Digger437
4/11/2009 7:41pm Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 3:28am
WD-40. Who knew?

I had a neighbor who had bought a new pickup. I got up very early one Sunday morning and saw that someone had spray painted red all around the sides of this beige truck (for some unkn own reason). I went over, woke him up, and told him the bad news. He was very upset and was trying to figure out what to do probably nothing until Monday morning, since nothing was open.

Another neighbor came out and told him to get his WD-40 and clean it off. It removed the unwanted paint beautifully and did not harm his paint job that was on the truck. I'm impressed! WD-40 who knew? 'Water Displacement #40' The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and deg reaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company. Its name comes from the project that was to find a 'water displacement' compound. They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40. The Convair Company bought it in bulk to protect their atlas missile parts.

Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you. When you read the 'shower door' part, try it. It's the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door. If yours is plast ic, it works just as well as glass. It's a miracle! Then try it on your stove top ... Viola! It's now shinier than it's ever been. You'll be amazed.

Here are some other uses:

1. Protects silver from tarnishing.

2. Removes road tar and grime from cars.

3. Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.

4. Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making them slippery.

5. Keeps flies off cows.

6. Restores and cleans chalkboards.

7. Removes lipstick stains.

8. Loosens stubborn zippers.

9. Untangles jewelry chains.

10. Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.

11. Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.

12. Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing.

13. Removes tomato stains from clothing.

14. Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.

15. Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.

16. Keeps scissors working smoothly.

17. Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes.

18. It removes black scuff marks from t he kitchen floor! Use WD-40 for those nasty tar and scuff marks on flooring. It doesn't seem to harm the finish and you won't have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off. Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks.

19. Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly! Use WD-40!

20. Gives a children's playground gym slide a shine for a super fast & slippery slide.

21. Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers.

22. Rids kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises.

23. Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open.

24. Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.

25. Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers.

26. Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles.

27. Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans.

28. Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling.

29. Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly.

30. Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools.

31. Removes splattered grease on stove.

32. Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.

33. Lubricates prosthetic limbs.

34. Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).

35. Removes all traces of duct tape.

36. Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain.

37. Florida 's favorite use is: 'cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers.

38. The favorite use in the state of New York , WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements.

39. WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a little on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time.

Also, it's a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose. Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowed in some states.

40. Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch.

41. WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean rag.

42. Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and rewash. Presto! The lipstick is gone!

43. If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and allow the car to start.

P. S. The basic ingredient is FISH OIL.

These are good ideas. Almost as good as the ones about Vicks VaporRub. Better go out and buy a new can of WD-40.

44. Changing mx tires. Sprayed some on for shits and giggles and couldn't believe how easy it was to change a tire. Anyone else use it for changing tires or other mx tricks?
|
SteveS
4/11/2009 8:03pm
We use it for changing tires and also for getting black marks off the graphics and plastic (from boot scuffs and stuff). It also works for cleaning sticker goo if you don't have anything else to use. We also use it to disperse water after washing the bike.
TerryK
4/11/2009 8:59pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 11:21pm
36. Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain.

40. Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch.

I wear gloves when I use wd-40:

MSDS
Page 1
WD-40
Page 1 of 4
MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET
SECTION 1 PRODUCT AND COMPANY IDENTIFICATION
MANUFACTURER/SUPPLIER:
WD-40 Products Ltd.
P.O. Box 220
Toronto, Ontario M9C 4V3
Information Phone #: (416) 622-9881
Emergency Phone # 24 hr:
Canutec: (613) 996-6666 –
Designated for use only in the event of chemical
emergencies involving a spill, leak, fire exposure
or accident involving chemicals
PRODUCT NAME: WD-40 Aerosol
PRODUCT USE: Cleaner, lubricant.
MSDS DATE OF PREPARATION: March 13, 2008
SECTION 2 HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
DANGER! Harmful of fatal if swallowed. Flammable aerosol. Contents under pressure. Avoid eye contact. Use
with adequate ventilation. Keep away from heat, sparks and all other sources of ignition.
POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS:
PRIMARY ROUTES OF ENTRY: Inhalation, skin and eye contact.
ACUTE EFFECTS:
INGESTION: This product has low oral toxicity. Swallowing of the liquid contents may cause irritation, nausea,
vomiting and diarrhea. The liquid contents are an aspiration hazard. If swallowed, can enter the lungs and may cause
chemical pneumonitis.
EYES: Contact may be mildly irritating to eyes. May cause redness and tearing.
SKIN: Prolonged and/or repeated contact may produce mild irritation and defatting with possible dermatitis.
INHALATION: High concentrations may cause nasal and respiratory irritation and central nervous system effects
such as headache, dizziness and nausea. May aggravate existing respiratory conditions such as asthma. Intentional
abuse may be harmful or fatal.

CHRONIC EFFECTS: None expected.
SECTION 3 COMPOSITION INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Ingredient
CAS Number
Percent
Stoddard Solvent
8052-41-3
45-50%
Petroleum Base Oil
64742-65-0
30-35%
Non-Hazardous Ingredients
Proprietary
Rooster
4/12/2009 2:17pm
SKIN: Prolonged and/or repeated contact may produce mild irritation and defatting with possible dermatitis.

Sounds to me like it's just a mild base. Probably from the solvent to help carry the base oil through any existing grease. Let the solvent evaporate and it would probably be fine to use on the skin.
pitbike502
4/12/2009 3:27pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 11:22pm
5. Keeps flies off cows. - (Farm Use)
7. Removes lipstick stains. (Married Guy Use )
20. Gives a children's playground gym slide a shine for a super fast & slippery slide. (Griswold Family Use)
33. Lubricates prosthetic limbs (King Missile Use)
34. Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell). (2 1/2 Men Use)
39. WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a little on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time. (Billy Ray Cyrus Use)
40. Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch. (umm..)

Who really tried it on these applications?

The Shop

Cygnus
4/12/2009 4:00pm
pitbike502 wrote:
5. Keeps flies off cows. - (Farm Use) 7. Removes lipstick stains. (Married Guy Use ) 20. Gives a children's playground gym slide a shine for...
5. Keeps flies off cows. - (Farm Use)
7. Removes lipstick stains. (Married Guy Use )
20. Gives a children's playground gym slide a shine for a super fast & slippery slide. (Griswold Family Use)
33. Lubricates prosthetic limbs (King Missile Use)
34. Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell). (2 1/2 Men Use)
39. WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a little on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time. (Billy Ray Cyrus Use)
40. Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch. (umm..)

Who really tried it on these applications?
39 for me.
racer369
4/13/2009 1:35pm
My 95plus grandmother has used it on her hands for 30 plus years for her arthritis
fcr
4/15/2009 1:27pm
Tried it on a portion of my truck window. All it did was attract Gulls and Racoons.
4/15/2009 6:47pm
common now everyone knows wd-40 is the best chain lube ever made
fcr
4/15/2009 7:40pm
I actually use it as a water dispersant after washing. Then lube chain .
jmc2
Fantasy
1690th
4/15/2009 8:06pm
fcr wrote:
I actually use it as a water dispersant after washing. Then lube chain .
yep...
drmarkr
4/15/2009 10:14pm
I use it to clean construction adhesive and roofing tar off my hands...works great. It will dry out ("defat") your skin though. I wash with soap and water afterwards, and apply some hand lotion.

flynbrian
4/16/2009 4:44am
Here in the southern part of Illinois we have Oiled roads. When it is about 90deg outside they get real soft and sling oil allover the side of your truck. WD40 works great to get that stuff off. And spray some in the electrical connections like the trailer plud to prevent corrosion. Do not spray your brake rotors!!Unsure

Post a reply to: WD40

The Latest