03 Rm125 transmission

evandrury595
1/5/2019 4:19pm
Hello all,

So back in November I picked up an rm125 in a few 5 gallon buckets and have been sorting through it all. Had at least 2 transmissions and 2 sets of cases (last dude that had the bike somehow exploded the main shaft in the transmission, but one of the transmissions is fine...I know, how does that happen?) Anyway, I picked up a new crank and bearings, but am using the one good tranny that came with the bike because it's not damaged and seems to only have normal wear. I had to piece the good transmission together as both the main and counter shafts were disassembled.

I just pushed the cases together but for some reason the main shaft doesn't spin freely. It will shift through all of the gears fine, but just is not easy to spin. It dod spin freely prior to the cases being pressed together. The counter shaft spins with normal drag. Has this happened to anyone? From what I can tell, and from the OEM manual, the tranny is together correctly, but for some reason this thing is just not spinning correctly. Could it be a worn washer or simply friction?
Just trying to avoid splitting the cases even though I will probably end up doing so. Thanks
|
brody
1/6/2019 11:12am
Is it in nuetral when you try to spin it
I would split them and go though everything in the tranny
Not worth having it lock up and getting thrown over the bars
evandrury595
1/6/2019 12:25pm
Yeah she's in neutral. I can clearly shift through each gear too. Bearings are brand new in the cases. Some of the gears in the tranny did have some gunk rust stuff on them that I was able to get mostly off. That's why I'm thinking perhaps it's friction. Looks like I'll be splitting the cases to find out!
brody
1/6/2019 5:12pm
If there was rust some of you gears are more than likley sticking
Id pull it take all seals out and soak the tranny on some wd 40 or other pentrating oil like atf and acetone

Post a reply to: 03 Rm125 transmission

The Latest