VP C-10 for 4 stroke?

A buddy of mine won a few 5 gallon containers of VP C-10 and said he'd give me some. I was looking to get U4 but I'm having a tough time finding any. The description on VP's site sates:

"The best, most consistent non-oxygenated unleaded racing gasoline available. C10 does not contain any metal compounds and will not harm catalytic converters or oxygen sensors."

TYPICAL VALUES
• Color: Clear
• Motor Octane 96
• Research Octane: 104
• R+M/2: 100

It doesn't say anything in particular about being suited for 2 or 4 strokes. Just like to know anyone's opinion before I put it in my bike. For reference I ride a 2015 KX450F, stock except for a full PC T-6 exhaust.
|
a22
9/12/2016 5:06pm Edited Date/Time 9/12/2016 5:07pm
Sorry cannot help with any advice but just curious of the Octane ratings :-

TYPICAL VALUES
• Motor Octane 96

What does the Motor Octane =96 and Research Octane =104 refer to exactly?
Presume the R+M/2=100 is the Octane between the Motor and Research figure averaged out, equalling 100?

Sounds kind of interesting, would like to know more bout these ratings.
arvid
9/13/2016 1:54am Edited Date/Time 9/13/2016 1:55am
The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel in a test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing the results with those for mixtures of iso-octane and n-heptane.
Another type of octane rating, called Motor Octane Number (MON), is determined at 900 rpm engine speed instead of the 600 rpm for RON.[1] MON testing uses a similar test engine to that used in RON testing, but with a preheated fuel mixture, higher engine speed, and variable ignition timing to further stress the fuel's knock resistance. Depending on the composition of the fuel, the MON of a modern pump gasoline will be about 8 to 12 octane lower than the RON, but there is no direct link between RON and MON. Pump gasoline specifications typically require both a minimum RON and a minimum MON.
Anti-Knock Index (AKI) or (R+M)/2
In most countries, including Australia, New Zealand and all of those in Europe, the "headline" octane rating shown on the pump is the RON, but in Canada, the United States, Brazil, and some other countries, the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), and often written on pumps as (R+M)/2). It may also sometimes be called the Posted Octane Number (PON).
a22
9/13/2016 4:30am
^^ Thanks Arvid for the detailed information and explaination- seems interesting and a fair bit to it!
GregDVT
9/13/2016 10:55am
A buddy of mine won a few 5 gallon containers of VP C-10 and said he'd give me some. I was looking to get U4 but...
A buddy of mine won a few 5 gallon containers of VP C-10 and said he'd give me some. I was looking to get U4 but I'm having a tough time finding any. The description on VP's site sates:

"The best, most consistent non-oxygenated unleaded racing gasoline available. C10 does not contain any metal compounds and will not harm catalytic converters or oxygen sensors."

TYPICAL VALUES
• Motor Octane 96

It doesn't say anything in particular about being suited for 2 or 4 strokes. Just like to know anyone's opinion before I put it in my bike. For reference I ride a 2015 KX450F, stock except for a full PC T-6 exhaust.
Since they mention catalytic converters, I would assume it is perfectly fine to use in a four-stroke.

The Shop

9/16/2016 11:42am
I reached out to VP's support and they recommended cutting the C10 50/50 with pump gas. They said T4 would be the best for me to use 100% but I haven't gotten around to finding any of that yet. I may just order some straight from them in the future. Case closed!

Post a reply to: VP C-10 for 4 stroke?

The Latest