Where To Send YZ250 Engine?

Anonymous (not verified)
Edited Date/Time 1/4/2014 6:59pm
OK, gang, let's hear your opinions. I want it ported and they may as well put a ring in it and run a hone through it while they have it. I'd also like them to split the cases and make sure everything is good and replace any worn parts, etc.

If you'll remember my last post here, you will see I've complained of late about the bike jumping into neutral on rare occasions. I rode WW Ranch this past Saturday and it only did it once, and I'm almost sure it was my giant foot.

I've seen some opinions here about Eric Gorr that seem very positive. I sent them an e-mail over a week ago and have yet to hear back from them. It was a pretty simple e-mail that told them what I was looking for and could they give me a ballpark figure. Not responding sort of turns me off, but I do know that folks get busy during the Christmas season. Still though, over a week is plenty of time to at least say, "We're very busy, but want your business. Please allow us X days to get back with you."

OK, let's hear what you all got to say. Sell me on somebody.
|
1/2/2014 11:23am
Jake's Dad, you're always good to me. Thanks. Your link is not working - at least for me. Also, looked for you at WW on Saturday, but didn't see a white van or the number plate you noted.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
1/2/2014 12:41pm
What year YZ250? What is your age/size/skill level? Just wondering how you like the bike now (stock) and what you are hoping to gain by porting it.

The Shop

1/2/2014 12:42pm
Thanks, Crash. I did a search earlier and found them. Though I really respect and appreciate Jake's Dad's input, I'm still hoping for some other folks to weigh in. I want a range of possibilities.
1/2/2014 12:49pm
FGR01 wrote:
What year YZ250? What is your age/size/skill level? Just wondering how you like the bike now (stock) and what you are hoping to gain by porting...
What year YZ250? What is your age/size/skill level? Just wondering how you like the bike now (stock) and what you are hoping to gain by porting it.
FGR, it is a 2013. I'm 52 and ride at a "B" level on lap one and maybe into lap 2. By lap 3 I'm riding C. By lap 5, if I'm still able to breathe, I'm a noob beginner.

I'd like to see more mid-range punch. Having said that, let me just tell you that it really does not need anything. I just want to do it because I can. I'm out to build the perfect beast. I'm currently running the engine stock with the following bolt-ons.

FMF Fatty.
Pro-circuit shorty.
Steahly fly-wheel weight.
V-Force 3 reeds.

Thanks.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
1/2/2014 1:55pm
OK understood. What fuel/oil/ratio are you running? What are your current jetting specs? Also, getting the head modded for squish and compression can make a big difference, especially on the 2011 and newer since Yamaha lowered the compression.
DavidR
1/2/2014 2:17pm
I have a 2009 YZ 250 with an Eric Gorr 295 kit in it with the wider smoother powerband option. I have V force reeds and PC pipe & silencer. The bike is incredibly strong and sounds amazing. I did have some trouble with the first cylinder he sent me though. I bolted it up and it leaked coolant around the base of the cylinder every time I kicked it and wouldn't start. I called him to tell him what was going on with it and he was very nice about the whole thing and apologized for the problems I was having and said to send it back and he would send me a different one. The second one he sent me was flawless, bolted it up and it fired right up. I'm very happy with the performance of his work and the service I received from him.
1/2/2014 2:19pm
I run Base 114 leaded fuel at 32 to 1 with Redline oil. Jetting is back to stock as when I piped and reeded it went really lean. The pilot jet is still one size smaller than stock, but other than that the rest is back to stock jetting and it seems to run really well with that jetting. It was super rich when it was new and I had not bolted anything onto it, so I leaned it out two sizes and dropped the needle all the way.

I've got about 40 hours on it now, and it still requires a full boot to kick it over. It runs great, and everyone that rides it says it is one awesome machine in both power and suspension. Yet, I carry on to build the perfect beast.

Shocked
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
1/2/2014 3:20pm
I run Base 114 leaded fuel at 32 to 1 with Redline oil. Jetting is back to stock as when I piped and reeded it went...
I run Base 114 leaded fuel at 32 to 1 with Redline oil. Jetting is back to stock as when I piped and reeded it went really lean. The pilot jet is still one size smaller than stock, but other than that the rest is back to stock jetting and it seems to run really well with that jetting. It was super rich when it was new and I had not bolted anything onto it, so I leaned it out two sizes and dropped the needle all the way.

I've got about 40 hours on it now, and it still requires a full boot to kick it over. It runs great, and everyone that rides it says it is one awesome machine in both power and suspension. Yet, I carry on to build the perfect beast.

Shocked
OK, sounds like you are about where I am at with my 2006. I bought it used (barely) and have always had the FMF Factory Fatty and Titanium-2 shorty on it so I can't really compare jetting to stock. But I have found that with the pipe and silencer stock jetting is very close to perfect.

When I saw all the crazy-lean jetting that guys on thumpertalk were running I experimented with it just to try. Stock is 50/178 on the pilot and main. These guys are running down in the 42/162-165 range ! I don't know how. I am at elevation and even here their jetting seems ridiculously lean. I tried going to a 48 on the pilot and got the bogs. I tried 172 and 175 mains and it just felt weak and lazy.

The only thing I ended up changing was the needle. Went from the stock N3EJ to the 1/2 clip leaner N3CJ. It really cleaned it up nice and the bike rips. When the temps drop below 60 I put a 180 main in and it still flies.

If I was going to do any porting, I would probably do it on a spare cylinder. The stock engine is really good and most consider it great all around . I've ridden many bikes over the years that were ported by so-called experts and many actually seemed worse than stock. i.e gave up too much bottom to get some top or just had a huge mid-range hit and nothing else. Ultimately less effective on the track.
Jakes Dad
1/2/2014 3:34pm
Harry I left a late post on the other thread. Our 13 year old dog gave us a scare and we had an emergency vet visit that delayed us. All is well so far with the old girl and we'll be coming back up there soon enough. WW is a great place to take Jake!!
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
1/2/2014 3:44pm
I emailed Gorr a while back ago and waited a while for an answer too. When it comes down to it, the ability to tune an engine has no correlation to response time on a computer. He's a legend, and can't go wrong with him
kijen
1/2/2014 4:01pm
Jakes Dad wrote:
www.tdc2strokepeformance.com

815-261-6907 if Brent doesn't answer he's probably got one on the dyno or machining something. He will call you back asap though.
Harry, although I'm running the ERS 325 and very very happy with it, I had a spare cylinder and a couple of heads around and sent them off to Brent at TDC 2 stroke.....just got them back last week, very nice looking and the heads are way different then stock, and the heads EG has done for me in the past.

I talked with Brent for a bit, one smart guy......a bonus of you sending a complete engine to him, he can run it on his dyno, so there is no guessing on what you wanted and what he did....

at some point I will probably send him my 325 cylinder and head to see if he can improve on it....

I 100 percent recommend him.....
1/2/2014 4:20pm
Thanks to you all for your responses. I have plenty of time to make up my mind, but I'll let you all know what I decide and how things turn out.

FGR, I appreciate your informative post. I should probably follow your advice and skip the porting. I could spend that money on getting the crank perfectly balanced and the gears polished.

Jake's Dad, hope the doggy gets better!
MX Dad #27
Fantasy
307th
1/2/2014 4:26pm
MxKing809 wrote:
I emailed Gorr a while back ago and waited a while for an answer too. When it comes down to it, the ability to tune an...
I emailed Gorr a while back ago and waited a while for an answer too. When it comes down to it, the ability to tune an engine has no correlation to response time on a computer. He's a legend, and can't go wrong with him
Eric is awesome! We were never "Out Motored" 3 trips to Loretta's, A Branson National Championship, multiple National track wins and several local Championships. He never talked to me like I was dumb, always explained what he was doing and why.
And how many tuners write books? Eric has written several. Smart, Talented Dude.
JBernard_401
1/2/2014 6:59pm
Tom Morgan ported my kx5 cylinder and did some nice work to the head. I havent got the engine back together to the point where i can comment on the power (like thats going to be an issue, a hi comp racegas kx5, lol) but base SOLELY on visual work and communication Tom is AWESOME. Super super nice guy, responds fast, call him and you get HIM on his cell. turnaround time isnt bad. and the the job he does for you is custom. not 'stage 1, stage 2 stage 3' packages.

http://www.morganracingengines.com/
1/3/2014 7:29am
Keep it coming, guys. I probably should have put this up in "Moto Related" to get some more opinions.

I find it interesting that no one (so far) has said something like, "You just gotta send your engine to Pro-Circuit!"
kijen
1/3/2014 7:55am
Keep it coming, guys. I probably should have put this up in "Moto Related" to get some more opinions. I find it interesting that no one...
Keep it coming, guys. I probably should have put this up in "Moto Related" to get some more opinions.

I find it interesting that no one (so far) has said something like, "You just gotta send your engine to Pro-Circuit!"
well if you were building a KX250f....Smile

can't believe that Pro Circuit has done much 2 stroke RD since 2004 for reeds bike, maybe AC's super mini.....I think all the tuners mentioned in this thread are more current and can give you what your looking for....
CamP
1/3/2014 8:06am
A 295cc big bore is the way to go for an overweight vet C rider. A pipey ported 250 is not the hot setup if you are tired in three laps.
CamP
1/3/2014 9:46am
Hey! Who said anything about overweight! Sheesh. I'm a svelte 185.
I should have said "typical" overweight vet C rider.

I would still recommend a 295cc big bore, setup for smoother power. When you are racing against 450's, you need more torque, rather than peaky top end horse power.
1/3/2014 10:04am
Thanks, Cam. And I really did not take the "overweight" thing personally. Just having fun! Thanks again.
Jakes Dad
1/3/2014 4:34pm
Harry a simple port timing adjustment with proper squish setup will out do a lot of "off the shelf porting jobs". And much much lower cost.
mx5471
1/3/2014 5:34pm
Jakes Dad. Does your guy do overbore work. I have an '06 YZ125 that needs cylinder work. Our fault, i was away and my son rode it one time too much without us changing the piston. The cases are already ground for a 144. The jug was a new stock one. Got some slight scores in it, now, but as long as I need to get it fixed, I'd like to overbore it to 139 or 144. Does that 2stroke guy do anything like that? With the porting and head work to match?
yzkrazy219
1/3/2014 6:04pm
Anonymous wrote:
OK, gang, let's hear your opinions. I want it ported and they may as well put a ring in it and run a hone through it...
OK, gang, let's hear your opinions. I want it ported and they may as well put a ring in it and run a hone through it while they have it. I'd also like them to split the cases and make sure everything is good and replace any worn parts, etc.

If you'll remember my last post here, you will see I've complained of late about the bike jumping into neutral on rare occasions. I rode WW Ranch this past Saturday and it only did it once, and I'm almost sure it was my giant foot.

I've seen some opinions here about Eric Gorr that seem very positive. I sent them an e-mail over a week ago and have yet to hear back from them. It was a pretty simple e-mail that told them what I was looking for and could they give me a ballpark figure. Not responding sort of turns me off, but I do know that folks get busy during the Christmas season. Still though, over a week is plenty of time to at least say, "We're very busy, but want your business. Please allow us X days to get back with you."

OK, let's hear what you all got to say. Sell me on somebody.
I took Jakes dad advice last year and sent my cylinder and head out to tdc 2stroke performance. He miled the head down to run 93 pump gas. I was getting way too much detonation off pump gas before and I could not afford to run race gas all the time. He also ported the cylinder for me. After getting it back I had absolutely no problems with detonation anymore. I'm here to tell you that this thing was an absolute rocketship with his porting. It was actually scary fast at times. I had a helmet cam video featured here on vital of me riding it. Ill see if I can find it and post the link so you can see how fast it was for yourself.
1/3/2014 7:18pm
Jakes Dad wrote:
Harry a simple port timing adjustment with proper squish setup will out do a lot of "off the shelf porting jobs". And much much lower cost.
Thanks, JD. I'll add that to my knowledge bank.
JOHN CHOATE
1/3/2014 9:28pm
Some of the engine builders listed above have great reputations but I'd like to add one that may not be very far from you HB. HIs name is Todd LaChance of TLR and his shop is located in Lake City (386 752-8262). He builds or has built the engines of Tim Ferry and RJ Hampshire just to name a few. He is very good with 2T as well. Good luck. RIDE ON !!!

Post a reply to: Where To Send YZ250 Engine?

The Latest