Torque Wrench

mx5471
Edited Date/Time 6/3/2016 2:55am
My son finally graduated college, and got a great job 1300 miles away. He came this weekend and took 3 of his bikes back with him. I offered him a new set of tools, or my tools, that we used on his bikes for all those years. He asked for mine. I said good choice. They know what to do, you don't even have to. He's good at wrenching on his bike. Over the years, we learned together. So, he took them away. My question is about torque wrenches. I never liked what I had. I had one craftsman and it was never right, and another one, I don't even remember what brand, it was expensive, but junk. I want to get him a good one. I've heard good stuff about the snap on electronic ones, even from a mechanic at the shop were we bought his bikes. I know they are pricey, but something good will last him a lifetime. Where can I get a good price on one, and what are your thoughts? Thank You Gentlemen.
|
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
5/30/2016 11:52pm Edited Date/Time 5/31/2016 12:00am
I have the digital Snap-On wrench. There's no reason to ever need another one, IMO.
I found mine used on eBay. It was a Snap-On mechanic selling it. Take the batteries out when not in use, mine had been repaired from batteries leaking inside.

I've seen them used from time to time, but they don't last long.
Here's one-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231948277946?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_ref=http%25…

And a few more-
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/snap-on-digital-torque-wrench
Slosh 112
5/31/2016 3:55am
I have the standard mechanical type Snap-On 1'2" drive torque wrench, I was going to buy a tech wrench but then I figured Im working on dozers not the space shuttle, a friend of mine also a diesel fitter has one and I've used it from time to time, I don't like that it has no click it just vibrates and lights up, although it has a light scale like a digital tacho I am more accustomed to the click when reaching the right tension. When it comes to spanners, sockets, ratchets, screwdrivers and toolboxes you can't beat Snap-On.
tomm55x
5/31/2016 4:56am
I have a snap on 3/8s and 1/2 inch drive digital torque wrenches, they are the best torque wrenches I have ever used!! I am very happy with both of them, they were expensive but I don't feel I'll need any other torque wrench ever, they cover everything from FT pounds to NM and everything in between, they even calibrate angles, needless to say I am impressed with both of them.

The Shop

5/31/2016 5:46am
I use CDI torque wrenches that are basically rebadged Snap-on torque wrenches without the hefty price tag. I bought two different sizes (can't remember the sizes/or range rather), but they will cover the entire range of anything I need to do on my bike. I paid around $100-$115 each.
Micahdogg
5/31/2016 12:36pm
I love my Precision Instruments wrenches. They are bought/re-branded by a lot of people like snapon and matco, just cheaper to go direct. http://www.torqwrench.com/ this guy...
I love my Precision Instruments wrenches.

They are bought/re-branded by a lot of people like snapon and matco, just cheaper to go direct.

http://www.torqwrench.com/

this guy sells them on ebay for a good price as well:
http://stores.ebay.com/TOOLTOPIA?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
I second this. American made, servicable, reliable and accurate.

Top one is 0-25ft lbs dial wrench for delicate stuff like cam caps. D2F25FM with a memory needle to easily read your highest value. $175

Bottom is 20-100ft lbs, twin beam, flex head. C2FR100F and $140.

These kick so much azz and I punch myself daily for not having bought these ten years ago. Those craftsmans are like comparing a chinese pitbike to a new CRF. You won't regret it. I also got a bigger one (C3FR250F. ½ drive, flex head, 40-250ft-lb, split beam = $150) for lug nuts and heavier auto repair stuff. Under $500 for all 3 and they will last forever.
lumpy790
6/1/2016 7:22am
I have had a Snap On 3/8 torque wrench for 30 years. The ratchet head took a crap and trying to get a Snap On man to fix it has been a pain and still not successful. I live in a small town that is not on a snap on tool truck route. I ran into one Snap On man at a shop and he did not have the parts needed and he does not come through my area.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
6/1/2016 8:36am
Been wrenching on my own bikes for 35 years and almost never use a torque wrench. Hand is fully calibrated now. I have never had a failure related to not using a torque wrench but I have seen plenty of torque wrench users blow out threads or bust off bolts because they were determined not to stop until they felt that click. Also seen them lose bolts and parts and scratch their heads saying "but I torqued it to spec????"
Micahdogg
6/1/2016 8:45am
FGR01 wrote:
Been wrenching on my own bikes for 35 years and almost never use a torque wrench. Hand is fully calibrated now. I have never had a...
Been wrenching on my own bikes for 35 years and almost never use a torque wrench. Hand is fully calibrated now. I have never had a failure related to not using a torque wrench but I have seen plenty of torque wrench users blow out threads or bust off bolts because they were determined not to stop until they felt that click. Also seen them lose bolts and parts and scratch their heads saying "but I torqued it to spec????"
Are you interested in selling your hand for less than $150? If so, I would buy FGR's hand.
Andrew337
6/1/2016 8:55am
I also have the Precision Instruments C2FR100F (3/8" drive 20-100 ft.-lb.), it is a fantastic tool. The electronic ones are very nice, but for the DIY mechanic where it may spend months at a time without being used I wouldn't want something with batteries. I know that my Precision Instruments torque wrench will be ready to go, every time, for the rest of my life.

Personally, I wouldn't buy Snap-On (or other tool truck brands) unless you find a smoking deal and/or are buying used. They make excellent tools, no doubt, but they are targeted towards the pro mechanic that needs the warranty service of a dealer stopping by every week, and are priced accordingly. I don't make a living with my tools, so I can get by if I need to send a tool away for warranty work (though I've never needed to).
smoothies862
Fantasy
676th
6/1/2016 6:54pm
FGR01 wrote:
Been wrenching on my own bikes for 35 years and almost never use a torque wrench. Hand is fully calibrated now. I have never had a...
Micahdogg wrote:
Are you interested in selling your hand for less than $150? If so, I would buy FGR's hand.
ill see your 150 and raise $5.Tongue
Slosh 112
6/1/2016 8:19pm
Andrew337 wrote:
I also have the Precision Instruments C2FR100F (3/8" drive 20-100 ft.-lb.), it is a fantastic tool. The electronic ones are very nice, but for the DIY...
I also have the Precision Instruments C2FR100F (3/8" drive 20-100 ft.-lb.), it is a fantastic tool. The electronic ones are very nice, but for the DIY mechanic where it may spend months at a time without being used I wouldn't want something with batteries. I know that my Precision Instruments torque wrench will be ready to go, every time, for the rest of my life.

Personally, I wouldn't buy Snap-On (or other tool truck brands) unless you find a smoking deal and/or are buying used. They make excellent tools, no doubt, but they are targeted towards the pro mechanic that needs the warranty service of a dealer stopping by every week, and are priced accordingly. I don't make a living with my tools, so I can get by if I need to send a tool away for warranty work (though I've never needed to).
do you get it calibrated?
Micahdogg
6/2/2016 6:51am
The PI tools do come with calibration sheets and can be serviced. I know my PI dial wrench was built upon order, but I can't recall if the other two were the same way. For the money and quality and standing by a USA company who will stand by their work its a win all around. Also, anyone who has used a clicker torque wrench were you have to wind and unwind it.....twin beam is where its at. You don't have to unwind anything. My big wrench is set to 120ft-lbs (for lug nuts) and I leave it there no problem.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
6/2/2016 7:23am
I don't suppose any of you have been around this place long enough to remember the Dorque wrench threads. Ahh, the good ole days.
Andrew337
6/2/2016 9:33am
Slosh 112 wrote:
do you get it calibrated?
It came with a certificate of calibration new, other than that I have not had it calibrated, but you certainly could if it matters to you.
Slosh 112
6/3/2016 2:55am
Andrew337 wrote:
It came with a certificate of calibration new, other than that I have not had it calibrated, but you certainly could if it matters to you.
well if you want consistent torque outcomes then yes. Any torque wrench needs to be calibrated at least once a year if used regularly. All types of torque wrenches use some kind of spring in them wether it be a coil spring or a shaft and sliding bar setup and doesn't matter what spring it is it will stretch or sag wich will need adjustment.

Post a reply to: Torque Wrench

The Latest