03 CR250 Electrical issues HEEELLLPPP

KCMX
9/13/2017 11:55am
Ok so I can't get spark on my 2003 CR250 for the life of me. Back story: Washed the bike after a ride day, started the bike after the wash to warm it up and it would barely stay running, acting like it was loaded up but would not rev at all. Shut the bike off and have not been able to get spark since. Here is what I have replaced with new OEM parts: Coil, wire/plug boot, wiring harness, and a new stator from Ricky Stator.. I have also tried a different CDI that was working and it did nothing. Tried unplugging the kill switch, nothing.

**For what its worth I did have an issue a few rides ago during a moto where it felt like the power valve wasn't working. The bike all of a sudden went "flat" like it was running 1/2 power or something? Finished moto, let it cool off and then it was fine.. Thinking maybe the powervalve motor was on the fritz? Could it be possible that the motor has gone bad, possibly related to washing the bike that would keep the bike from getting any spark?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
|
erik_94COBRA
9/13/2017 1:07pm
Brand new spark plug?

Check the ground?

Have adequate compression?
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
9/13/2017 1:33pm
New spark plug?

Try disconnecting the kill switch?

Does that bike have any fuse?
KCMX
9/13/2017 1:37pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2017 5:52am
New spark plug, no fuses that i know of... Tried disconnecting the kill switch. Double checked the ground..
RMRider1
9/14/2017 2:22pm
Did you try starting it or are you just looking at spark plug for spark? Needs to be kicked over pretty firmly to create spark from the CDI.

The Shop

KCMX
9/14/2017 5:42pm
RMRider1 wrote:
Did you try starting it or are you just looking at spark plug for spark? Needs to be kicked over pretty firmly to create spark from...
Did you try starting it or are you just looking at spark plug for spark? Needs to be kicked over pretty firmly to create spark from the CDI.
Yeah i have tried starting, also had my brother inlaw hold the plug with his thumb over it while i kick it! Lol No spark, i am at a loss..
K-Dub613
9/15/2017 7:35am
I owned one recently and had some electrical problems as well. I noticed you have pretty much replaced all the electrical parts. I would double and triple check the wiring going into the CDI and check the ground connections. My bike would fire, but the ground wire for the power valve was broken at the connector going into the CDI box.

They can be a electrical nightmare, but look at tall the connectors and exposed wires.

I hope you get it fixed.

KR
Paw Paw
9/15/2017 1:45pm
One other thing to check...Make sure your motor mounts are good and clean and have a good connection to the frame. IE: No dirt or rust. If they are dirty or rusted you will not be making a good ground.
Also be sure your coil mounts are free of dirt or rust.
I would do an OHMs test of the coil.
If all that checks out then look at the trigger coil on the stator. Then OHM test the stator.

Paw Paw

Post a reply to: 03 CR250 Electrical issues HEEELLLPPP

The Latest