Which 450 would you buy and why?

KFW
3/26/2016 9:25am Edited Date/Time 4/6/2016 10:38am
I'm looking at buying a 450. I've got a YZ125 and 250 but l'm looking at trying the four stroke generation. Rode about 20 laps of a coule friends YZ450 and liked the traction and limited gear shifting. I know the YZ is reliable but not stellar at turning. I've looked at a few YZ450 post 2014 models.

Looking for input
|
Idaho747
3/26/2016 10:16am
Well this is my opinion. I would go with the one that handles the best. People will tell you what one they think does but that's ultimately up to you. It's a lot easier to make a bike fast than to make a bike handle well.
lumpy790
3/26/2016 11:10am
KTM 450SXF-FE
KFW
3/26/2016 6:16pm
Idaho747 wrote:
Well this is my opinion. I would go with the one that handles the best. People will tell you what one they think does but that's...
Well this is my opinion. I would go with the one that handles the best. People will tell you what one they think does but that's ultimately up to you. It's a lot easier to make a bike fast than to make a bike handle well.
I agree, smoother and control is faster than fast and sketchy.
KFW
3/26/2016 6:18pm
lumpy790 wrote:
KTM 450SXF-FE
Off, I don't see any of them at the local tracks I go. Maybe it's the cost factor or the WP suspension that don't make them as popular .....

The Shop

walent215
3/26/2016 6:42pm
lumpy790 wrote:
KTM 450SXF-FE
this ^^^ rode one today and it was amazing.....also rode a 2016 yz 450f...ktm is far superior!
3/26/2016 6:46pm
lumpy790 wrote:
KTM 450SXF-FE
KFW wrote:
Off, I don't see any of them at the local tracks I go. Maybe it's the cost factor or the WP suspension that don't make them...
Off, I don't see any of them at the local tracks I go. Maybe it's the cost factor or the WP suspension that don't make them as popular .....
People who dump on the 4cs forks repeat what the internet told them to. SSS is not the end all be all to suspension, tuned WP suspension to your abilities, style, and preference are good enough for 99% of riders.

By all means go with what you feel most comfortable on, but the hating on 4CS forks is consistent garbage shitposting that gets repeated ad nauseaum but nobody seems to have experience with.
walent215
3/26/2016 6:53pm
lumpy790 wrote:
KTM 450SXF-FE
KFW wrote:
Off, I don't see any of them at the local tracks I go. Maybe it's the cost factor or the WP suspension that don't make them...
People who dump on the 4cs forks repeat what the internet told them to. SSS is not the end all be all to suspension, tuned WP...
People who dump on the 4cs forks repeat what the internet told them to. SSS is not the end all be all to suspension, tuned WP suspension to your abilities, style, and preference are good enough for 99% of riders.

By all means go with what you feel most comfortable on, but the hating on 4CS forks is consistent garbage shitposting that gets repeated ad nauseaum but nobody seems to have experience with.
the fe has air forks!
KFW
3/26/2016 7:24pm
lumpy790 wrote:
KTM 450SXF-FE
KFW wrote:
People who dump on the 4cs forks repeat what the internet told them to. SSS is not the end all be all to suspension, tuned WP...

I'd agree, you tend to believe what you read when it's consistent whether accurate or not. Hell I'm just trying to get feedback on what everyone likes based on their bike or past bikes. I take it KTM is yours?
Meister
3/27/2016 5:57pm
Man, I've had a lot of 450s. I currently own a 16 KTM 450.. I've owned crfs until 08. Then rmz's. Then a 14 yz. 15 KTM 250 smoker. This KTM Trump's them all. My bike has an fmf on it, stock gearing, stock 4cs suspension (for now). This thing is the most powerful bike I've had. Not just powerful, but it's completely usable power. I can throw it around almost as easily as my 250 I had last year. I feel once I put the right springs in, set the sag, adjust a few clickers, I'll be as happy with this as I was the "holy Grail" SSS stuff. Probably better honestly. It's an awesome package. You don't NEED an FE to get an awesome package, but if you can afford it, well damnit, do it!

Jrewing
3/28/2016 2:18am
Tm450 just love them... But the best would be to add a K to the Tm450.
They just hook up and go. All the ones I've seen go faster than me! Haha
KFW
3/28/2016 5:09am
Meister wrote:
Man, I've had a lot of 450s. I currently own a 16 KTM 450.. I've owned crfs until 08. Then rmz's. Then a 14 yz. 15...
Man, I've had a lot of 450s. I currently own a 16 KTM 450.. I've owned crfs until 08. Then rmz's. Then a 14 yz. 15 KTM 250 smoker. This KTM Trump's them all. My bike has an fmf on it, stock gearing, stock 4cs suspension (for now). This thing is the most powerful bike I've had. Not just powerful, but it's completely usable power. I can throw it around almost as easily as my 250 I had last year. I feel once I put the right springs in, set the sag, adjust a few clickers, I'll be as happy with this as I was the "holy Grail" SSS stuff. Probably better honestly. It's an awesome package. You don't NEED an FE to get an awesome package, but if you can afford it, well damnit, do it!

Thanks for the input Meister! That's exactly the input I was looking for.

Curious, what did you like/dislike between the Jap bikes? How and why would you rate them? I assume the YZ first with the SSS comment?

Dude, that's a badass looking bike!
lumpy790
3/28/2016 9:46am
Meister wrote:
Man, I've had a lot of 450s. I currently own a 16 KTM 450.. I've owned crfs until 08. Then rmz's. Then a 14 yz. 15...

I rode a friends 2016 Husky 450 .... Big mistake! Silly

My 08 YZ450F was good enough for me ... till I rode that bike! IF you do not want one ..... Do not ever ride one .... They are that good!

I was planning on buying a new Husky when I stumbled on a 2015.5 Factory Edition with 15 hours on Craig's list....when I went to text him discovered he was one of my sponsored riders ..... and he even delivered it! Plus ... We already had the 15.5 FE hoses! Both 15.5 FE hoses fit that year only.

Meister
3/28/2016 3:29pm
Meister wrote:

KFW wrote:
Thanks for the input Meister! That's exactly the input I was looking for. Curious, what did you like/dislike between the Jap bikes? How and why would...

Curious, what did you like/dislike between the Jap bikes? How and why would you rate them? I assume the YZ first with the SSS comment?

Just between the Jap bikes? I don't really have a fair comparison in the fact that the last crf I owned was an 08. At that time, I felt that bike was in a league of its own, much like I feel about the KTM now. I picked up an rmz for a steal. I liked it, but it felt heavy. I never completely tuned the suspension so my views are skewed a hair. I wasn't one who felt the rmz was a turn track killer. Assuming had I worked the suspension, I may have thought differently.. Up until this KTM, the yz was the fastest 450 I've ever had (and I've had a few built race bikes from Baldwin Motorsports.).. The suspension was OK. When I had that, in 14, I was a fat ass. It handled all the big jumps but I couldn't get that thing to corner. That was until I put mx52s on it, whole different bike with tires alone. She did have that real wide feeling though. Then, got another bug to get back to my 2 stroke roots. I "digger tuned" that bike and had an absolute blast on it! Being bigger (I'm down to 215 now), I decided if I wanted to try for lorettas in +30, I could benefit from extra ponies that a 450 offers. As much as I love my new 450, I look forward to obtaining another 2 stroke after the lorettas stuff 100% for fun.. So this bike will be for sale after August.. Lol

Meister
3/28/2016 3:30pm
PS, lumpy, wanna put some moto hose love on this lorettas whip? Lol
3/28/2016 5:39pm
KFW wrote:
I'm looking at buying a 450. I've got a YZ125 and 250 but l'm looking at trying the four stroke generation. Rode about 20 laps of...
I'm looking at buying a 450. I've got a YZ125 and 250 but l'm looking at trying the four stroke generation. Rode about 20 laps of a coule friends YZ450 and liked the traction and limited gear shifting. I know the YZ is reliable but not stellar at turning. I've looked at a few YZ450 post 2014 models.

Looking for input
I might be biased but KTM all the way. If you are racing the e-start is a god send. Turns intuititiveley and super agile. Down side is the forks but there is solutions to this dilemma plus the 2017 will come with the new AER fork. My second pick would be the yz450f, solid and reliable bike with exceptional suspension
KFW
3/28/2016 6:49pm
Meister wrote:

KFW wrote:
Thanks for the input Meister! That's exactly the input I was looking for. Curious, what did you like/dislike between the Jap bikes? How and why would...

Meister wrote:
Just between the Jap bikes? I don't really have a fair comparison in the fact that the last crf I owned was an 08. At that...
Just between the Jap bikes? I don't really have a fair comparison in the fact that the last crf I owned was an 08. At that time, I felt that bike was in a league of its own, much like I feel about the KTM now. I picked up an rmz for a steal. I liked it, but it felt heavy. I never completely tuned the suspension so my views are skewed a hair. I wasn't one who felt the rmz was a turn track killer. Assuming had I worked the suspension, I may have thought differently.. Up until this KTM, the yz was the fastest 450 I've ever had (and I've had a few built race bikes from Baldwin Motorsports.).. The suspension was OK. When I had that, in 14, I was a fat ass. It handled all the big jumps but I couldn't get that thing to corner. That was until I put mx52s on it, whole different bike with tires alone. She did have that real wide feeling though. Then, got another bug to get back to my 2 stroke roots. I "digger tuned" that bike and had an absolute blast on it! Being bigger (I'm down to 215 now), I decided if I wanted to try for lorettas in +30, I could benefit from extra ponies that a 450 offers. As much as I love my new 450, I look forward to obtaining another 2 stroke after the lorettas stuff 100% for fun.. So this bike will be for sale after August.. Lol

Hey thanks for the time on the input.....it really helps. Interesting that the 52's made that big of difference?? Strong air for a fat ass! Awesome shot! I'm looking at the jap bikes only because not much selection with the KTM on Craig's list in my area. From what I've read the Yamaha seemed to fit for what I was looking for but you can't always believe what you read with magazines. Thanks again.
adam8781
3/28/2016 9:35pm Edited Date/Time 3/28/2016 9:36pm
Heres what i think so far

kxf- loved it, its a B+ in every category or higher, I might buy one, things rip

yzf- amazing bike, best suspension period, ergonomics are a bit fatter and taller, great choice great motor

rmz- handles well, feels cheap (to me) brakes and motor suck, still just a 2008 rmz450 with updates

crf, i owned a 2014, things that need tobe fixxed right off the floor, front brake, gearing, clutch, pipe, remap, i sold it and dont miss it. ergonomics was the best of any bike i have ever ridden

ktm and husky i cant comment to much, i havent ridden the newest ones

if it was my wallet, kxf, yzf would be at the top, the sss suspension on the yzf is a cut above everyone else And the kxf is the best rounded machine IMO.
KFW
3/29/2016 10:33am
adam8781 wrote:
Heres what i think so far kxf- loved it, its a B+ in every category or higher, I might buy one, things rip yzf- amazing bike...
Heres what i think so far

kxf- loved it, its a B+ in every category or higher, I might buy one, things rip

yzf- amazing bike, best suspension period, ergonomics are a bit fatter and taller, great choice great motor

rmz- handles well, feels cheap (to me) brakes and motor suck, still just a 2008 rmz450 with updates

crf, i owned a 2014, things that need tobe fixxed right off the floor, front brake, gearing, clutch, pipe, remap, i sold it and dont miss it. ergonomics was the best of any bike i have ever ridden

ktm and husky i cant comment to much, i havent ridden the newest ones

if it was my wallet, kxf, yzf would be at the top, the sss suspension on the yzf is a cut above everyone else And the kxf is the best rounded machine IMO.
Damn...Great input Adam. I knew there had to be rich people out there that has ridden damn near every bike with great insight. Nothing slack about those Canadians! I love the exchange rate to US too!! Really do appreciate the insight/input as it's BIG help.

Unfortunately, not many KTM's available in my area and YZ sounds like a solid choice. I use to be a Kawi guy 24 yrs back but a lot has changed. Hell back then Honda was king! Thx again
BobPA
3/29/2016 3:50pm
Kawi or KTM

Yamaha's feel gigantic to me, their 250f is great....but the 450 mays well be a walrus
lumpy790
3/29/2016 8:25pm
Meister wrote:
PS, lumpy, wanna put some moto hose love on this lorettas whip? Lol
We accept resumes for sponsorship for 3 months from After Lorettas in August to October 31'st.
adam8781
3/30/2016 2:21pm
KFW wrote:
Damn...Great input Adam. I knew there had to be rich people out there that has ridden damn near every bike with great insight. Nothing slack about...
Damn...Great input Adam. I knew there had to be rich people out there that has ridden damn near every bike with great insight. Nothing slack about those Canadians! I love the exchange rate to US too!! Really do appreciate the insight/input as it's BIG help.

Unfortunately, not many KTM's available in my area and YZ sounds like a solid choice. I use to be a Kawi guy 24 yrs back but a lot has changed. Hell back then Honda was king! Thx again
If you can come to terms with tye yzf ergos go blue. The one i tried last year had a few hours on it, tall bars and funky pegs for size 14 feet, I have size 14 feet and i thought the longer shifter was dumb. but its a tall riding bike thats thick in the legs. The suspension is amazing, i ride a done up yz250 now and its amazing.

The kxfs i tried are both 2014s i think one stock one heavily done up, loved them both right off the bat.

I need suspension work on anything i own for racing because im 210 lbs, if you are less than 200lbs you could ride a box stock yzf. The kxf is a bit softer, The done up one i rode (hes a member on here) is setup for a 200lb guy and it was awesome.
3/30/2016 3:55pm
If I had unlimited resources I'd go with a new KTM in a heartbeat, they are doing it right and have really outpaced the Japanese brands. If you are on a budget or going used I'd find the cleanest most lightly used 450 and fix the quirks of that brand. All the modern 450's have issues but are all good platforms, each needs help in one way or another but all are good bikes.
KFW
3/30/2016 8:09pm
Man I can't thank those enough who took the time to type some true feedback!

To summarizes the input, KTM, Yamaha or Kawi depending preference and skill topped the feedback.

I bought a YZ450f today that was sent to JGR to redo the suspension for my weight (185) as the previous rider was 155lbs and they took it to JGR when the bought the bike 8/15. I got a spare set of warp 9 wheels with tires, GYTR power tuner, new clutch plates installed and 3 sprockets thrown in the deal

I'm super pumped about the deal and being able to turn some laps on it but honestly can't stop thinking that I may check the Kawi in 6-8 months......
adam8781
3/30/2016 11:45pm
KFW wrote:
Man I can't thank those enough who took the time to type some true feedback! To summarizes the input, KTM, Yamaha or Kawi depending preference and...
Man I can't thank those enough who took the time to type some true feedback!

To summarizes the input, KTM, Yamaha or Kawi depending preference and skill topped the feedback.

I bought a YZ450f today that was sent to JGR to redo the suspension for my weight (185) as the previous rider was 155lbs and they took it to JGR when the bought the bike 8/15. I got a spare set of warp 9 wheels with tires, GYTR power tuner, new clutch plates installed and 3 sprockets thrown in the deal

I'm super pumped about the deal and being able to turn some laps on it but honestly can't stop thinking that I may check the Kawi in 6-8 months......
pics pics pics
mx37
3/31/2016 10:03am
If you're giving serious consideration to the YZ450, make sure to ride one with the Cycra powerflow shrouds - I just put them on my 15 and they DO make a pretty noticeable difference - bike is much more narrow.

Just FYI.
KFW
4/1/2016 11:48am
mx37 wrote:
If you're giving serious consideration to the YZ450, make sure to ride one with the Cycra powerflow shrouds - I just put them on my 15...
If you're giving serious consideration to the YZ450, make sure to ride one with the Cycra powerflow shrouds - I just put them on my 15 and they DO make a pretty noticeable difference - bike is much more narrow.

Just FYI.
Thanks dude, I had no idea. It has Cycra but not sure if power shrouds??? How would I tell?
mx37
4/1/2016 11:52am
mx37 wrote:
If you're giving serious consideration to the YZ450, make sure to ride one with the Cycra powerflow shrouds - I just put them on my 15...

Just FYI.
KFW wrote:
Thanks dude, I had no idea. It has Cycra but not sure if power shrouds??? How would I tell?
I'm not sure if they're all the same, but mine have these red plastic inserts behind the shrouds that direct airflow.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2511th
4/1/2016 4:17pm
i havent ridden a ktm since my 03 125 so i cant comment on those. what i have recently ridden was a:
'10yz450f
09 kx450
06 kx450 (own this)
10 rmz450.

the 09 kx had the best motor but it had that heavy planted feel, flat turns i felt i had to fight it

the yz just straight felt funky, granted this was only for a 2-3 LAPS

but the rmz worked on every corner and power was less than kx but good enough for mortals, the biggest thing is i was immediately comfortable on it.

even with all this said i would give a new KTM a solid thought. they are much lighter, more power and electric start. even with Kawi making weight losses i wouldnt waste time, KTM is just killin it right now
KFW
4/2/2016 12:30pm
Thanks again for all the really great input out there! I couldn't spring for new and KTM's used are scarce in my area. The Kawi vs Yamaha was tough but since I have a 125&250 two stroke I chose the YZF so here's the 2015 450 on the ride home last night from JGR after they rebuilt the suspension. It's not the best taken care of bike but the price was too good with all the extras and low hrs so I'll be giving it some TLC and refresh the skins, bolts, sprocket etc. Being a two stroke only guy I woke up this morning and went to fire it up and couldn't find the petcock anywhere and then I remembered...,damn I got fuel injection! So I'll be hitting you guys up for 450 advice!!

Post a reply to: Which 450 would you buy and why?

The Latest