Tall Guy Tech, 6'-4" and over please

WileCyot
Edited Date/Time 7/1/2015 3:44pm
Alright guys, I figured we could build a discussion regarding bike alterations, riding styles, and how to's for tall people. I'm 6'-8" and love riding motocross so I figured surely there are some tall guys out there like myself trying to ride these bikes meant for 5'-8" pee wees.

I'm currently in the market for a newer fuel injected 4-stroke 450 to replace my 250 2-stroke. I want to figure out which bike has the largest cockpit. I had an 08 CRF450R and it was a pretty well sized bike. It could have been a little bigger and I would have been happy. I love my 06 YZ250 but wheel spin and narrow powerband make riding far too much work for me to enjoy it as much as I did on my ol' tractor of a 4-stroke.

Suggestions?
|
nytsmaC
5/25/2015 7:32pm Edited Date/Time 5/25/2015 7:32pm
I'm 6'7 and my 2014 TM's have a great chassis for tall guys. I haven't felt the need to make any changes on them, both are still stock ergos.

The YZF and KXF are supposed to fit taller guys best out of the big 5. I had a RMZ450 and could never get comfortable on it despite trying bars, clamps and tall seat foam.
WileCyot
5/25/2015 8:36pm
I'm looking at a 2011 KX450F. I'm a bit disheartened at the idea of only 4 gears though.
nytsmaC
5/26/2015 1:47am
450s only really need 3 gears for moto!
WileCyot
5/26/2015 8:58am
nytsmaC wrote:
450s only really need 3 gears for moto!
You make an excellent point. I'm checking it out tomorrow and taking him my Built 09 CRF450R to gander.

The Shop

Tazao
7/1/2015 3:44pm
I'm between 6'2" and 6'3" depending on how well I sleep the night before - Sorry not 6'4"+, but I think I can help a little. I also owned a '08 Honda 450 and really enjoyed the bike. I have spent a fair amount of time looking into how I can be more comfortable on the bike and have come up with a couple pieces that I am happy to pass along.

First, since you are taller you will also have bigger feet and a tendency to miss shifts. To solve this issue the Hammerhead shifter is awesome. I tested one for Vital a last year (link below) and couldn't have been happier - it will be a "must have" on my bike going forward. On my Honda I bought IMS pegs that could be lowered 1/4" and I really liked them. The pegs in combination with the Hammerhead really helped me from missed shifts. I now ride a 2012 Kawi 450 and with the ability to adjust the stock pegs I was able to find the same level of comfort without buying aftermarket pegs.

Second, I have tried raising my bars and at first it helped while standing up, but I felt like it hurt me in the corners. ML512 and I have spoken with a number of taller pro riders about raising bars and they have all come to a similar opinion. So, after some time I moved them back.

Third, I have played with a taller seat which helped my endurance because I didnt have to stand up as far, but it also hurt my turns. The taller seat raised my center of gravity and made me feel like I was "sitting on top of the world". So, finally I abandoned the taller seat and elected to work harder to be in better shape.

Finally, I have moved my bars forward with the use of the Xtrig clamps and it feels like it has helped open up the riders compartment, but not to the point of hampering performance. I bought my Kawi with the xtrigs already installed and have been really happy, but I never got to ride with the stock clamps to see how well the three adjustment locations work. Personally I have been happy with Kawi and feel like it has enabled me to be more comfortable than on my Honda or any other bike I have ridden. The power of the Kawi is also very helpful since I am slightly over 200 lbs.

http://www.vitalmx.com/product/guide/Shift-Levers,109/Hammerhead-Design…

I hope that helps. Tazao

Post a reply to: Tall Guy Tech, 6'-4" and over please

The Latest