03 RM125 drive shaft bearings

Related:
Create New Tag

11/26/2018 9:37 AM

Hello all,

Picked up an 03 rm125 project that I got in two 5 gallon buckets and a roller. Anyway, now that I've got everything clean, I've been able to identify what is good and what needs to be replaced. I've noticed that pretty much all of the bearings in the bottom end need replacing, so I've began replacing them. I noticed that the drive shaft bearing that is pressed into the clutch side of the crankcase isn't a super snug fit. I've double checked the part numbers and have the correct item, it just didn't take much for it to press into the case, and I noticed that this one in particular doesn't have anything to prevent it from coming out of its "hole" (I can tap it in, but then push it out with my finger from behind). I've attached a picture if my description sucks (Its number 3)Photo. I'm wondering if this bearing is normally like this as the drive shaft does push through it and the idle gear connects on the other side of the case. Any knowledge is appreciated.

|

11/26/2018 9:54 AM

If something attaches on the other side i would think its okay. It will be sandwiched in there via the transmission shaft. Ive seen bearings have a loose fit like that and work fine. Not all of them require sweating them in.

|

11/26/2018 9:58 AM

Thanks, yeah I was thinking that but just wanted to be sure before I get her all back together and she explodes thereafter haha.

|

11/26/2018 10:24 AM

Just so im clear, you shouldnt feel any side to side play with the bearing in that hole.

|

11/26/2018 10:36 AM

Oh yeah, definitly no side to side play. It's in there snug but just slides out relatively easily

|

11/26/2018 11:14 AM

Funny, that happened with an 03 RM I had a few years ago. I assembled everything and torqued it properly and never had a problem.

|