/9/2017 1:14pm
Ok just an update incase someone else runs into this problem. Got the bikke back from the shop they could not get it write told me just runs like that..lmao. So frustrated i i started to tear it down long and short of it the fn main crank seal oilside was not seated corectly. Put a new one in bike truns its ass off. Crazy thing is no burning oil smell and was not going thru any crazy amount of oil. Guessing it was maybe popping in and out of possition.
Paw Paw
10/9/2017 3:18pm
A leak test and a vacuum test should have found this issue. This is the only way to testing the sealing of both seal lips.
It can leak in one direction and not in the other and that is why both test should be done.

Paw Paw

Post a reply to: 04 CR85 bogging mid throttle

The Latest