03 Yz250 Problems after rebuild

JBF3
Edited Date/Time 6/7/2020 1:14am
So coming off a fresh rebuild bike would start right up, time came to take it on it first ride things were fine until i tried to shift to second and like the bike just started jerking. So trying to find neutral and i can’t seems as if the clutch wasn’t engaging.Took it apart and found shift drum was bent replaced that but now i can’t get the cases back together, the transmission is catching on something i think or idek what’s causing them not to close evenly! I have some pictures to see if i put them in correctly, also the worse oil drain plug i’ve seen any suggestions to get it off?

|
kb228
6/3/2020 5:33pm
Could be the angle but the shafts your forks are riding on look crooked(see last pic). Wouldnt surprise me if it was if the drum was bent.

Additionally check your bearings for straightness and your dowels are not banged up
captmoto
6/3/2020 6:27pm
Check your shift forks to make sure they are in the right order and right direction. Make sure you can get it to shift through all the gears before you try to put it together. Also, get a factory shop manual and read it thoroughly before you put it back together.
Paw Paw
6/4/2020 6:14am
"Bent shift drum"????????
That is a new one on me.

Paw Paw
Hoseclamp
Fantasy
617th
6/4/2020 7:28am
I know almost nothing about the tranny, but a sharp punch and hammer would get that drain plug out. Could also grind a slot in it and use a big flat blade screw driver.

The Shop

JBF3
6/4/2020 10:11pm
captmoto wrote:
Check your shift forks to make sure they are in the right order and right direction. Make sure you can get it to shift through all...
Check your shift forks to make sure they are in the right order and right direction. Make sure you can get it to shift through all the gears before you try to put it together. Also, get a factory shop manual and read it thoroughly before you put it back together.
I’ve feel like i’ve doubled and tripled checked, it may be like he said^^^ my shift forks may be bent but that brings me to the problem of not being able to get the transmission out lmao I’ve been struggling for days and I can’t beat on it to get it out so i’ve just given up for the time being
JBF3
6/4/2020 10:12pm
Paw Paw wrote:
"Bent shift drum"????????
That is a new one on me.

Paw Paw
the new one is in those pics
DynoDan22
6/5/2020 7:20am
take the crank out and try reassembling the cases. repeat taking one part out at a time until you find the culprit. Obviously, don't force the cases shut or you'll blow them out and you'll be in the For Sale Bazaar looking for a new case.
deccr250
6/6/2020 1:00pm Edited Date/Time 6/6/2020 1:07pm
Make sure you’ve got your crank completely centred. Having even the slightest bit off centre will cause the cases to not meet evenly.
You can pull the crank in and gently tap it on the opposite side with a dead blow hammer. A lot of people will say not to tap the crank as you can unbalance it but a few gentle taps with a dead blow as you’re pulling it in will do no harm.
If it works you may hear a pop as it seats back in correctly.
Once you’ve got it in, check either side of the crank with a feeler gauge to make sure it’s completely central. Smile

Edit -

Could be the pics but your trans doesn’t look to be sat correctly, I’ve added a couple of images below of my 2004 YZ250 trans before I pulled it out so you can see how it should be seated.

6/7/2020 1:14am
Think deccr250 nailed it, your output (counter) shaft is not fully seated in its bearing. The second gear pinion and wheel should be flush to each other on their respective shafts. To remove sticky transmissions, lightly tap on the main shaft from the clutch side while wiggling/pulling from the other.

Use your case splitter to push the crank out and do a few dry fit test runs with your cases and transmission until you have it right.

I'm in the never hit a crank with a hammer camp... but that's just my opinion. Others may vary. Laughing

Your forks and drum appear correct, just your counter shaft not fully seated into its bearing and riding higher.
JBF3
6/7/2020 6:02am
Think deccr250 nailed it, your output (counter) shaft is not fully seated in its bearing. The second gear pinion and wheel should be flush to each...
Think deccr250 nailed it, your output (counter) shaft is not fully seated in its bearing. The second gear pinion and wheel should be flush to each other on their respective shafts. To remove sticky transmissions, lightly tap on the main shaft from the clutch side while wiggling/pulling from the other.

Use your case splitter to push the crank out and do a few dry fit test runs with your cases and transmission until you have it right.

I'm in the never hit a crank with a hammer camp... but that's just my opinion. Others may vary. Laughing

Your forks and drum appear correct, just your counter shaft not fully seated into its bearing and riding higher.
thanks for the help guys, gonna try this on my next day off! i’ll report back to let you know

Post a reply to: 03 Yz250 Problems after rebuild

The Latest