02 CR250 wide open when cranking

labbe001
11/20/2018 2:23pm Edited Date/Time 11/21/2018 7:17am
hello all,
I just finished a complete top and bottom end on my 02 Cr250. When I went to kick it, it took at least 100 kicks to finally fire up. When it did finally start, it was wide open. I immediately killed it to do some investigation. I checked the throttle slide thinking it was stuck...it slides freely without sticking. What else may be causing this issue? I didn't do any work to the carb while it was out. Any help would be appreciated.
Alos feel like I need to mention that it has a carb from a 2000 CR250 that was on it before the engine work was done

Thanks,
DLL
|
11/20/2018 3:01pm
Sounds like an air leak somewhere. Check the stator side crank seal and the reed block (both where it goes into the cases and where the carb attaches) would be where I would start.
labbe001
11/20/2018 3:50pm
Sounds like an air leak somewhere. Check the stator side crank seal and the reed block (both where it goes into the cases and where the...
Sounds like an air leak somewhere. Check the stator side crank seal and the reed block (both where it goes into the cases and where the carb attaches) would be where I would start.
Crap....i had no idea that a bad crank seal would cause this. I did have some issues when installing the stator side seal. If this does happen to be the issue, is it possible to install a new one without having to split the cases back open? *fingers crossed"
11/20/2018 4:39pm
labbe001 wrote:
Crap....i had no idea that a bad crank seal would cause this. I did have some issues when installing the stator side seal. If this does...
Crap....i had no idea that a bad crank seal would cause this. I did have some issues when installing the stator side seal. If this does happen to be the issue, is it possible to install a new one without having to split the cases back open? *fingers crossed"
I can't speak to that specific bike, some you can and some you can't.
Paw Paw 271
11/20/2018 4:51pm
Yes you can install a new one while the engine is still in the frame.
How long did the carb set with fuel in it while engine work was being done? A clogged pilot jet may be the cause.

Paw Paw

The Shop

labbe001
11/20/2018 4:59pm
Yes you can install a new one while the engine is still in the frame. How long did the carb set with fuel in it while...
Yes you can install a new one while the engine is still in the frame.
How long did the carb set with fuel in it while engine work was being done? A clogged pilot jet may be the cause.

Paw Paw

That's great news....The carb has been sitting for about a month or so. I drainedand cleaned the carb with spray carb cleaner when I removed it initially.

Since my last post, I pulled the carb, removed the float bowl and cleaned it. I removed the reed cage, checked for leaks then re-tightened the bolts. I assembled everything back together. Two kicks and she fired right up. The idle is still really high but not nearly as bad as it was....i can atleast let it sit and idle now but still chasing an issue. Adjusting the idle screw on the carb doesn't seem to have an effect on the idle speed. I'm going to call it an evening and pick back up tomorrow. Thanks guys for the help. Any additional thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
Paw Paw 271
11/21/2018 6:06am
I did not see where you pulled and cleaned the pilot jet. It has some very small holes in it that may still clogged. Those holes will clean out with just spray cleaner.

Paw Paw
labbe001
11/21/2018 7:15am Edited Date/Time 11/21/2018 7:17am
Thanks to everyone for all of the great info. I happened to get it figured out this morning. I fired the bike up this morning and it was still a very high idle. I tired adjusting the idle screw on the carb and nothing. Then, for giggles I went to adjust the freeplay at the throttle. The bike immediately died. Apparently, somehow during the disassembly and re-assembly process, my throttle cable got stuck on the end of the throttle freeplay adjustment. Visual below of what i'm talking about.
Sometimes I tend to look too deep for a problem when the whole time it's been sitting right under my nose....literally this time..... lol

I think maybe my problem was two part....(1) an air leak at the carb and (2) the issue with the throttle cable. Thanks again for all of the help and input

Post a reply to: 02 CR250 wide open when cranking

The Latest