Who does best 2 Stroke porting?

tyler285
12/9/2015 6:51pm Edited Date/Time 1/8/2016 7:57am
I have a 03 RM 125 and I am wanting some porting done to my cylinder and my head recut? Who does the best wor on the RM's?
|
RyanLester761
12/10/2015 10:11am
jbonemotorworks, see above thread
Can you give me the title of the "above thread"? The threads will jump around and refresh based on the latest entry. I don't know where to look. Thanks!

Ryan
brocsdad
12/10/2015 2:57pm
Terry Varner does great work!
KTMShane699
12/10/2015 3:20pm
jbonemotorworks, see above thread
This! JBone is the man. It's the KTM 150 thread.

And I'm going to be lucky enough to ride it!!!

Shane

The Shop

cmotodad
12/12/2015 8:58pm
Dean Dickinson is the man behind R&D Racing now. I think he even did the porting and head work when Rudy was still alive. Great people, Great work.
markit
12/13/2015 11:56am
I had Eric gorr do mine.
captmoto
12/14/2015 10:07pm Edited Date/Time 12/14/2015 10:08pm
"Best" is relative t your riding style, skill and type of tracks you ride. Call around and discuss. Once you lay your money down you will have to be satisfied since you own it.
Gorr,
Ken O'connor
Tom Morgan Racing
Pro Circuit and so many more. Talk to the local guys and see what they can do.
google is your friend.
brocsdad
12/15/2015 8:26am
captmoto wrote:
"Best" is relative t your riding style, skill and type of tracks you ride. Call around and discuss. Once you lay your money down you will...
"Best" is relative t your riding style, skill and type of tracks you ride. Call around and discuss. Once you lay your money down you will have to be satisfied since you own it.
Gorr,
Ken O'connor
Tom Morgan Racing
Pro Circuit and so many more. Talk to the local guys and see what they can do.
google is your friend.
Gorr basically cleans the ports up and I have heard many mixed results.
PC will make the bike faster but you will get a cookie cutter port job, If Mitch was porting the cylinder himself it would be awesome but he is not doing the work.
Tom Morgan - Heard nothing but good things!
I don't know really anything about Ken O' Connor

My sons motor is at Terry Varners and the guy is a legendary motor builder.

Another Option would be TDC 2-stroke Performance. He is procey but I have head nothing but good things about his work.

Good Luck!
Joko
Fantasy
239th
12/15/2015 9:37am
Watts Perfections?
WileCyot
12/15/2015 11:23am
Is he known for CR500 porting? Looking to make a bike that would terrify the great open class riders of yesteryear.
Joko
Fantasy
239th
12/15/2015 4:53pm
Tom Morgan would probably be the best for Cr500 mods
RCN4HIM
12/23/2015 10:50am

Call Brent ASAP he does only 2strokes and is the builder of many amateur racers bikes, has a dyno and will do before and after dynos if you'd like!

http://www.tdc2strokeperformance.com/
lumpy790
12/24/2015 7:04am Edited Date/Time 12/24/2015 7:23am
Barrs Competition in Shelby NC is 5.5 hours from you

When I built a 96 RM125 the head and Carb bore really brought it to life!
Jakes Dad
12/24/2015 6:40pm
Brent at TDC 2 Stroke has acquired data from from builders all over the world. He then has put his own programs together and applied to US MX 2 stroke motors. He'll take a competitor's motor tune it to it's best numbers on his dyno. Then put his work into it and always adds 3+hp on 85's and more on supermini's. All work dyno proven and a lot of times customers are there to see it for themselves. It takes time and it takes money but the numbers speak for themselves.
12/24/2015 6:44pm
I can't hold it in any longer. Sorry, Slip! Slip at Roth Racing works magic with porting! He turned my YZ into a monster, a rocket, a beast! It goes absolutely ballistic around mid-range and then revs out until my eyes are bleeding.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
2109th
12/25/2015 4:55am
lumpy790 wrote:

X2 Bobby is the man! Built 2 badass 2 bangers for us!
MX Dad #27
Fantasy
497th
12/25/2015 9:24am
Eric Gorr most reliable most reasonable.
Everyone else I talked to when I asked about reliability they all started out like this "Well....."
When I asked Eric, he asked how my maintenance was, I told him pretty good. He told me "Good as stock Shawn".
brocsdad
1/3/2016 9:21pm
lumpy790 wrote:

sgrimmxdad wrote:
X2 Bobby is the man! Built 2 badass 2 bangers for us!
Bobby Barr does great work and he built Stanton's CR 500.
captmoto
1/4/2016 9:25pm
brocsdad wrote:
Gorr basically cleans the ports up and I have heard many mixed results. PC will make the bike faster but you will get a cookie cutter...
PC will make the bike faster but you will get a cookie cutter port job, If Mitch was porting the cylinder himself it would be awesome but he is not doing the work.

Another Option would be TDC 2-stroke Performance. He is procey but I have head nothing but good things about his work.

Good Luck!
PC's port specs are not just pulled out of their ass. I really don't think any of the companies mentioned were. They all probably have similar philosophies. Mitch could probably pick up the grinder and give a real fire breather but are you willing to ring it every ride or do a top end every other race? No, I believe all the tuners do their best to give the best performance to reliability ratio they can. I believe they all shoot for filling in the holes in each brands power band.
Nobody has come out and said so and so sucks. Unless you get the same bikes with different tuners into a head to head shoot out we will never know. And then all the personal preferences will likely end up in a draw.
The OP never said what he was looking for in power delivery, it sounds like he just wants a ported bike.
brocsdad
1/4/2016 9:33pm
brocsdad wrote:
Gorr basically cleans the ports up and I have heard many mixed results. PC will make the bike faster but you will get a cookie cutter...

Good Luck!
captmoto wrote:
PC's port specs are not just pulled out of their ass. I really don't think any of the companies mentioned were. They all probably have similar...
PC's port specs are not just pulled out of their ass. I really don't think any of the companies mentioned were. They all probably have similar philosophies. Mitch could probably pick up the grinder and give a real fire breather but are you willing to ring it every ride or do a top end every other race? No, I believe all the tuners do their best to give the best performance to reliability ratio they can. I believe they all shoot for filling in the holes in each brands power band.
Nobody has come out and said so and so sucks. Unless you get the same bikes with different tuners into a head to head shoot out we will never know. And then all the personal preferences will likely end up in a draw.
The OP never said what he was looking for in power delivery, it sounds like he just wants a ported bike.
Yes but you are not going to get the attention to detail at PC because the techs are doing the work. I want to talk to the guy who is actually porting the cylinder. There is a difference because I have personally used or ridden the tuners bikes for comparison.

Terry Varners work is really clean and the HP gains are huge.
Lucky13FIST
1/4/2016 10:19pm Edited Date/Time 1/6/2016 4:26pm
Call up Pro Circuit and ask for Mitch. Tell him you want some porting done. BOOM!
1/5/2016 3:55am
I would have PC do it. Tech or not, you don't stay in business doing poor quality work.
1/5/2016 4:28am
I had pc do a yz250 cylinder for me a a couple years back and it wasn't impressive at all, ive had a lot of modded 2strokes with porting/head work done and the best ive had where mike Rossini (rrp racing) and jbonemotorworks. ive had pr2, pc,tom morgan, I believe pc probably does make some amazing motors, but their for the race team or fast locals lol, in all seriousness the tech at pc at the time was a serious stoner, if I lived closer (im in nj) I would of loved to go their and have a conversation with him, im no genious but I felt like one after talking to him.no worries im jealous I wish I could be stoned all day too.
Markopolo400
1/5/2016 6:47am
It' s too bad that Moto814 isn't doing engine work anymore. He built a YZ125 engine for me that was incredible.
brocsdad
1/7/2016 11:47am
I would have PC do it. Tech or not, you don't stay in business doing poor quality work.
They stay in business beacuse they make great pipes, t-shirts and some aftermarket items. Not to mentin they sponsor some of the top talent.

I had a motor built by PC back in the 90's and it was slightly faster than stock.

murph783
1/8/2016 7:57am
I've always felt that the guy who's willing to put the work in with you will pretty much always give you the best results. The more they're willing to get to know you as a rider, and what you like, the better the end result. There's a bunch of guys out there that can hop on the flow bench and dyno and build a monster, but if you aren't going to be able to use the power, who cares how much there is? That being said, someone who's well versed in what they do and not afraid to say hey quit being stupid and try this and see what it does to your laptimes can be very beneficial lol

Post a reply to: Who does best 2 Stroke porting?

The Latest