01 yz250 motor into alum frame?

chad_111
I know an engine from a 04 yz250 2 stroke will fit directly into an aluminum framed yz250, but having trouble finding out if an engine from a 01 yz250 will do the same. Anyone have some knowledge on this?
|
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
9/13/2021 2:08pm
Pretty sure it works and there's lots of threads on ThumperTalk about this. Think you might need to mess with the steel collars pressed in the cases due to different swingarm pivot shaft diameters.

2001 stock pipe will not work on alum frame. Bend is too tight and close to the bigger frame.

2001 stock carb will work, but the TPS is oriented 180 degrees opposite which prevents being able to rotate the carb on the bike to facilitate needle changes.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
9/13/2021 2:10pm
If I am not mistaken, the engines from about 2001 onward are virtually identical, with only electrical, exhaust, or jetting changes.
They may be externally identical from about '99 onward.
Sorry I can't be certain, but I think 2001 would fit just fine.
chad_111
9/13/2021 2:46pm Edited Date/Time 9/13/2021 2:47pm
Ok thanks for the replies guys. I've got a '16 yz250 that had a catastrophic failure, looking like I'm gonna need new crankcase, cylinder, etc. Found a sweet deal on a crankcase set off an 01 yz250 but I'm thinking I may run into trouble using my transmission, electrical, carb etc, off my 2016. Maybe it just won't be worth the headache.
9/13/2021 3:46pm
chad_111 wrote:
Ok thanks for the replies guys. I've got a '16 yz250 that had a catastrophic failure, looking like I'm gonna need new crankcase, cylinder, etc. Found...
Ok thanks for the replies guys. I've got a '16 yz250 that had a catastrophic failure, looking like I'm gonna need new crankcase, cylinder, etc. Found a sweet deal on a crankcase set off an 01 yz250 but I'm thinking I may run into trouble using my transmission, electrical, carb etc, off my 2016. Maybe it just won't be worth the headache.
Try it if it’s a smoking deal and worst case sell if it doesn’t work out. Heck maybe even make an extra buck to get what you need

The Shop

kijen
9/13/2021 6:42pm
I actually have a 01 enigine in my 05 frame, required machine shop to put in 02 or latter bushings in the swing arm pivot of the cases.
chad_111
9/13/2021 7:10pm
kijen wrote:
I actually have a 01 enigine in my 05 frame, required machine shop to put in 02 or latter bushings in the swing arm pivot of...
I actually have a 01 enigine in my 05 frame, required machine shop to put in 02 or latter bushings in the swing arm pivot of the cases.
Any idea if I'd be able to use all other components for a 16 on a set of 01 cases? Electrical, transmission, cylinder, clutch, shift shaft, etc etc?
kijen
9/14/2021 6:29am Edited Date/Time 9/14/2021 6:32am
I used evertyhing off the 05, electrical, carb etc...other than the bushing difference, the kick starter lever, kick gear and the outer case cover is different, if you have the comlete engine, than no issue, only if you planed on replacing those parts, all the other parts work up to 2021, not sure of changes to 2022. You will not have the netural indicator stuff, no biggie.
9/14/2021 8:01am
chad_111 wrote:
Ok thanks for the replies guys. I've got a '16 yz250 that had a catastrophic failure, looking like I'm gonna need new crankcase, cylinder, etc. Found...
Everything from your motor will bolt in or onto the 99+ cases with the exception of the neutral indicator, which I believe was added in the US around 2010. Bike runs fine without it, there are even aftermarket block off kits for the late model YZs to eliminate it.

The rear swing arm bushings will need to be enlarged ever so slightly when using a 99-01 motor to fit into the 02-21 bikes with the larger swingarm pivot bolt. If you have a drill press, easy to accomplish in a couple of minutes. There is plenty of material in the bushing to allow this. You can't simply swap the bushings, as the outside diameter of the 02+ bushings is larger than the outside diameter of the 99-01 bushings. This is really the only thing you need to do, and it isn't a big deal.

Only other significant changes to the bottom end (and they don't affect the use of the early cases on late model bikes) was the crank and kickstarter shaft. The crank used a different taper on the flywheel side from 99-00, 01-02, and 03 on if I remember correctly. Just need to ensure you use the same gen flywheel that matches the crank. Any year crank with fit in any year case from 99 up.

The inner diameter of the kickstarter shaft didn't change where it fits into the center case, only the outer. So you just need match the outer case to what ever generation kickstarter you already have... ie your kickstarter and outer clutch side cover.. easy.

Bottom line between your cooked motor and an 01, you will have all the parts to put it back together again. I've used multiple 99-01 cases building 02 + motors.

GarrettL
9/14/2021 12:19pm
You can swap out the swingarm bushings in the case simply by punching them out and using the newer ones. Use a little heat if necessary.
9/14/2021 5:08pm
GarrettL wrote:
You can swap out the swingarm bushings in the case simply by punching them out and using the newer ones. Use a little heat if necessary.
No, you may not. I’ve actually done this a few times. Not only is the inside diameter of the 02 + case swing arm bushings larger, the outside diameter is too.

They won’t fit, unless you machine the earlier cases to fit the newer bushings, or turn the newer bushings on a lathe to reduce the outside diameter. I’ve seen this claimed on thumper talk a number of times and believed it until I did my first motor with older cases and had both generations bushings out to examine them.

There is however plenty of material in the earlier bushings to drill out the larger inside diameter. This is only way to approach it. Drill them out and be done.
chad_111
9/14/2021 5:31pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2021 5:32pm
Thank you guys for all your knowledge on the topic, unfortunately the 01 cases that I was eying up sold over night. At least now I know what range of cases I can look for, and seeing as riding season is almost done here in Canada I've got a good 7 months to look for a set before next riding season.
chad_111
9/17/2021 4:32am
Got another question for you guys. My cases may be salvageable. Got the engine out of the bike yesterday and got the top end off. I work in a metal fab and machine shop and as long as it's not worse then what I can see so far, I may be able to weld the cases and have the machine shop clean up the mating surfaces for me. Now I'm looking for a cylinder. Will the same range of cylinders (99-'21) work on my cases using all other parts from a '16?
chad_111
1/20/2022 11:38am
Everything from your motor will bolt in or onto the 99+ cases with the exception of the neutral indicator, which I believe was added in the...
Everything from your motor will bolt in or onto the 99+ cases with the exception of the neutral indicator, which I believe was added in the US around 2010. Bike runs fine without it, there are even aftermarket block off kits for the late model YZs to eliminate it.

The rear swing arm bushings will need to be enlarged ever so slightly when using a 99-01 motor to fit into the 02-21 bikes with the larger swingarm pivot bolt. If you have a drill press, easy to accomplish in a couple of minutes. There is plenty of material in the bushing to allow this. You can't simply swap the bushings, as the outside diameter of the 02+ bushings is larger than the outside diameter of the 99-01 bushings. This is really the only thing you need to do, and it isn't a big deal.

Only other significant changes to the bottom end (and they don't affect the use of the early cases on late model bikes) was the crank and kickstarter shaft. The crank used a different taper on the flywheel side from 99-00, 01-02, and 03 on if I remember correctly. Just need to ensure you use the same gen flywheel that matches the crank. Any year crank with fit in any year case from 99 up.

The inner diameter of the kickstarter shaft didn't change where it fits into the center case, only the outer. So you just need match the outer case to what ever generation kickstarter you already have... ie your kickstarter and outer clutch side cover.. easy.

Bottom line between your cooked motor and an 01, you will have all the parts to put it back together again. I've used multiple 99-01 cases building 02 + motors.

Hello again,

I just want to confirm a few things with you guys before I order my new crank, bearings etc and start putting this thing back together. What I've ended up with is crank cases, cylinder, cylinder head, and power valve off of 99 model yz 250's that are in pretty good shape. Other than those pieces, will EVERYTHING transfer over from my '16? Including bearings, gaskets, seals, piston, etc etc. I'm gonna be ordering all new crank, piston, transmission bearings etc, am I ok just ordering everything for the '16 model year and expecting them to fit? I'm aware of the swingarm bushing and neutral switch, any other differences that I can expect along the way?

Thanks again!
1/20/2022 1:45pm
No other differences. Just make sure you order the crank of the same gen of the flywheel you use, I assume the the one out of your 16.

Are your transmission bearings roached out after inspecting? I generally get significantly more hours out of mine than I see with the main bearings. Mains always get replaced with the crank, but transmission bearings always seem to last a long time. That's just a perspective of a middle aged offroad guy, fast young MX guy might have a different experience.

There appears to be a significant difference between oem bearings, seals, and gaskets... which I tend to use over some of the cheaper aftermarket parts or wrench rabbit kits. They certainly work and some folks are happy, but if I'm investing the time to rebuild I go oem for those. Just me, your experience my vary.

Good luck with your rebuild.
chad_111
1/20/2022 2:11pm
No other differences. Just make sure you order the crank of the same gen of the flywheel you use, I assume the the one out of...
No other differences. Just make sure you order the crank of the same gen of the flywheel you use, I assume the the one out of your 16.

Are your transmission bearings roached out after inspecting? I generally get significantly more hours out of mine than I see with the main bearings. Mains always get replaced with the crank, but transmission bearings always seem to last a long time. That's just a perspective of a middle aged offroad guy, fast young MX guy might have a different experience.

There appears to be a significant difference between oem bearings, seals, and gaskets... which I tend to use over some of the cheaper aftermarket parts or wrench rabbit kits. They certainly work and some folks are happy, but if I'm investing the time to rebuild I go oem for those. Just me, your experience my vary.

The bearings in the replacement cases I got do need to be replaced and a couple of the ones in my '16 cases are feeling rough as well so instead of trying to swap em over am just going to go with all new ones. Thanks for your help!
chad_111
2/18/2022 8:10pm
No other differences. Just make sure you order the crank of the same gen of the flywheel you use, I assume the the one out of...

have you found that using an older cylinder with different porting effected the jetting at all?

Post a reply to: 01 yz250 motor into alum frame?

The Latest