plasta diped wheels?

slatermx
Edited Date/Time 4/15/2014 10:28pm
Im seeing people with plasta diped wheels. What do you have to to? Do you make it buy it. Is it easy? And is easy to do?
|
Paw Paw 271
3/27/2014 7:32pm
I have seen them on some auto wheels, but not any bike wheels.
Wandell
3/27/2014 8:00pm
Plastidip is basically a rubber spray paint. It is available in aerosol cans at Lowes, Home Depot, Wal Mart, etc. You don't have to do much prep work. Just clean, mask and spray with no sanding. If you don't like it, or want to change colors, just peel it off. I havn't seen anyone do dirt bike wheels but I've seen it don't to a lot of car and truck wheels.
slatermx
3/27/2014 8:14pm
Wandell wrote:
Plastidip is basically a rubber spray paint. It is available in aerosol cans at Lowes, Home Depot, Wal Mart, etc. You don't have to do much...
Plastidip is basically a rubber spray paint. It is available in aerosol cans at Lowes, Home Depot, Wal Mart, etc. You don't have to do much prep work. Just clean, mask and spray with no sanding. If you don't like it, or want to change colors, just peel it off. I havn't seen anyone do dirt bike wheels but I've seen it don't to a lot of car and truck wheels.
I'll right thanks
mxBryan
3/28/2014 1:28am
I know this stuff but never used it..
But i think it will peel off when high pressure cleaning the wheels after a muddy ride ? i don't know the quality of it.
But definitely worth trying.
Honestly i don't think it will last for years..

The Shop

Paw Paw 271
3/28/2014 2:08am
It is mostly used to protect expensive wheels in the winter up north in the snow, ice and salt conditions.
3/28/2014 5:26am
Tried it and it doesn't last near as long as I hoped it would. The rear wheel immediately began to chip away around the edges of the rim near the tire, and I eventually had to peel it completely off after 3 rides do to a big chip forming. The front wheel on the other hand held up pretty good but I don't recommend you doing it at all.
slatermx
3/28/2014 7:33am
Tried it and it doesn't last near as long as I hoped it would. The rear wheel immediately began to chip away around the edges of...
Tried it and it doesn't last near as long as I hoped it would. The rear wheel immediately began to chip away around the edges of the rim near the tire, and I eventually had to peel it completely off after 3 rides do to a big chip forming. The front wheel on the other hand held up pretty good but I don't recommend you doing it at all.
What if you do more then one layer?
Grizz
3/28/2014 9:03am
Not to mention you don't want to add weight to a rotating mass. I know it's not much, but when the wheel is rotating, it can alter the bikes handling even just the slightest bit.
3/28/2014 11:56am
Grizz wrote:
Not to mention you don't want to add weight to a rotating mass. I know it's not much, but when the wheel is rotating, it can...
Not to mention you don't want to add weight to a rotating mass. I know it's not much, but when the wheel is rotating, it can alter the bikes handling even just the slightest bit.
Trust me when I say this stuff is extremely light and wont effect it at all. When I peeled the dip off the rear rim, it was basically weightless. But it doesn't last so I honestly wouldn't recommend it
alexmorris319
4/15/2014 10:28pm

I tried it and this is how they turned out.. 3 coats on each rim with two coats of clear coat over them. It held up good with the clear coat and actually decently kept its shine but you have to be careful washing them so you don't rip off the paint with a pressure washer. I just sprayed from the hub out to the tire so it would peel the paint off from the bead. peeled it off after I broke my wrist and both rims pealed off clean with no residue or anything. not the most practical way to paint your rims but it was cool to have black rims for awhile and it only cost me about $20. Hope this helps at all.

Post a reply to: plasta diped wheels?

The Latest