advantages of mirrored goggles lenses?

nwmx
Edited Date/Time 3/14/2012 12:34pm
Advantages and disadvantages? More specifically late in the day, shadows on jump faces, do these do anything for that?
|
pCp 252
Fantasy
2530th
3/12/2012 7:36pm
A mirrored lens blocks and reflects light coming into your eyes on sunny days. Very helpful on afternoon days when the sun is shining the brightest. The disadvantages are just that; they let less light come in so when it's getting dark out vision will be compromised. So you don't want to wear a mirrored lens on an overcast day or when their is less light.

Different colored lens' can bring out shadows, increase contrast, and offer better depth perception. Yellow and amber non mirrored lens' work best for this.
kippy450
3/12/2012 9:12pm
I freakin love my Smith amber mirrored lens. There is no better lens for the sun..perfect for summer days. Not good during bad over cast weather or cloudy days. When its super over-cast I use my orange lens....help brighten things up.
tylerthetrex
3/13/2012 7:57am
I ride with Xbrand sets for both practice and race. I don't notice all that much difference on the cloudy days but clear lens would be preferred. As mentioned above they help with excessive light and from what I've experienced they even reduce glare.

The one negative thing I would say is that the lens scratch easily and require a delicate cleaning process if you run out of tear offs. Easily solved by wearing 2-3 lens on dusty days and 4-7 on muddy days (applies to 7 lap races).
SteveS
3/13/2012 8:06am
Girls can't see when you're staring at them....

The Shop

moore433
3/13/2012 8:13am
I love the orange lenses also.
I used to hear that the yellow lenses were great for night races. I wore a pair for 1 moto at Village Creek mx 1 night and let me tell you, the yellow 1 was great except for 1 small thing, hay bales are yellow! I must of run over every hay bale on the track that moto. Try and dive into a turn too tight and couldn't see the hay bales at all till it felt like I was in a bad ass whoop section!!!
tylerthetrex
3/13/2012 8:37am
moore433 wrote:
I love the orange lenses also. I used to hear that the yellow lenses were great for night races. I wore a pair for 1 moto...
I love the orange lenses also.
I used to hear that the yellow lenses were great for night races. I wore a pair for 1 moto at Village Creek mx 1 night and let me tell you, the yellow 1 was great except for 1 small thing, hay bales are yellow! I must of run over every hay bale on the track that moto. Try and dive into a turn too tight and couldn't see the hay bales at all till it felt like I was in a bad ass whoop section!!!
Should have mention and moore433 thankfully reminded me. Color selection is key. If you want to get precise, Blue for mud, Yellow for clay or dust, Red is a good medium and exceptional for clay but lacks in mud. Not that big of a deal but if you have problems like moore433 did then I would start 'color coordinating'
210mx
3/13/2012 9:50am
I sort of agree with tylerthetrex. Polarized lenses are ok, but i would avoid "amber" colored ones - even at night. They crisp everything up, but they screw with your depth perception. I personally use the gray polarized or "clear'.

Gary "the professor" Baily told us at his school that Jeremy McGrath wore polarized lenses for the "psyche" factor - you couldn't see his eyes, so you couldn't read his face. Plus they look pretty cool. LOL
CRF505
3/13/2012 9:53am
SteveS wrote:
Girls can't see when you're staring at them....
X2! Cool
DirtGirl164
3/14/2012 9:49am
I rode with mirrored lenses during the day when I lived in California and Florida. They were a lifesaver when it was high noon and the sun was beaming right down on the track. At night though, I'd switch over to clear lenses. If it was a cloudy day, I would wear orange and those worked really well.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
3/14/2012 12:34pm
The cool factor alone is worth it!

Post a reply to: advantages of mirrored goggles lenses?

The Latest